ADVERTISEMENT

Other Big East Action

Xavier won the Battle for 5th place in conference behind UConn today, beating Providence 74-73 at home in a game in which PC had leads.

In case anyone is wondering Dave Duke clearly ahead of Bouknight for Big East POY and All Conference at the 2 Guard position. Duke is averaging 6.3 boards and 4.3 assists per game and shooting 42% on 3s, way better than Bouk in all categories.

Duke dropped 30 on X today, but X wins on this late 3:

Big East doubleheader tonight on FS1- Butler at St. John's in the first game and Providence at Marquette in the second game. First game should enable some good scouting for UConn on St. John's, which I saw beat BC earlier this year in a game in which SJU blew an enormous lead and nearly lost. I observed that SJ presses a lot, and Butler might be a team that will not do well with that style.

The second game should be a really good one. I am curious to see if Marquette will be able to take down PC at home - which they couldn't do against UConn. An important game for those 2 teams.

Also a top 10 matchup as #9 Wisconsin is at undefeated #7 Michigan- another game worth checking out.

In watching St. John's I assess them to be roughly equivalent to DePaul in talent and athleticism. They are going to press UConn, and UConn will have open looks in transition. Since Butler has so far handled St. John's press, I would think UConn can.

SJU with a late burst to go up 10 on Butler at half, 41-31. SJU is way more athletic than Butler and it's apparent that Butler is again having trouble with athletic defense. I noticed the one guy on SJU you don't want to leave open is this kid, who can shoot:

St. John's has easily beaten Butler 69-57. Both teams are now tied at 2-5 in conference play. SJU looked like the better team to me, by a lot.

Marquette put PC in a 15 point hole but unlike UConn which erased an 18 point Marquette lead in just a few minutes, PC was unable to come back. Marquette 79, PC 69.

Really good game this afternoon as Marquette won at St. John's 73-71. SJU main man player Julian Champagnie had two tough shots to win, missing both in the final 40 seconds. Winning bucket was a strong driving layup by McEwen of MU with around 20 seconds to go. SJU then let way too much time lapse before a driving layup was cleanly blocked by Theo John with 1.5 seconds to go. After an inbounds to Champagnie, his double covered corner 3 at the buzzer missed. Lots of drama in this one, good game.

Butler and Creighton in OT after Butler missed 2 layups and then airballed an open mid range jumper in the final 10 seconds after O-boarding the misses.

Providence has stunned Creighton 74-70 at Creighton tonight, leading the whole game, by as much as 17, and holding off several second half rallies that whittled the lead to 2. Dave Duke made 2 FTs with 3 seconds to go to seal the game.

Nate Watson, PC's 6'10", 260 pound center, bullied his way to a career high 29 points inside. The freshman PC point guard Alyn Breed had 15 points and played very well.

PC had 4 guys with 4 fouls with 6 minutes to go, including Duke and Breed, but somehow none of them were fouled out by Creighton.

This means Creighton will be angry and looking for redemption Saturday against UConn as they let their fans down tonight.

Big win for Eddie Cooley and his guys.

That's too bad because you do not want to lose games that look like they could be wins......although Butler recently beat Creighton in a thrilling game at Butler.

That's too bad because you do not want to lose games that look like they could be wins......although Butler recently beat Creighton in a thrilling game at Butler.
That's been a Covid issue for Uconn's Hockey team too. Besides the recent games against UNH, Uconn hasn't played a team this season that wasn't ranked and they've cancelled all their games against the 3 Hockey East bottom feeders, Maine, Vermont and Merrimack.

Last edited:
In case anyone is wondering Dave Duke clearly ahead of Bouknight for Big East POY and All Conference at the 2 Guard position. Duke is averaging 6.3 boards and 4.3 assists per game and shooting 42% on 3s, way better than Bouk in all categories.
Duke just cost Providence a loss to Georgetown today ......The Friars were behind by two entering their final offensive possession. Duke was fouled with under two seconds left, but only converted one shot from the free throw line. (besides his 5pt / 2-11 FG shooting in the game )

UConn has crept back into a tie for 3rd in the Big East with Xavier, just % points behind but both teams are 2 games back. It seems that UConn could play Xavier if Bouknight returns and they release the Covid pause on 2/13 in time for Bouk coming back.

Last edited:
Some surprising results last night-

St John's 70, Villanova 59- saw some of this game and SJ gave Villanova the same fits with their athleticism and D. Villanova tried to do what UConn didn't do- play zone D- and it didn't work.

Georgetown 86, Creighton 79 - big road win for Hoyas

Seton Hall 60, Providence 43- big road win for SHU

It's a tough league!!!

Last edited:
Reactions: silkcitypirate
Villanova looked terrible without Gillespie and Justin Moore went down with a sprained ankle.
Moore will be limited at best having to play back to backs next week.

UCONN is the favorite going into the BET

ADVERTISEMENT