ADVERTISEMENT

Ollie Claiming UConn Violated His Constitutional Rights

My reading between the lines of this situation is that the NCAA may be responsible for driving the legal fees up on both sides. The gravamen of Ollie's legal argument is that because the NCAA hasn't told UConn what the alleged infractions were, and because UConn then used those unspecified infraction as the ground to terminate Ollie for cause, Ollie was unconstitutionally deprived of the right to defend himself against the just cause termination which severed the $10,000,000.00 to which Ollie was otherwise contractually entitled. UConn, on the other hand, argues that the mere fact that there were infractions on Ollie's watch, regardless of what they were, brought disrepute upon the school and warranted the just cause termination.

The true nature of the violations, when revealed, will tell us whose argument sinks and whose swims, and will enable a more rapid intelligent settlement. However, the NCAA has not yet said what the infractions are and I have no idea what their timetable is for doing so. They may not care that legal expenses go up with each day for Ollie and UConn. Meanwhile Ollie and UConn can only duke it out until that disclosure happens. It's a complete mess. It does help some lawyers get paid and feed their families and educate their kids but doesn't really help bring a rapid closure for the fans.

Last edited:
Reactions: andersonfro
Where is the advantage in leaking this argument to the media?

I can only speculate that someone believes it will pressure the NCAA to disclose the infractions, but the NCAA may still be collecting information or are otherwise unable to do so. And since they have no bone to pick in this fight, maybe they just don't care. Everyone knows the pace the NCAA works at, and furthermore, UConn's poor draftmanship of its contracts and Ollie's rising legal fees are not the NCAA's problem.

I think someone has to try something to avoid hemorraghing on legal fees.

Let's hope he defends himself in court and does what Ollie does. Lose by 25 points.
You mean kinda like his wife did when she blew him out for that $10 mil + loss and he's been useless ever since....;)

Last edited:
Reactions: CaNOLEE
There seems to be a fairly common theory that Ollie lost his mojo as a coach when he got divorced. It really doesn’t matter why he lost it. He lost it and it’s questionable whether he had any mojo to begin with.

With the benefit of hindsight...I think its self-evident that he never knew how to coach, but he was the right guy for Bazz.

Reactions: Shaggydog84
People think the same thing happened to jimbo fisher(divorce=drop off in performance). Although, I think it has more to do with his sick kid. And losing Jameis Winston to the NFL.

I won't read another KO story and really could care less about this guy who has now turned into a complete chump, IMHO..... but for those......

More NCAA issues(with KO's staff but) ........."The incident had no connection to the school’s firing of former head coach Kevin Ollie for “just cause” on March 10, according to sources close to the situation. " A former UConn assistant coach met with Christian Dawkins and Merl Code, two of the central figures in a scandal that rocked the college basketball world, in a Las Vegas hotel last July. UConn reported the details of the meeting to the NCAA after the assistant coach made athletic director David Benedict aware of the situation. The school concluded that no violations occurred."

Chillious was in Las Vegas on July 28, per a post on his Twitter feed, but other UConn assistants may have been in Las Vegas at the time. In a text late Thursday night, Ricky Moore stated that it “1,000 percent” was not him who had the meeting in the hotel room last July in Vegas.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT