ADVERTISEMENT

OT- UConn Football Turns to Jim Mora To Rebuild

Like I said above CFB is a 2 sided coin with alot of money being thrown around ( plenty from donors with big pockets like you mentioned above) So most guys who work their way up as free GA's, if they're into the money and setting up a nice retirement, know their are only 2 outcomes, keep winning or your out of a job after a couple of bad seasons. ( see guys like Gary Patterson). So alot of them keep moving before that happens, if someone is willing to pay.

Notre Dame will do fine either way because they're Notre Dame. Indy suits them just fine because they are always included in the P-5 discussions, they get to play for the NC when they are good enough (2012), they control who they play and most important they don't have to split their big money bowl earnings with a bunch of bottoms feeders in a conference like the rest of them do. Plus they have their own huge TV deal.

Also if the CF playoff goes up to 12 teams like they're taking about, Notre Dame will have an even easier seat unless they really suck. Because Notre Dame puts asses in seats and CFB loves that at their bowls games.

Last edited:
Also he's just the opposite of Edsall, who's such a control freak on his breaking down everything and starting from scratch (so he can justify losing) Randy dismissed it and was against using the portal.

Mora said CFB 's new reality is like the NFL in a way.
With CFB recruiting like the NFL draft and you need to supplement your team by Juco's and the Portal which is like NFL free agency , so you can turn the team around and get to winning quicker.
Another thing I thought was interesting is at UCLA he said he really couldn't bring in JUCO's with certain exceptions. He said that's not the case now at Uconn. Which could help because during the Hathaway years, that was the biggest gripe Edsall had. He'd recruit players, Uconn wouldn't allow them in because of academics, then they'd end up at places like Temple or Louisville.

Last edited:
Also he's just the opposite of Edsall, Randy dismissed it and was against using the portal.

Mora said CFB 's new reality is like the NFL in a way. With CFB recruiting like the NFL draft and you need to supplement your team by Juco's and the Portal which is like NFL free agency
Well Mora did what he said he's was gonna do.....now that the final signing day has passed. Unlike Edsall who wanted to break things down, keep starting over with all true FR and wouldn't use The Portal.....

Mora has brought in 10 players from the Portal. He also upgraded the QB room with a RS SO from Penn St. Ta'Quan Roberson (profile), former NFL QB Hugh Millen's son Cale Millen ( profile) who played as a FR at Oregon and one of the best true FR QB's from Florida Zion Turner(profile) , coming in this summer from St. Thomas Aquinas, who had offers from LSU, Maryland, Kentucky, Texas A &M, Pitt, Miami, Louisville, Arkansas.

Now it's time to get Maniacal, LOL !!!
(with the Spring game on campus, April 22nd at Morrone Stadium)

Last edited:
I mentioned this a few weeks ago in this thread ( Mora's staff post # 32 ) but it looks like Mora is already catching some headlines with the latest hire to his Uconn Football staff, now that it's official.... She comes to Uconn from Dartmouth as a DL coach and also spent time with the LA Rams and Tampa Bay in the NFL.

Courant - UConn football breaks down barriers, adds Mickey Grace

Last edited:
Outside look at Coach Mora/ Uconn FB from the New England Football Journal who covers the Patriots, BC, Umass and other NE football, after their first trip ever to Storrs.

>>As soon as you walk in to The Burton Family Football Complex on the campus of the University of Connecticut, you’re immediately reminded of a time not so long ago when UConn football was relevant at the national level....Big East title trophies and a case full of Tostitos Fiesta Bowl memorabilia is hard to miss. Old jerseys and helmets of a few players who helped put the program on the map are proudly displayed.....NFL helmets and quotes, all revolving around alums that have made the leap to the NFL. The hall eventually leads to the indoor practice facility, which is as nice of an indoor facility as you’ll see anywhere in the country.......Coach Mora stopping practice and giving his team an earful – or the celebrations for teammates after a touchdown or an interception in the defense’s case, no matter where you looked, things just looked and sounded different. There was an NFL feel to the entire practice, which is fitting given the NFL-caliber facilities near by.<<

Last edited:
There is no place to go but up after the last 2 seasons!
Well it'll be tough schedule in the first half of the year with 4 teams in this years Top 25 or who got votes. Teams who all won 9 to 12 games last year , @ Utah St, @ Michigan (# 8), @ NC St (#13) and home vs. Fresno St. ( plus home vs. Syracuse 5-7).

But at least Mora isn't taking the Edsall "break it all down and start over with FR" or Diaco's "the first month are exhibition games" approach. Mora has revamped the roster with over 40 new players and brought in 20+ Portal guys, most from P-5's .....Guys that Edsall refused to recruit because he said:

Players in the transfer portal have 'issues'

Thankfully Dan Hurley didn't think like RE or Uconn might not have a MBB team this year....LOL !

LET the games begin !

Alt link- Jim Mora knows UConn football season-opener with Utah State is no ‘warm-up game’

Last edited:
Looking at UConn's schedule I am seeing a maximum of 4 wins, more likely 3. Central CT, Syracuse (maybe), UMass, Ball State. Those look like the only winnable games although hopefully I am wrong.

Looking at UConn's schedule I am seeing a maximum of 4 wins, more likely 3. Central CT, Syracuse (maybe), UMass, Ball State. Those look like the only winnable games although hopefully I am wrong.
I'd put FIU in there too, last half of the year they have a shot to go 3-3......but the first half of the year 1-5 is very realistic..(BTW, Central CT lost their one FBS game last year to U of Miami 69-0, so Uconn has to win that game by a couple of scores to show any improvement. Especially after Edsall got fired after losing to FCS Holy Cross last year leading to the 1-11 season) ....Vegas has 2 1/2 wins as the over- under for Uconn
OPP. Records from last year.......
Aug 27, at Utah St..................(11-3)
Sept 3, CCSU.........................(4-7)
Sept 10, Syracuse...................(5-7)
Sept 17, at Michigan ...............(12-2)
Sept 24, at NC St....................(9-3)
Oct 1, Fresno St......................(10-3)

Oct 8, at FIU..........................(1-11)
Oct 15, at Ball St.....................(6-7)

Oct 29, Boston College............(6-6)
Nov 5, UMASS.......................(1-11)
Nov 12th, Liberty....................(8-5)
Nov 19, at Army.....................(9-4)

Last edited:
Here's the link for times and TV schedule-

Last edited:
Blades would you say the over under on wins is 3, or 4? Objectively speaking to the extent we can. I am not buying Vegas 2.5

Blades would you say the over under on wins is 3, or 4? Objectively speaking to the extent we can. I am not buying Vegas 2.5
Well it's a national betting line and Uconn has no record with national bettors recently so I'd go with the over, if I was a betting type, but time will tell. Would you take the over ?

"It's clear Mora is energized by the challenge in front of him. Since arriving in mid-November, UConn has brought in 40 new scholarship players, meaning nearly half of the 82 scholarship players weren't on the team last year. Mora's new chapter, in many ways, is indicative of the next generation of how college football rosters are built."

"Mora does admit there's a sour taste in his mouth from his firing at UCLA. He led the Bruins to five bowl seasons in six years, including a pair of 10-win seasons in 2013 and 2014. He's quick to point out that UCLA won just 10 games in the three years after he left....."I shouldn't have been fired. You can write that. I should not have been fired. What did they win, [18] games in the four years since I've been fired? "So yeah, I do have a chip on my shoulder. Did I want another chance? Sure."

Last edited:
I am of the opinion that having a chip on your shoulder is never a bad thing either for a college athlete or the coach of the athlete. Time is going to tell with Mora but he seems to be doing the right things. What we need to see is whether and how the team improves over the course of the season. On both sides of the ball and on special teams.

Has a starting QB been named? If so I missed it.

Reactions: the Blades
Has a starting QB been named? If so I missed it.
alt-

Line is Utah State -25.5
Does Vegas know something ? Line keeps dropping.... because to many bettors keep taking Uconn and the points. Opened a few weeks ago as 33 pt underdog, then down to 27 when Mora made his comment, now a few hours from gametime it's down to 24 / 23 at a bunch of sports books. ( Interesting was down as low as 23 about 10 minutes ago but jumped up a little)

Last edited:
In these early season games the actual point spreads mean very little. I think bettors were nervous about the size of the spread and saw UConn as a tempting underdog with a new coaching staff, 50% new roster and a new QB who played at Penn State and seems like a very good, strong armed athlete, if not somewhat inaccurate with his throws per the scouting reports.

Nathan Carter is da man!!!!!

Made it an interesting game (it's been awhile, 4pts in the 4th qtr ) after a rough 2nd qtr and a good regroup in the 2nd half, but the bad PI call was a killer, along with losing the 4 star QB and now the 2 best WR's. Very thoughtful comments after a tough loss from Nate.

That pass interference call and the injuries were not helpful to the cause. I saw Roberson on crutches and it looked like a knee injury. Any update on him? The pass interference call was brutal! It was not PI

That pass interference call and the injuries were not helpful to the cause. I saw Roberson on crutches and it looked like a knee injury. Any update on him? The pass interference call was brutal! It was not PI
Not only you and I but everyone said it from former players to Fox hosts to media types during the

LIVE Game Thread: UConn Football vs. Utah State

Coach Mora talks about the injuries in his post game in this thread-

Uconn at Utah State game notes & media

Coach Mora talks about the injuries in his post game in this thread-

Uconn at Utah State game notes & media

He was kind of vague and said "it doesn't look good" for either Roberson or Marion. Assuming Roberson is done for the season, I am not sure if Zion Turner is the guy they want to go with right now. He did some good things, but I thought he did a very poor job on plays where the pressure got to him. He did make one really good play and extended the play with his feet, but he looked panicked and rushed with some of his passes. Also on the first INT they had him roll out to his left and throw off balance. I was really scratching my head on that play because Turner looked very uncomfortable and awkward throwing a pass off balance rolling to his left. And the DB had that play read 5 seconds before the pass got there. I can't believe that they saw that type of execution in practice, or they would not have run that play, but it looked to me like he was super uncomfortable with that particular throw. I just felt like overall that kid is not ready and needs more time. I wonder if Millen gets more snaps next week.

On the bright side I liked what I saw from the Montreal kid Kevens Clercius, he made one great catch and looks like he could be a pretty good WR. And Jackson Mitchell is a serious terror on defense.

He was kind of vague and said "it doesn't look good" for either Roberson or Marion. Assuming Roberson is done for the season, I am not sure if Zion Turner is the guy they want to go with right now. He did some good things, but I thought he did a very poor job on plays where the pressure got to him. He did make one really good play and extended the play with his feet, but he looked panicked and rushed with some of his passes. Also on the first INT they had him roll out to his left and throw off balance. I was really scratching my head on that play because Turner looked very uncomfortable and awkward throwing a pass off balance rolling to his left. And the DB had that play read 5 seconds before the pass got there. I can't believe that they saw that type of execution in practice, or they would not have run that play, but it looked to me like he was super uncomfortable with that particular throw. I just felt like overall that kid is not ready and needs more time. I wonder if Millen gets more snaps next week.
You know it's OK to post this on the FB board, don't be scared , LOL! ...But as you said above all true and to be expected from a True FR... as I put in the thread linked above....
" a true freshman QB playing a little shaky getting thrown into the fire and having to play cautious. Zion will get better with reps and after the big adjustment from playing HS ball last year."...

JUST a FYI Turner was highly recruited (offers from LSU, PITT, MIA, Ville, TX A&M, etc) but he's still very RAW and probably not ready. OC Nick said as much in the QB video above. QB Tyler P. who looked (IMHO) better as a TR FR last year and is coming back from an ACL is probably not completly ready. The other guy Millen ( NFL QB Hugh's son) who started his career at Oregon and had a few nice runs in the game but he hasn't played much yet in CFB.

So it sounds like, for now, they want to develop Turner on the fly given the injury situation.. CCSU might be a good game to build some confidence.

Last edited:
Also not the easiest job for a raw QB if guys can't get open, this doesn't help:

Jim Mora has the Huskies at as many wins (5) in one season as the fraud Randy Edsall had in 4 seasons (2017-2021).

Was sort of a just win baby game last night. UConn won and covered the spread, and when you win and cover the spread against a team you should beat, it's hard to nitpick. However the stats were not good. 60 yards passing and they were outgained in yardage, at home, by a team that sucks monkey balls. On the other hand 285 rushing yards, with the top 2 RBs out, is somewhat impressive.

Was sort of a just win baby game last night. UConn won and covered the spread, and when you win and cover the spread against a team you should beat, it's hard to nitpick. However the stats were not good. 60 yards passing and they were outgained in yardage, at home, by a team that sucks monkey balls.
+1 ....regarding the passing game, ( despite the great rushing stats ) they'll need to find a way get some WR's open ( need Ross and Marion back) next week vs. Top 25 Liberty (8-1). Who beat Arkansas today. Can't play scared even with a true FR QB.

It was the same vs. BC. A forward pass seems like a bad word to the OC, once they get slightly ahead.

Last edited:
So in other news, it's all about the coaching stupid, LOL! ...... Wonder if Randy Edsall still hates the transfer portal and thinks those guys have problems ? Or if he finally realizes he was the problem ?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT