ADVERTISEMENT

OT- Congrats to Uconn Baseball - AAC champs - on to the NCAA's

It seems like the team finished the regular season and the conference tourney on a very strong note, hope they can do some damage in the tourney and make the College World Series.

It seems like the team finished the regular season and the conference tourney on a very strong note, hope they can do some damage in the tourney and make the College World Series.
True, being a cold weather team and being on the road for all the Feb games and most of March( 17 out of their 1st 18 games), it can take awhile.

As the coach said:
"Sometimes, it takes a team from the Northeast a little more time to come together," Penders said. "That's what happened with us."

although GT will be tough, Florida is ridiculously talented. But, you never know.

my family is really close with Bryan Daniello's family, so this is great news. Hope they keep it up.

I hear Norwalk high has a junior pitcher with a uconn offer depending on how his arm heels post Tommy John.

Reactions: Shaggydog84
More on Coach Penders sitting captain Bobby Melley for Saturday's double header with the season on the line and his redemption Sunday:

Jacobs: UConn Baseball's Bobby Melley Finds Redemption In AAC Title Game
" Melley was suspended Saturday for what amounted to a curfew violation the previous night. In large part it was because of the leadership one of Penders' key leaders did not show among a group of five players. The fact that Melley felt horrible about it befits a senior captain. The fact that he bounced back in the championship to knock in the Huskies' first two runs with a homer and knock in the last run with a single is redemptive and entirely uplifting.....Penders could have played Melley on Saturday and nobody on the outside would have known about the violation of team rules. Nobody got arrested. This involved no violence. Nothing like that. Melley bats No. 3 for the Huskies. His 287 hits over four years rank up there with anybody in the nation. "

"Was it hard? Yeah," Penders said. "Coach Calhoun called me yesterday and said he had a similar situation in Indiana with Jerome Dyson. He said, 'My stomach was in knots. I felt like crap all day.' I said, 'I know how you feel, coach.' "It was one of the worst days I had in coaching and one of the best. [Calhoun] said, 'It's like you got two wins.'" One win on the scoreboard. One for integrity.

From the Uconn Blog: UConn Baseball Headed to Gainesville Regional
UConn's opening game of the tournament is against Georgia Tech on Friday at 1 p.m. and will be televised on ESPN 3.

Uconn Season Statistics

Last edited:
In looking at the interactive bracket it really struck me how similar Bethune Cookman's logo is to Boston College's. For a second there I thought UConn and BC had been put in the same regional and then I realized BC is Bethune Cookman. They are using the same color schematic as well. It's very interesting to me to look at the logos of the various schools. I recall all the controversy over UConn's new logo but I liked it from the start and think it's very distinctive.

Live FRIDAY at 1pm on - ESPN3

CkB_EzPUUAE_O_2.jpg:large

Nail biting last couple of innings, but Uconn holds on to move into the winners bracket:

Reactions: Ozzie3178
So they get Florida in the winner's bracket? Florida has A.J. Puk, 6'7" lefty who is projected #1 overall pick in MLB Draft next week. Only good news is he is more potential than production at this point but throws 97 mph, similar to Andrew Miller of NY Yankees. UConn needs to miss this dude.

So they get Florida in the winner's bracket? Florida has A.J. Puk, 6'7" lefty who is projected #1 overall pick in MLB Draft next week. Only good news is he is more potential than production at this point but throws 97 mph, similar to Andrew Miller of NY Yankees. UConn needs to miss this dude.

Uconn gets to Puk for 5 runs in 4 1/3 innings including a tape measure HR by Bobby Melley, but their own possible 1st rounder( Anthony Kay) gives up the same in a late loss to the Gators..... Final Stats

Huskies Fall To Gators, 6-5
With ace Anthony Kay, projected as a possible first-round pick, starting for UConn and A.J. Puk, projected as the possible No.1 overall pick in the draft, for Florida, a pitching duel was anticipated. But it turned out to be a high scoring battle, tied at five and both pitchers gone by the late innings. Next up GA Tech again:

I am hoping that the NY Yankees use their first round pick which is #18 to draft Anthony Kay. Last year the Yankees drafted another lefty pitcher in the 1st round, Jacob Lindgren, and he pitched with the team out of the bullpen last year but unfortunately hurt his arm. The Yankees need lefthanded starting pitching. Lindgren projects as a reliever and with CC Sabathia coming to the end of the line some new lefty blood is needed in that rotation. CC is the only lefty starter the Yankees have at the moment.

Yeah with that short porch in right field, it always helps to have good lefties to to keep the opponents lefty hitters in check, so Kay might be a nice pick for the Stadium in the 1st or 2nd round. He seems to have good off speed stuff to mix it up too.

So UConn plays G Tech in an elimination game at Noon............winner has to beat Florida twice to win the regional. So UConn has to win 3 in a row against G Tech and then Florida............

Yeah, that 1 run was a big advantage, the Gators are in the drivers seat vs. either Uconn or GA Tech at 6pm today (& Monday if needed).....same set up as Uconn last week when they got the winners bracket bye in the AAC tourney.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT