ADVERTISEMENT

Oklahoma State

Blades, I hate the Dukies more than anyone, but Amaker was before the hate started. :)

And Wojo was that guy that you hate if he's on the other team, but loved if he was on your team. I think we need that. And lets face it, the Rat has built a great program down there. While a lot of our guys went on to star in the NBA, his guys who weren't great athletes, became coaches so their tree is going to be more plentiful than ours.

Maybe Ricky Moore becomes a good coach down the road. I can't see Donyell, star players seldom work out, but there are always exceptions.

Blades, I hate the Dukies more than anyone, but Amaker was before the hate started. :)
And Wojo was that guy that you hate if he's on the other team, but loved if he was on your team. I think we need that. And lets face it, the Rat has built a great program down there. While a lot of our guys went on to star in the NBA, his guys who weren't great athletes, became coaches so their tree is going to be more plentiful than ours.
Maybe Ricky Moore becomes a good coach down the road. I can't see Donyell, star players seldom work out, but there are always exceptions.

I hear ya C, I'm not even talking another Uconn guy at the helm and I was KO's biggest supporter to get the job to keep the Uconn lineage. Just shows that even though you can play for one the best and toughest SOB's(JC) in CBB and grind out an NBA career for yourself, it doesn't mean you can pass on the same type of tough as nails leadership behind the bench. Hell KO, should look at the team and coach he played last night....he gave Uconn an old school Jim Calhoun "pressure you at every turn" type of whoopin' ...... But hiring a Dukie to run the Uconn hoops program ???... now that's some strait up blasphemy right there.....next thing you know we'll be hiring a Dukie to run the entire school....oh wait... ;)

Last edited:
Reactions: CaNOLEE
Teaching moments ??? We can only hope and even for this coach...but this has to become Jalen's team right now, if they are going anywhere this season:

"We've got some guys injured, we're young," coach Kevin Ollie said. "But we're not making excuses, we're not going to accept losing. I love the fight in our guys. ( You could've stopped right there KO ) We're just going to keep getting better and better. ... It's an unfortunate thing, but it's a part of a process and I'm going to stay with this process."

"The first half, I panicked off the pressure," Adams said. "I didn't control my poise. I was too passive, and telegraphing all my passes." ( Yep)

"We've just got to be poised in the first half," Ollie said.( you've been the king of bad halves/ quarters and catch-up ball in the last 3 years) "We were making unforced passes, our offense got sped up and we've just got to take control of the game. I think Jalen learned from this, he just became way more aggressive."

Young UConn Men Can't Keep Up With Oklahoma State; Larrier Latest Add To Injured List

Last edited:
Jalen was attempting high bounce passes in traffic on the run, they were telegraphed and were also not necessary if he took another couple dribbles closer to the basket. His efforts to be a point guard were not successful but as a scoring guard in the second half he looked pretty good. On defense though Forte ate him up a little bit especially that pump fake that got Jalen in the air, you can't bite that easily on a small slow guy like that who can't elevate on his shot. Jalen is very talented but does not play smart, which is the MO of a lot of guys on this team.

Brad Underwood has been a coach since 1988, he had 3 upperclassmen & a kid who is going to play in the NBA, and they did not play great D, they got torched for 64 points in the 2nd half.

Tommy Amaker is 4-5 in the tournament and 10-6 in the NIT.

Ollie is going to need a little time to develop into the HC we need him to be. Let's not knee jerk the entire season.

Brad Underwood has been a coach since 1988, he had 3 upperclassmen & a kid who is going to play in the NBA, and they did not play great D, they got torched for 64 points in the 2nd half. Tommy Amaker is 4-5 in the tournament and 10-6 in the NIT.
Ollie is going to need a little time to develop into the HC we need him to be. Let's not knee jerk the entire season.
Yeah right until he's hired by the NBA, !!!..... like I said I was fighting with guys on this board 4-5 years ago about why Uconn should hire KO...instead of Shaka, Brad Stevens...though his in game stuff would be a mystery. Sometimes I think he might be better suited for the NBA, because you don't have to micro manage or develop pros that are grown men. KO's got so many assets( recruiting, lineage, a true gentleman as face of the program) in his resume to be a Uconn guy for life. But he seems to get no respect from the refs or sometimes his own players at this level and his player development, in game moves, coming out of lethargic for long stretches leave alot of questions and it's nothing new. The two 6th place AAC finishes in a row and now this start have me thinking what many have said that I didn't want to believe. That he won a NC with Jim Calhoun's players. Players JC molded into his own form of toughness, so this isn't about just this season, but he's our coach and well paid. This is only a message board and he should be questioned.....if not we might as well all get the poms poms out and this place would be a ghost town, so it is what it is... but I'd love to see a complete turnaround !

Last edited:
Bazz was, if not a punk, far from possessing positive leadership qualities during Kevin's 1st year. That championship team did not have some Calhoun special sauce on it. The original knock was that Kevin wasn't recruiting and won with Calhoun leftovers, now we're moving the goalposts by suggesting Kevin can't instill toughness, total bunk. The current coaching staff has a championship and you have to do some serious contorting to take that away.

I'm all for questions & I don't like the offense. I said before Miller set scoring records with a motion offense and that's who I think should be running that end of the court. I also don't particularly like the fact the bigs have had to manufacture their own touches. I also have beef with the rotation but being that the team is so young that's probably nitpicking...rotations work themselves out later in the season.

But you can't take on an inexperienced coach and then fire him because you don't like his inexperience.

But you can't take on an inexperienced coach and then fire him because you don't like his inexperience.
Well KO is going on 7 years here, 5 as a HC ....you want to call that inexperience ? OK.....and nobody said I'm taking a NC away from him, Bazz was a lost ball hog his soph
year dominating the ball, but without his edge, skill set and BB IQ the NC doesn't happen...with who?? Boatright running the show ???

what is the point of revising history to include that team without Bazz? I don't get it
There is no point except that KO inherited an experienced team and had a nice 6 game run with a senior leader that Calhoun left him with.

Napier had problems his sophomore year. He would dribble too much around the perimeter and cause the shot clock to wind down and the result would be bad shots and shot clock violations. He matured as a player and hit many big shots in many big games. UConn's team defense in the 2014 NCAA tournament was as good a team defense as I have seen. They didn't set the records of the 2011 team but they really knew how to play D and although there were no really great rebounders like on the 2011 team nobody crushed or even beat UConn on the boards in the 2014 NCAA tourney. It was an amazing run following an amazing run in 2011. We might not see those runs ever again. What rolls those teams got on.

There is no point except that KO inherited an experienced team and had a nice 6 game run with a senior leader that Calhoun left him with.

That's a false narrative Calhoun left a disheveled team which lacked leadership. Now a few posts ago the criticism was that KO couldn't teach leadership, so what happened with Bazz, who was no leader AFTER Calhoun left?

That's a false narrative Calhoun left a disheveled team which lacked leadership. Now a few posts ago the criticism was that KO couldn't teach leadership, so what happened with Bazz, who was no leader AFTER Calhoun left?
So you want to credit that all to KO ? I thought Bazz grew up and it finally kicked in like many upper classmen ( maybe not some playing on KO's current team ) but Bazz always saw the floor well (BB IQ) had the skill set, he just overlead on the court thinking he was Kemba as a soph... anyway who cares we could go back and forth with this it's a waste of time....
.....all while KO's brilliant leadership has Uconn tied with a DII team at half time without any answers to change things....yep.. "Cheer up boys, It's going to get good."

Ollies responsible for recruiting and developing these guys and most are either soft or mentally challenged on the court, some are both. That's a problem.

If not for a fortuitous game against St. Joes and a 70 foot shot, this guy may not have one tournament win.

Thanks for '14 and all, but this program is at a critical point for it's future. A .500 record for a 'basketball school' is going to get you left behind. There is no time to bring someone along slowly.

Reactions: the Blades
So you want to credit that all to KO ? I thought Bazz grew up and it finally kicked in like many upper classmen ( maybe not some playing on KO's current team ) but Bazz always saw the floor well (BB IQ) had the skill set, he just overlead on the court thinking he was Kemba as a soph... anyway who cares we could go back and forth with this it's a waste of time....
.....all while KO's brilliant leadership has Uconn tied with a DII team at half time without any answers to change things....yep.. "Cheer up boys, It's going to get good."

lol you're miserable, Games don't go official at the half, try to enjoy some basketball

lol you're miserable, Games don't go official at the half, try to enjoy some basketball
I have been since about 1988... but what we've watched for the last 2-3 years from KO at our supposed BB school, can be very trying times for people who know better.
Especially now for all the reasons Canolee mentioned above and alot more (CR, finances, attendances down..).... that said I'll take the win vs. a DII school that was still a struggle in the last 5 minutes if it helps their confidence.

Last edited:
Hey I got you beat! I've been a fan since '86 watching games on bleachers in the field house, does that mean I know better, like you? Lol

Ease up buddy, I wouldn't call yesterday a struggle, 90 points again down 2 of our best players &. 8 scholarships. There must be some redeeming qualities in a near triple double for Jalen and Rodney hitting everything. Need to figure this D thing out though.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ozzie3178
UNC whipped Oklahoma State 107-75 in the semis. In the final analysis, OSU saved UConn from suffering an even worse beatdown. UNC is very much looking like the best team in this tournament and should beat Wisconsin in the finals tonight. UConn will play Oregon for 5th place.

Hey I got you beat! I've been a fan since '86 watching games on bleachers in the field house, does that mean I know better, like you? Lol
Ease up buddy, I wouldn't call yesterday a struggle, 90 points again down 2 of our best players &. 8 scholarships. There must be some redeeming qualities in a near triple double for Jalen and Rodney hitting everything. Need to figure this D thing out though.

You said enjoyable BB, that doesn't mean I didn't suffer through some pretty bad Dom Perno Big East years... as I've mentioned on this board B4 to some other posters...I've been getting dragged up to Uconn since I was a kid when my Uncle went to school there....so I guess once the standard has been set like JC did, it's easy to become spoiled, LOL........ But I think Jalen needing to take over (mentioned above) could become a big plus for this team....Rodney if he stays within himself ( bulldog on D, not trying to do too much off the dribble into traffic, spot ups 3's) this could all become a plus plus for this team. Even though they've dug their selves a bad hole for post season to start the year, same as they did in 2014-15 when they were 4-4 and missed the tourney. That started with a bad loss to Yale at home, but the others where to WVU, Texas and Duke, not Wagner, Northeastern, etc.....
Anyway we shall learn more today if they can flip the switch vs. a team that's the real deal.... they need it & have their work cut out for em' with no margin for error for the post season, especially with the AAC lacking in signature wins later on.

Last edited:
UNC whipped Oklahoma State 107-75 in the semis. In the final analysis, OSU saved UConn from suffering an even worse beatdown. UNC is very much looking like the best team in this tournament and should beat Wisconsin in the finals tonight. UConn will play Oregon for 5th place.
Silver lining KSTW...that's a positive way to look at it...:rolleyes:...LOL!

I saw uncle Cliffy play at St Joes of Trumbull when I was in HS. Maybe '86?

BTW, before we want to bash Amaker because he failed at Michigan, a guy named Belichek didn't do very well in Cleveland if memory serves. I think the Pats are glad they gave him a chance.

And I was just trying to get a list of names if and when we have to make a change at the top.

I just don't get it is all. Amaker had 1 winning season with Michigan and 1 winning season at Seton Hall. Now he's winning in a scholarshipless league & that makes him more attractive than a .600 winning % & a championship over 4 seasons. Just too much angst if you ask me.

Reactions: Ozzie3178
I'm just LOLing at all this replacement coach talk!

KO is here for as long as he wants to be. That includes a potential losing season now and even say next year in a row.

Calhoun has his back more than anyone in the program. He should as it was his hand picked successor. He even got him a huge raise with all that bogus NBA and Laker coach talk

No one wants it, coaches it and bleeds it more than KO. I know as I am at the closed practices, and off-season workouts.
He does it all.... Which is unusual, as assistant coaches run the practices typically. That's how it was when JC was here assistants ran everything and Calhoun game day.

I love all our staff they are champions outside of killings but I think they need to do more and mentioned to KO that KFree should coach bigs up more in practice especially rebounding drills. Individually.... Maybe he is but I need to see more from him and even Rickey. Miller too since he has been responsible for the bigs. Play calling and sets are there. Our coaches are great at that. Trust me. Kids just have to execute it. Some times one or a couple of them don't and this goes back to last year as well. This year I understand with new guys we will have that but even with the "vets" I personally see wrong positioning and running of certain sets. Now should KO bitch and scream and maybe grab a kid on the sideline to call him out during games.... I don't know. But he does get in their asses at practice. The G rated KO does not exist there!!lol

Also with the recruiting excuse remember we had sanctions and restrictions. So the only bigs we could get were Amida and Facey types. Now we won't ever get a Demarcus Cousins type either because of our guard and wing heavy offense. Let's see what Enoch and Durham become.

WELL OZZIE TELL HIM TO TOUGHEN THEM UP ON D and play aggressive vs. pressure....... they're getting their ass kicked again.... this is getting OLD !!!

You're taking the exercise too literally. Btw say hi to Kevin at turkey dinner tomorrow.

I'm thankful for the JC years when we were relevant and had Bilas call our games and not William Walton.

You're taking the exercise too literally. Btw say hi to Kevin at turkey dinner tomorrow.

I'm thankful for the JC years when we were relevant and had Bilas call our games and not William Walton.
Thank you C, this started at as an in game rant....THEN THE APOLIGIST's came along, hey everyone gets a trophy !!!

Last edited:
Once again D and Rebounding is a WANT TO.... go and get it!!! Purvis was supposedly our best defender coming back but has been non existent!!
Only two guys who show me they want it on that end consistently are JA and CV. Amida when he is not blocking shots is a liability there as he does not rebound and any big who stretch him out of the lane forget about it easy two.

Canolee I will and I will tell JC that you been thinking about him. ;)

Oz, I know he's your boy, but to quote Chris Carter, cmon man.

We've gone from the most interesting basketball program in the world, to the most embarrassing. Damn commercials.

That being said, let's win this f'in game.

Oz, I know he's your boy, but to quote Chris Carter, cmon man.

We've gone from the most interesting basketball program in the world, to the most embarrassing. Damn commercials.

That being said, let's win this f'in game.

Lol they all my boys. Including mad grandpa JC....love him. Outside of basketball reasons!

But most interesting to most boring that is too funny! We are who we are because of those 4 chips, which a couple from the current staff had a big part in 2 of them. That's it! You should see outside of UConn area how many people actual put UConn up there with the dukes unc ky Indiana.... hell they put Arizona and ucla among others ahead of UConn. Until we start talking national chips and especially recent chips. So most interesting in the world idk about that. Don't think we have ever been that

4 in 15/16 years. How many programs in the modern era can say that?

And I'm currently pissed off, because I want to be alive to see 5,6, 7 and 8.

Well hopefully you will my man. Hopefully we all will!

Can you believe the national perception is Syralose is more known and relevant with only 1 chip in as many FF trips as we have had.

I'm sure a lot of that has to do with the media and recently the P5 love fest and ACC crooks but you get what I'm saying in I don't think national perception is most interesting. But anyway it makes for fun trash talk in for me against all those programs!! :)

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT