ADVERTISEMENT

RANDY ???? (recap and on to a new era)

Don't even know what to say ????....This is more shocking than firing Diaco 2 days ago....SMH....maybe now we know where the buyout money came from ( Burton? )

Link- Well here it is strait from the Uconn AD and Randy himself
Looks like they got him on the cheap if he doesn't win:
"The terms of Edsall's contract will include $1 million annually in guaranteed compensation, with the opportunity to earn bonuses based on performance and achievement, for a term of five years. The buyouts for the University and Edsall will mirror each other beginning at $3 million and decreasing $1 million each year to zero after the third year."

From HCRE ( wow de je vu, all over again):
"Certainly as I look back on it, I wish I had done things differently in that instance," said Edsall. "I completely understand and respect that there are loyal fans, supporters and former players that still have not forgotten and it will take time to forgive. I have many incredible memories of my time at UConn and I hope the fans do too. It is my goal to get us back to that level of success and I hope that all of the Husky fans out there will be along for the ride."

There's no linkage from the old regime so I guess they're only looking from a high level what he did. Won't take away his success at building a D1A program but he got long in the tooth & FWIW CT HS coaches were not too thrilled with him the 1st time around...

Reactions: the Blades
I like it for UC football. Dude can recruit and obviously knows the landscape and had success.

Hope it returns soooon!!

Reactions: UconNell
Very surprised by this one, still gets me the way he left.
Standing by to see where we go from here....

Always had good defenses and running backs, could never recruit a good QB.

Anybody know if the Civil Conflict Trophy will be listed on eBay? If so, I am thinking of bidding on it.

Why did HCRE leave Maryland?? And have to question 'TexasSailor' above..didn't HCRE recruit Orlovsky as QB???

He was fired from Maryland after going 22-34. Maryland was 0-12 against ranked opponents under Edsall, and only two of the 12 games were decided by single digits.

Why did HCRE leave Maryland?? And have to question 'TexasSailor' above..didn't HCRE recruit Orlovsky as QB???
For those who haven't followed it here's the recap. Edsall went to Maryland... immediately ran players off the team, alienated everyone with his strict discipline/ my way or the highway approach. Then followed that up with 2-10, 4-8 seasons. ( they supposedly had some real bad academics, Edsall 'Shocked' At Maryland Academic Situation , but when has that ever mattered in big money college FB ?) Also in his boorish ways he took players names off their jerseys( like he did at Uconn at some point if I recall) and made another bunch of rules as the new Sheriff in town .... (Maryland, His Maryland: Randy Edsall Is The Lawgiver )

Then in his typical Edsall way (74-70 at Uconn ) after he broke everyone down he followed it up with 2 average seasons(7-6) in which they made bowl games with him losing both. But surprisingly, like Diaco, he turned mediocrity into a (contract extension) even though they fired him within the year. ( in his case after a 2-4 start in 2015 while alienating the Maryland media, fan base and certainly players along the way )

To me when you follow the money trial and Uconn's limited resources in the AAC, this is a money deal and who they can get on the cheap with a P-5( BCS) HC'ing resume to do the job in the North East.. Diaco would have cost them $7.8 Mil for the next 4 years ( $1.8 million in 2017 and $1.9 million in 2018 $2 million in 2019 and $2.1 million in 2020.) They bought Diaco out for $3.4 Mil, so they saved $4.4 Mil....And since Edsall has some change left from the Maryland buyout and he is now damaged goods he was willing to take this job at $1 million annually ( $4 mil for 4 years ) in guaranteed compensation for a term of five years., with bonuses based on performance. Uconn actually saves $400,000 unless RE wins, they get rid of Diaco, plus they owe Edsall no buyout after 3 years if he fails.

I'm shocked they went in this direction, even though RE's getting alot of support already from most of his Alumni. Supposedly his recruiting had also tailed off in Maryland,
( even with all that UA/Kevin Plank's money) but at least he's been recruiting the east coast up until last year, unlike Pasqualoni who was away from the CFB game for 7 years when Hathaway hired him.

But I guess we can look at the bright side, with as boring, dull and vanilla ( please hire a dynamic OC !) as Randy is he'd never come up with something as idiotic as a Civil Conflict trophy and the press conferences are usually resigned to who gets thrown under the bus when things fall apart: Yes, Randy Edsall Was Dreaming ...

ps: regarding assistants here's a list (Maryland 2015) of guys he had his last year...3 of his former Uconn coaches :
  • Lyndon Johnson (Assistant Head Coach / Outside Linebackers)
  • Terry Richardson (Running Backs)
  • Darrell Perkins (Defensive Backs)

Last edited:
They could have gotten a young and up and coming coach on the cheap..........as opposed to an older rehashed guy. He will likely field solid teams but I don't think RE is the guy to take UConn to the next level.

I am just shaking my head, as I don't really think he was the best candidate out there. He has proven to be a solid but not great coach, and I don't think the offers have been piling up for him since Maryland fired him. It's not really clear to me why things went south on him so quickly at Maryland, and I am concerned about that, plus his record against good teams was awful. I understand that the UConnprogram was badly damaged by Pasqualoni/Diaco and needs to be rescued, and he has proven to be a competent coach at UConn, but what I saw coming was a young up and coming offensive coordinator with a bright mind looking for his chance, not a retread who wore out his welcome at his own alma mater and ran the program into the ground.

KSTW, serious question, would you have bought season tix if they did hire "another" fresh face ? If not it probably doesn't matter what you think...

I imagine that Maryland did not think Edsall would be so gutless when he left UConn. What other athletic director would want to take a gamble on him after he trashed Conn's program and was fired from Maryland. The fact that UConn took him back is a testament to how far the program has fallen.

Is recruiting message should be "I am responsible for creating this mess and I promise that I will fix it"

This is still shocking to me...Here's another one from a writer who was not his biggest fan ( read "was dreaming" above)----
Jeff Jacobs: Reintroduction Of Edsall Brings Healing And Hope

From the article:
" Who he hires as his offensive coordinator, the way he builds his offense is going to be fascinating. He says he wants to recruit a quarterback who can run and throw.

"I want to find a route where we can be multiple in what we do. I haven't had a chance to study the roster, but there seems to be a lot of tight ends. ... There are things you can do there. Having the opportunity to be in the NFL, there were a lot of things I could study and see. To me, you have to be multiple now. You have to use three wide receivers and a tight end, or two and two.

"Spread people out. ... I want to be somebody who has an aggressive open attack that can score points. You've got to be able to score points in this day and age. I played the style of play back then because of who we were, and it allowed us to win."

"The game still comes down to the blocking and tackling, regardless of whether you spread people out or whatever you do," Edsall said. "But if you take a look, what are kids doing nowadays? It's all these 7-on-7 tournaments. Everything is wide open."

Just a flashback to how we got here.....The Jim Mora Era ......Surprise !!! RE was a massive fail but you can't forget where you've been and how you got there, before you try to figure out where you want to go !!! .........good luck HCJM !!!

(PS , it's amazing what the Ollie and Diaco/RE 2.0 era's did to this massage board. Anyone who questioned the posters who called these coaches out, were looked at as bad Uconn fans. Thing was all these 3 HC's did was destroy the Uconn brand and fan base along with most posters who left because it wasn't fun anymore)

So here's to the Dan Hurley hire and hoping the AD got this one right & Uconn FB is headed back in the right direction too, but only time will tell !

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT