ADVERTISEMENT

Omar Calhoun Situation- Doghouse?

KhalidShockedTheWorld

Gold Member
Mar 28, 2009
He has been medically cleared to play, but was on the bench in street clothes today. Why? Does this relate back to the incident in Puerto Rico for which he was suspended? Something does not seem right. And from Ollie's public, cryptic statements on Calhoun, I think Omar has himself a seat in the doghouse.

I remember I one time took the deposition of a guy and asked him if he had any hobbies. He said his hobby was building doghouses. He said he had built about 10 for neighbors, family, and friends. He took great pride in this hobby and explained to me in detailed fashion how you put a roof on a doghouse. And I never had thought about it but even a dog does need a good roof over his head.

I wonder if he would be the guy Omar needs to talk to about finding a way out of the doghouse he is in?

This post was edited on 12/14 7:36 PM by KhalidShockedTheWorld

This also reminds me of a guy who found himself in Jim Calhoun's doghouse for a very dumb incident but burst through the door of that doghouse in grand fashion and never looked back.

Does anyone recall when in Rashad Anderson's freshman season he was arrested for dressing up in a Halloween mask and costume and scaring the crap out of people at Hilltop? Incident happened in September 2002 and I found and attached the Courant write up on that story.

Rashad never got in trouble again, but Calhoun kept his ass on the bench FIRMLY until UConn found itself down by 25 points at halftime in a game at the then Hartford Civic Center, against UMass, which had a pretty good team that year.

With nobody making shots, (and I can still see the image in my head) an angry Calhoun points at and tells Rashad early second half to pull off the warmup and get his ass in the game. And Rashad came in and I swear he must have made like 7 3s in that second half, and behind that torrid shooting UConn rallied from down 25 to win by 11. Rashad lifted the whole team up and he never looked back, and the next year his 3 point shooting was a major factor in winning the national championship.

Someone needs to bring in Rashad to talk to Omar Calhoun. And Rashad will tell him not only how to get out of that doghouse but to bust down the front door and come bounding out on all fours!!!!!!!!! Like a junkyard dog!

This post was edited on 12/14 8:59 PM by KhalidShockedTheWorld

http://articles.courant.com/2002-09-25/sports/0209251650_1_rashad-anderson-uconn-coach-jim-calhoun-hilltop

Rumors I'm hearing is that he is protecting his transfer status. If he sits and transfers this can count as his "sit out" year and he can play next year somewhere else.

I hope that isnt the case but then again if its not then he is just soft since clearly Ollie and staff aren't the ones holding him out, this is all on Omar.

I wish Ozzie would post and confirm or deny that. I could understand why he would consider a transfer because Hamilton isn't being unseated but I still think with Purvis's issues and the 3 point shooting woes a healthy Omar could help this team.

Whether it is a doghouse or a possible transfer situation Omar sitting is not helping this team right now.

He is supposed to be back vs Duke so if he sits that game out in street clothes then I think the transfer rumors will pick up even more steam. Even if he is back I can't see him getting much run - 1st game of the season with no built up stamina vs #2 team in the land...

As much as we want Freshman Omar back, I don't think he's coming back. I also don't see him being as useless as a year ago but it would be a shock to me to see him return to form or better this season or even for the remainder of his UConn career.

I'm rooting for Omar but his injuries and confidence hit will be hard to overcome

Silk,

Chances are you are right in your analysis but remember Rashad Anderson had gotten absolutely no time at all before his "bust down the front door of doghouse" game against UMass. It would be really nice even if Omar made 2 3 pointers in the game, maybe would not be breaking down the door like Rashad but it could be a start.

Khalid,

I can't utter Rashad's and Omar's names in the same sentence...I just can't do it. Rashad was cold as ice and one of the best 3 ball shooters we ever had here. This Omar situation is very weird being that KO seemed to take a shot at him not trying to play through the media. I'm sure that helped to stoke the transfer rumor flames

Yeah very weird with Ollie calling him out. This off season Ollie seemed so much in Omar and his family's corner.

Some nonsense happened in Puerto Rico and Calhoun was in the middle of it, and Ollie was not happy about it, that is my read on the shots Ollie took at Calhoun not being mentally ready. Its good that the media has withheld the particulars (Jacobs seemed to know what it was and called it nonsense) but it's not good if we don't see Omar burst from the doghouse soon.

Originally posted by Silk31:
Khalid,

Rashad was cold as ice and one of the best 3 ball shooters we ever had here.
I totally agree but everyone seems to forget Omar's freshman year when he displayed some of the same qualities. Rashad had a relatively healthy career once unleashed from Calhoun's doghouse, and Omar has not had the same fortune. I see some similarities between the two players. I am not saying Omar will be as good as Rashad was, as I think Rashad was one of the best 3 point shooters I have ever seen. But Omar has some of the same qualities. He won some games with big shots as a freshman. He can do it again. That quality never leaves a player.

Transfer rumors aside, would it not be best at this point in time to red-shirt him this year? Truth be told, they probably should have done it last year. I realize that UConn has trouble shooting the 3, but it's wishful thinking that Calhoun will be the answer. Even if he came back in the next week or so, how long would it be before he could shake off the rust? The Coppin State game would have been a nice low-pressure situation for him. I'm not sure that the game against Duke is where he should be testing his shot. Even if he didn't have health issues, he hasn't been on the floor with this team, and there would probably be chemistry issues due to his lack of playing time.

Transfer Rumors are news to me........We definitely need him and he loves this team and teammates.... His pops is firmly behind and in belief of Coach KO..... I will ask Senior about Junior and what they are thinking and see what he says..... but it will be after the Puke game!!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT