ADVERTISEMENT

Rebounding

Shaggydog84

Gold Member
Jan 15, 2008
Was looking at the teams individual stats cuz i've been so dismayed with Brimah's rebounding futility...and i found something interesting. Now, I still don't think he's even a decent rebounder - he gets pushed into bad positioning. But, I've always relied on stats in sports to try and filter out any noise. So, in figuring out each players average rebounds per 40 minutes (my apologies if anyone has done this already) and Brimah's average is higher than Shonn Miller. Facey is #1 at 12.0 (not including players such as Amilo, Foxen & Noyes) Hamilton #2 at 11.3, then Brimah & Enoch #3 at 8.7. Miller is #4 at 8.4. Outside of Gibbs (2.7), purvis is the worst at 4.0...to everyone's point about RP.

I stopped there as I'm frustrated just thinking about the way this team is playing. I've been a fan since the 8th grade (79-80) and have seen alot of teams struggle, but none that had the talent & what seems to be a lack of will. Some ugly BE games where UC shot in the high 20 to low 30% but they still won games with pure determination, defense and rebounding (and Calhoun).

Haven't given up, won't give up - but hard to watch.

The team rebounding has not been good. To be last in offensive boards in the AAC is an embarrassment. You would think big men who can't score can at least rebound. But UConn doesn't get enough second chance points and they don't get out on the break as much as they would like due to substandard rebounding.

It's a real problem against a team like Cincy. UConn has to compete with them on the boards in order to take advantage of their greater overall talent.

Not a surprise that we are so bad at offensive rebounding - we jack up a ton of outside shots which more often than not lead to long rebounds and KO forgets about our best offensive rebounder in Facey for games at a time.

I would have expected a little bit better rebounding numbers overall from Miller, but he's the last one that I can complain about on this team

Reactions: Shaggydog84
When your SF averages almost 9 a game, we should out rebound just about everyone. I think the guards have helped more in years past. It's nice to hold a team to a low fg%, but if they still get a bucket those #s are misleading.

Shaggy, I don't know if it's a lack of will, iMo it's more about a lack of BB IQ and not playing situations better(end of the shot clock/halves and games, getting the ball to the hot hand, force feeding Miller a little more, etc...).

But we've seen the light finally come on this late twice in the last five years. So I'll tortute myself until their last breath.

haha. Yeah, me to CaNolee. and i hear ya on the BB IQ thing...which just baffles me at this level. I watch Brimah, on O, run from the elbow down to the block with the ball on his sides wing. he never stops to find space, nor does he even look for the ball. He's looking to pick...that's his mindset from when he leaves the elbow until he gets down near the block. And there is no set play so what happens is he's waiting there for 3 seconds to pick someone....they see it and of course during this time the ball has been passed around the perimeter a half dozen times, with no pass getting closer to the hoop. Do we not have players who can create one-on-one? I actually thought DHam was better from that perspective but he still has a ways to go. Its like the defensive player is waiting for his behind the back dribble.

the other thing that surprised me, and i think someone mentioned in another thread who was at the game...I was taken back at how upset JA was on what i think was a foul call. He seemed somewhat unconsoleable and i guess he's a ways from being at full maturity. I guess it's to be expected, but when i see less harolded players doing better in the American than our frosh, I'm not sure what to think.

Of course still all in with KO, just frustration rearin it's ugly head.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT