ADVERTISEMENT

Now this is Uconn Old school !

the Blades

Gold Member
Jan 20, 2003
Not even pre-Calhoun...pre-Dominic Perno era...to the Dee Rowe days !!!

1975-76 Alphabetical Roster
No.... Name............... Cl...... Pos.... Ht/Wt......... Hometown
43......Jeff Carr ...........Fr.....F/C......6-9/ 230....... Hartford, CT
42.... Tony Hanson.....Jr....... F ......6-5/ 210 ........Waterbury, CT
35.... John Thomas... Sr...... C .......6-8/ 225........ Bogalusa, LA

1975-76 Final Statistics
Name ...................G...... FGM-A ......FG%.... FTM-A .......FT%...... Reb-Avg... Asst ....Pts./Avg.
Tony Hanson..... 29.... 224-453... 49.4.... 106-149.... 71.1..... 208-7.2... 102 ....554--19.1
John Thomas..... 29.... 121-245... 49.4.... 66-104...... 63.5......402-13.9... 54.... 308--10.6
Jeff Carr.............. 29.... 95-170.... 55.9..... 36-61....... 59.0...... 230-7.9.... 30.... 226--7.8

Last edited:
Reactions: Ozzie3178
Tony Hanson was the man on that team. He was a matchup problem for every team they played. They also played with two 5'8" sharp shooting guards Al Weston and Joey Whelton. They lost to North Carolina in that sweet 16 game. They were about even at the half and then North Carolina's depth got to them in the second half. Uconn basically had 5 players who could compete at that level. UCONN was able to recruit John Thomas because he had two knee operations his senior year in high school and at that time no one ever seemed to come back after a knee operation so the big programs didn't want him, in 1976 his senior year he was second in the country in rebounding. Tony Hanson I believe coachs in England although I see him at a couple of UCONN games every year. Al Weston became an IRS agent and John Thomas became a banker in CT. I think Joey Whelton was also in England coaching at one point. Jeff Carr improved tremendously and by 1978 was a very effective center.

Good (long) read on Dee, now another Uconn HOF nominee......He speaks of his missed opportunity as a coach of the 1980 Olympic team with Dave Gavitt & Larry Brown, a mention of one of his Uconn assistants now known as the legendary Jim Valvano, Vietnam war protests. It gives a recap of the Uconn hoops legend who retired from the court at the young age of 47 "handing a strong, respected program — strong enough to be invited to join the Big East two years later — over to his assistant, Dom Perno in 1977."... But Dee has stayed "a relevant, revered figure on campus in his advisory role "

Dee Rowe Reflects On Lifetime Of Making A Difference As Coach, Father Figure At UConn And Beyond

CoINJj3WcAAuqA4.jpg

Also here's a good site that gives an update of many Uconn players and some of Dee's guys:

* UCONN Hoop Legends: THE MEN LEGENDS

Last edited:
I have wondered what happened to Dom Perno since 1986. Unlike Rowe you never see Perno at UConn games. He seems to keep a very low profile.

I remember Dom was doing TV as a color guy after Uconn, don't remember how long or what network

He did color commentary very part time either on channel 8 or on the Big East Network for a few years back in the late 1980s or early 1990s, but kind of totally disappeared after that.

He did color commentary very part time either on channel 8 or on the Big East Network for a few years back in the late 1980s or early 1990s, but kind of totally disappeared after that.

I didn't know this but from Dom's wiki page: .....After UConn, he worked as a broadcaster before being hired by George Washington as an Assoc. AD in 1997....

also from the site Iinked: After being head coach for nine years, Dom left UConn and went into the insurance world for a short while. He also worked with the Big East Network in the early- to mid- 1990’s as a color commentator to Big East games, University of Hartford games and Boston Celtic games. Seven years ago he joined GW University as an Associate Athletic Director for the Athletic Development. “I’m delighted to be there because now Head Basketball Coach Karl Hobbs is there who played for me and Assistant Coach Steve Pikiell is there and I recruited him to play for CT.” ( so this was reported awhile back) Dom lives in Old Town Alexandria in DC. He and his wife, Cynthia, love the area, which is only five miles from GW University, but he said it was tough to leave CT.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT