ADVERTISEMENT

Other Big East Action

I don't like the Big East rule on Covid cancellations, and it's not consistent with what most other college and professional sports leagues are doing, but it is what it is. You just gotta hope there are no Covid shutdowns like with UCLA right now.

Hate to say it, but I kinda see where this thing is gonna go fan wise too, It's just a matter of time.( So much for sold out venues, SMH )

You just gotta hope there are no Covid shutdowns like with UCLA right now.
Yep here we go again.... there's a bunch of games all over....another in the BE

That's unfortunate for DePaul. Fortunately for UConn DePaul isn't on the schedule next week although if they were, it would be a forfeit to UConn. At this point in the season, though, I would rather have a game than a paper win.

Right now Villanova is down 10 at home to Xavier, and the Villanova team is really struggling shooting the 3s and it's why they have been blown out 2 straight games and down in this one. Unlike UConn which can get by in many games with average to moderately suck-ass 3 point shooting, Villanova doesn't have the same business model. Villanova relies on 3s and offensive efficiency, and not rebounding and D like UConn.

Just heard Villanova is 11-60 from 3 point land the last 2.5 games. That's under 20% and sucks monkey balls, especially for a team which stakes it's offense upon making them.

Big East Announces Formal Policy Change on Covid Impacted Games:

For the disappointed UConn fans who have no UConn game to watch Saturday, a good Big East game will be going forward, at least as of now. Villanova at Seton Hall, 2 pm. If all goes well for UConn, their next game will be at Seton Hall on Saturday January 8. So this game will be a scouting opportunity for UConn.

Providence will also be at DePaul Saturday as the Blue Demons hope to rebound from their own Covid issues at home against PC.

In a surprise,Marquette put a really hard ass whipping on Providence last night, 88-56:
I saw Marquette's prior game against Creighton in which they came back from 17 points down to tie game and send into OT, only to have Creighton hit a 3 at the buzzer to tie the game at the end of OT and then win in 2OT.

UConn was certainly fortunate to get out of their gym with a win. On another note, UConn is still the only team that has beaten Auburn.

Last edited:
DePaul 96, Seton Hall 92

Seton Hall was feeling a little too good about itself after being gifted a win by UConn and was brought back down to Earth by the Blue Demons.

Marquette 73, Seton Hall 72- UConn's win at Marquette is looking better and better

Xavier 80, Creighton- X takes care of business at home.

Marquette is up by 1 at half against Villanova. UConn's win at Marquette, like the one against Auburn, is looking better and better. Since losing the OT game to Creighton that they should not have lost, they have beat Providence by 32, Georgetown by 28, DePaul by 11 and Seton Hall by 1. This 4 game winning streak has them at 4-3 in the Big East. Tonight on the road, they have taken it to Villanova so far. A win tonight by Marquette would be helpful to UConn

Meanwhile, Creighton knocked down 14 of 27 3s to hammer St. John's, 87-64, making one wonder why UConn struggled to beat the Johnnies. This game was one sided pretty much all the way. Creighton now tied with UConn at 3-2 in this viciously competitive Big East.

Final score at Villanova:

Marquette 57, Villanova 54

I watched almost all of this game. Marquette's defense was awesome in the last 5 minutes. Villanova really just could not score. Meanwhile Justin Lewis had a great drop step move and score and then hit the winning 3 pointer with 11 seconds to go. 21 points for Lewis.0

It was Marquette's first win ever at Villanova and Marquette's 5th win in a row.

One issue Marquette has, which possibly prevented them from winning this game comfortably, is Kolek cannot shoot at all and it's a problem for them as he is being left open and can't make open shots. He is sort of like AJ last year. He is otherwise a good player, excellent passer and ballhawk who had some key steals, but he really, really needs to work on his shooting. In the return game when UConn play them it's a 4 on 5 situation when he is on the court and they are on O, so sag off him and let him shoot.

Final score at Villanova:

Marquette 57, Villanova 54
Interesting that Nova only dropped 3 spots (#6) with last nights home loss......Big East now with 7 teams in the NET top 50.

Don't look now but the teams of the AAC , soon to be C-USA 2.0 , have a total of 1 team in the top 64 and Houston (#3 ) will be gone from Aresco's disaster of a conference, soon enough too.

NET-Rankings-JAN-20-2022.jpg

Last edited:
Final score: Providence 69, Butler 62

Cooley's Boys stay in 1st place in the Big East with a 6-1 league record.

Final score Marquette 75, Xavier 64

Marquette, behind the Lewis and Morsell show, has won 6 Big East games in a row after losing its first 3. UConn road win over these guys is looking better and better.

Meanwhile Marquette, which has won 7 straight Big East games, did something UConn could not do, which was roll Seton Hall in New Jersey, behind 33 points from Justin Lewis:
True and like I said when it happened, I've watched Kadary Richmond a bunch of times between Cuse and with SH. The guy had the game of his life vs. Uconn but he's normally poison to winning with his horrible shot selection and TO's.

He kills the Hall even more now with Aikens out the last 3 games. Last night Richmond had the best shooting night(4-9) since Uconn, to go along with his normal sloppy game of 7 TO's. That's after his 3-19 and 0-8 games along with 11 TO's. I don't know how Willard can play this guy as much as he does while he kills his team. I guess that career night and beating Uconn gives him alot of leeway. Since the Hall have dropped 4 of 5, mostly because of him ( he's shot 22%), since their Uconn OT win.

Not having Aiken the last 3 games has hurt the Hall badly. Aiken is a devastating penetrating guard. I think his father was a track star for UConn and he has those genes.

Simply incredible game between Providence and Marquette won by PC 65-63. Awesome. Best game in Big East this year as Cooley topped Shaka Smart. Providence crowd was a huge factor.

Marquette led virtually the whole game, but there were 2 really huge plays by Nate Watson that helped Providence surge ahead. He had a grown man O-board, dunk and one, then stuffed Lewis. Kolek and Lewis both had shots to tie the game at the end and both missed.

Nate Watson is a beast who is a huge factor in PC being 8-1 and in first place of BE

Tough loss for Marquette which had won 7 in a row and could have won this one if they had made a couple of more plays. Not as tough as their loss to Creighton that started the winning streak, but tough. They had the game and then PC made some big plays on them.

It's big, but in their most recent home game they needed OT to beat DePaul. I watched that game and PC was down by 3 very late, but made big plays at the end of regulation and OT to win the game. They were looking ahead to this game. Cooley does have some good defensive game plans.

Was watching the pregame show with Renee Montgomery, who was a really great point guard at UConn 2006-2010. UConn may not have had as good of a pure point guard since her. Moriah Jefferson and Crystal Dangerfield were both good, but Renee was better. Sue Bird was the best of course but Renee was second and Jen Rizzotti third, and then Moriah and Crystal.

Villanova proved last night that they are still the Beast of the Big East. PC really allowed too many open looks by Gillespie (some of which were created by shot fakes by Gillespie that had PC defenders faked out of their shoes). However it will not be easy to win any game at PC.

Villanova proved last night that they are still the Beast of the Big East. PC really allowed too many open looks by Gillespie (some of which were created by shot fakes by Gillespie that had PC defenders faked out of their shoes). However it will not be easy to win any game at PC.
Other thing I noticed watching Nova, is again their high IQ in taking care of the ball on offense and almost never a bonehead play and limited TO's. ( #1 in BE). Basically they don't beat theirselves because if nothing else they usually work on isolations with no hectic passing ( unlike Uconn) to always get a good look/shot off.

I agree. Nova is very high IQ on offense. I don't think they have the best talent they have had, but their offense in particular is very efficient and cohesive. They also lead the Big East in 3 point shooting. Effective 3 point shooting enables teams to spread the defense out and operate more efficiently. In watching the UConn women as soon as they inserted Azzi Fudd as a starter and she started knocking down 3s and/or being a threat to do so, UConn's offense started suddenly looking a lot better and the bigs suddenly were scoring a lot of points with teams not playing that sagging pack line defense due to Fudd. Now I expect UConn women to run the table regular season and Big East tournaments. A 2 seed seems like and they may be an outside shot at a 1.

I don't understand how St. John's goes out to Cincy and drills Xavier and UConn couldn't. UConn won at Xavier by 8 last year with a team that wasn't as good or experienced, but this year they go out and lose by 6. And St. John's goes out there and easily wins. It's upsetting.

UConn is getting important help tonight from Providence, which is beating Creighton at half. A Creighton loss drops them into 4th place and leaves UConn in sole possession of 3rd place. A UConn win tomorrow drops Creighton a game behind UConn and sets up the showdown Wednesday night in Omaha in which UConn could clinch no worse than 3rd place and the 3 seed with a win. This in turn would result in a bye for the first round of the tournament. The 3 seed will likely get Villanova in the semifinals, however, so one must be careful of what one wishes for. Would UConn rather have a 4 seed and play PC in the semifinals? Stay tuned.

ADVERTISEMENT