ADVERTISEMENT

Ollie says we could add another player...

It could be water MAL or hami.....all graduate this past spring

UConn has two scholarships open, and Ollie said "it's never too late" to add a player, but it seems unlikely at this point. "We're concentrating on the team we've got here," he said. "It [would have] to be the right fit. We've got a great team, and you don't want to mess up that culture and bond they're already creating."

More from KO:
UConn's Ollie Revitalized After Trip To Chile

While away, Ollie got good reports on sophomore Steven Enoch, who averaged 17.3 points and 15.2 rebounds for Armenia in the FIBA Under-20 European championships, returning home last week.

"One thing that stood out in my mind, he rebounded the ball outstanding," Ollie said. "He had some up and down shooting games, from the three. He was shooting too many threes for me, but I like him expanding his game, I like him being on that stage and performing. But one thing I did see consistently is rebounding, he had some monster rebounding games and that's one thing we're going to lose with Daniel Hamilton leaving, our best rebounder, and also Shonn Miller, who was second in rebounding. We're going to have a void there. Hopefully [Enoch] can fill that void and expand his game and use this as a platform for confidence."

I saw what seemed to be a complete highlight reel from those games and he looked GREAT. not good, GREAT. If he has that kind of turn around game and energy we might have us something at the 5.

I'll call it now. Enoch starts over Brimah before mid season.

I am thinking that Dom could be right about that prediction. Enoch showed flashes of immense talent. I once thought I saw the same from Souleymane Wane but I think Enoch is a lot better athlete than Wane.

As impressive as his highlights were, Wnoch had a few putrid shooting games and a ton of turnovers over the summer. Brimah provides a crazy level of rim protection. I'd pump the brakes saying Enoch starts before his junior year unless he proves he can play the 4, which is unlikely given the small PFs in the college games.

A bigger problem for Enoch and to some extent Brimah is just staying on the court. Leaving aside turnover and shot selection issues Enoch had in Europe, his biggest problem last season was a disturbing tendency to be completely out of position on defense with no instincts as to where he should be in terms of spacing and areas of the court to cover. I never saw more back door uncontested layups than when he was on the floor early last season and he literally couldn't be played because of that and cheap and stupid fouls. As the season wore on he looked like he learned a bit but he was still picking up fouls at Okwandu-like pace. I wondered whether he could possibly challenge Okwandu and get a DQ on fouls in 8 or less minutes. Ironically it was Facey who, when forced to play 5 due to the injury to Brimah, who DQ'd on fouls in just 9 minutes of action, certainly making Okwandu blush with pride.

It's good we can at least throw a lot of bodies out there because with the way these guys rack up fouls they have to have bodies. But none of these guys except Brimah has the ability like Chuck O his senior year for game changing blocked shots.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT