ADVERTISEMENT

Other Big East Action

Butler having problems with putting Western Michigan away, but Xavier destroyed Oakland by 52.

Georgetown with an 8 point win over UMBC and SJU at the moment leads St. Peter's by 2.

Also nice job by Nova with an 18 point second half turnaround to avoid a bad loss for the BE to a very
competitive BC squad ( with former Husky commit Ashton-Langford). I also see that AAC/Tulane transfer Caleb Daniels is a starter for the Cat's and got buckets. They get Bobby's AZ St. team tonight- 9:30pm

BOX- (3) Villanova 76
vs Boston College

" Big East 8-0 on opening night "

Last edited:
Villanova looked good last night in beating Bobby Hurley and ASU to win the Empire Classic. Jeremiah Robinson-Earle has now emerged as VU's main man player and had 28 points. ASU looked to me like a quick, smallish team, but had a lot of trouble on the boards (crushed by 16) and that was the difference in the game.

Incredible ending to regulation of Villanova- V Tech tonight. Up 1, and shooting a FT with 1.3 seconda left, the V Tech player inadvertantly sank the attempted intentional miss. Villanova got the ball out of bounds. V Tech then fouled on the in bounds pass and Villanova, which had been missing all its FTs the last few minutes, made 2 to tie and send into OT.

St. John's managed to blow a 20 point lead to BC which whittled it down to 1 in the final minute, before hanging on for a 97-93 win. SJU looked like they may have run out of gas at the end of the game but managed to upset the Eagles who were 2.5 point favorites. SJU looks like they may be lacking size up front. BC had multiple chances to tie the game at the end but had a few bad TOs and multiple bad shots.

Villanova 87, Hartford 53
Providence 63, Davidson 62
Navy 78, Georgetown 71
Oklahoma State 70, Marquette 62
Creighton 94, Omaha 67

BE was 1-3 on the night, Xavier the only winner (Loss -PC, St.Johns and the Hall to URI)

The performances by PC and SHU tonight were particularly disappointing. Providence was hammered by Indiana and Alabama in 2 of its last 3 games, and Seton Hall was handled more easily by URI than I would have expected.

Texas, down 5 to Villanova second half, has elected to now go with a very big lineup against the Wildcats. Texas has some good wins so far and this would be a very good NET enhancer for Villanova and the Big East after their loss to V-Tech.

Villanova just won against Texas 68-64. Watched most of the second half. Villanova led by 2-6 points most of the second half but Texas tied the game with 2:29 left on a 3. After that, Texas had a couple of very bad possessions with TOs and bad shots, and Villanova was able to extend back to a 4 point lead and Gillespie made 2 FTs to seal the win. I thought Villanova played good D down the stretch and they just execute their offense better than Texas. Texas has a tall and athletic team but they take their first loss.

Villanova does not beat itself in these tight games, I have noticed that they play a very smooth game, look unrattled and execute crisply. I read that Jay Wright blamed himself for the V Tech loss, saying he played his starters too along against a deep team and they wore down, which is what it looked like when I watched that game. V Tech came at them in waves and looked fresher and more energetic down the stretch and in OT. UConn's depth could be a weapon against Villanova, but VU is a team that really does not beat itself.

Xavier up on Cincy by 2 at half. Xavier is 5-0 to date, but this would be their first win of any consequence. Cincy has only played 1 game and is 1-0.

That's a really tough break for Xavier because they had gotten off to a great start. 7-0, and beat Cincy by 9 and Oklahoma by 22 in their last 2 games. They had been on a roll and if you are an X fan, you hate to see it stop now.

Georgetown has folded like a cheap suitcase and their 18 point lead has been erased completely and Villanova now leads 53-50.

What an awful game by Georgetown, which went from 18 up to losing by 13 on home court, 76-63. They looked like classic frontrunners and when the shots stopped falling their discipline, shot selection and decision making just went out the window.

The 2 guys who keyed Villanova's victory were Gillespie and Swider, who drained a ton of 3s. I think Georgetown did a poor job on those guys, who were mostly left open. I think those are the 2 guys on Villanova who cannot be allowed open looks.

Last edited:
Creighton, UConn's Sunday opponent, smacked down St. John's in NY tonight, 94-76:

Creighton made 13-23 on 3s, and this is a team that will test your perimeter D. Zegarowski is a very pure shooter and cannot be left open. Creighton also hammered SJU on the boards, 44-26.

Last edited:
Creighton handed undefeated Xavier its first loss today, 66-61 at Creighton. Not really a surprise. Creighton is very good and will definitely be one of the teams to beat in the Big East.

Villanova at Marquette later will be a game to keep an eye on.

Villanova cruised past Marquette 85-68 tonight and is now the sole team undefeated in league play at 3-0. All other teams have at least one loss, except DePaul, which has not played a single game this year. Other than DePaul which has yet to play any games, UConn is the only team in the league that has not won a game, having lost their only Big East game to Creighton.

Is anyone watching the first game of the FS1 double header? Seton Hall is waxing Xavier by 17. It's looking like a lot of Big East teams are really good. There are no gimme games in this league.

Seton Hall has a huge team. They are playing Bully Ball against Xavier. UConn will need to break out the big lineup for SHU, for sure.

Marquette was down 52-37 to Georgetown in DC tonight but finished the game with a 22-6 run to win 64-60. This is the second time that I have seen Georgetown blow enormous leads at home to lose games. They had nothing at the end of this game. As for Marquette, up until the final 5 minutes they did not shoot well at all. Pete Gillen was critical of their big man Garcia, calling him a "pretty boy" who likes to "hang outside and shoot jumpers", which does appear to look like what he does, although I note he jerked down 13 boards which basically kept Marquette even on the boards. Marquette's main man tonight was 6'7" senior Jamal Cain, who dropped 25 on the Hoyas.

Marquette shot 39% for the game and 22% on 3s even with the late run.

There is a really good game tonight on FS1, Seton Hall at Creighton. I think Seton Hall is 5-1 in the Big East and they are playing some serious Bully Ball with major bullies on their front line. I see them as a very dangerous team. Right now it is the Hall, Creighton and Villanova that are the 3 teams ahead of UConn, and you want to see games like this because someone ahead of UConn is going to lose. My money would actually be on the Hall, although the game is at Creighton. Vegas line is Creighton -6, I think that is not respectful of the Hall. I like the Hall +6 and maybe also to win the game.

Georgetown has again blown a lead and lost to Butler tonight, 63-55. Butler finished the game on a 10-0 run. Georgetown is now 3-7, and sinks to the rock bottom of the Big East Standings at 1-5. This is not where Georgetown was when Pat Ewing played there and it's a rather sad reversal of fortunes.

Interestingly Seton Hall has elected to go small against Creighton on the road and is starting a 4 guard lineup with Mamukelashvili at center.

Seton Hall is off to a terrible start and their grad transfer from Harvard Bryce Aiken just suffered an ankle injury. After writhing in agony on the floor just got taken off the floor, not under his own power. Doesn't look good

Seton Hall blown out by Creighton 89-53. Surprising result. SHU tried to go small, went away from their strength and it did not work out for them.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT