ADVERTISEMENT

Obi out for SMU, 14 honored on SR day and more on Ashiru

the Blades

Gold Member
Jan 20, 2003
Obi is out for SMU, 14 players set to be honored and a very in-depth response from Diaco calling out the Headline
from the CT post on Ashiru's situation, also response from SR DE BJ McBryde:

New Haven Register: UConn's Diaco on Melifonwu's injury, Ashiru's departure

on Ashiru:
"My reservations, I don't want to talk about players on the team, I see them all as students at the university, all part of the
family," Diaco said about the way he answered questions on the matter last week. "I don't want to talk disparaging about
anybody. I was crushed (about the accusations), I really was. It is a complete, I don't want to say this in a disparaging way
about the author of the article either, but other than they were related, there is no shred of truth in any way. All of it
was a misrepresentation, every bit of it. It never happened like that. The headline (UConn football player deserved better
from Diaco) was completely wrong. The only person who would have deserved better from the coaching staff would be
Junior Joseph who won the job four weeks earlier. We were just trying to coach the team and move somebody forward,
get better.

"It was disappointing. We don't communicate with the players that way and it never happened. Not that we are sitting
around singing Kumbaya, it is an intense environment but we never demoralize, dehumanize, disrespect, emasculate
(players). It just doesn't happen. I am standing here telling you but you could ask anybody on the team. I wish him the
best, I hope he has success. He made a decision. His role changed because it had to. He didn't like his new role and
he didn't want to do it anymore, that is it."

This post was edited on 12/2 3:27 PM by the Blades

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT