ADVERTISEMENT

Now that is the Rodney Purvis

Ozzie3178

Gold Member
Jan 29, 2006
We NEED!!!

Played like Tarzan instead of Jane all game!!

1 down 5 more to go..... One game at a time!

Memphis payback up next....

He had a few explosive grown man moves going to the hole. Also 7-7 on FTs. The Ferrari emerged from the garage this game.

By the way what I really liked about this game was that Purvis dropped 28 points totally within the flow of the game. He did not force the action and took what the defense gave him. He did have 4 TOs but it seemed like most of his decisions were correct and he also had 3 steals and played very good D. Purvis was 9-16 FGs, 3-6 from 3 point land and 7-7 on FTs. More importantly UConn shot 53% FGs and 45% on 3s against one of the better defensive teams in the country. If you recall, last year in Storrs UConn shot 30% against SMU and lost, in what was their worst offensive game of the year by far. This year, UConn won against a better SMU team.

THIS WAS THE GAME I have been waiting for all year. I thought this was what we would see this year.

Purvis was so good today, aside from a couple heat checks and one missed explosive drive missed layup that you would like to have seen drop from being really a perfect game. Well I guess the bad D he played after his MONSTER dunk that netted a -1 3pt for SMU....

Hamilton was solid but I do wonder what is going to happen once the world picks up that his only move to the basket is a behind the back dribble twirl jumper. You can set your clock by it.

Boat was really good tonight as well, one of my all time favs.

Now we just need consistency along with time and situation understanding and he'll become the package KO
was talking about. He did just about everything right minus those 4 TO's and what he somehow thought was a
usefull gallop into 4 SMU defenders when Uconn needed to run clock up 11 with under 3 mins to go. That TO
started a huge momentum swing that made it a nail biting 4 point game a minute and a half later.

It may be to late unless Uconn wins out but at least there's' hope to salvage the season if he can stay consistent
.......and man did that posterizing of the SMU big.....rock the XL Center:

UConn's Purvis Dunks on 6'11" Center

The other legitimizing factor is that SMU is a very good defensive team. This is not like Brimah dropping 40 on Coppin State on a bunch of uncontested lobs being defended by 6'4"/6'5" forwards. Purvis dropped a very legit 28 on a legit team and all his points came within the flow of the offense. He isn't perfect as far as figuring out when to drive, but he has gotten better. He just needs to build on this, as he should be having games like this much more regularly.

Originally posted by KhalidShockedTheWorld:
He isn't perfect as far as figuring out when to drive, but he has gotten better.
Very true about his drives.... he needs to slow down and size up the D first. Then he wouldn't:
A. step out of bounds( he did it again yesterday )
B. shuffle his feet for a TO because he's prone to running b4 he dribbles( which could of been a key
TO the refs might have missed in the second half B4 he passed to Boat for a Hail Mary 3 pt'er)
C. Fly into bad numbers( 1 against 3's or clogged up lanes with nowhere to go)

........but he did so much other good in his career best game...it's acceptable until it's not....

If you want to get really picky, Purvis got away with an offensive foul on the play where he drove and then cleared out his defender with his arm before popping a mid range jumper. It was a very subtle offensive foul, but an O-foul all the same. If his handle was a little better and he used a jab and step back move, he wouldn't have to foul his defender to clear some space.

We can win this Memphis game Thursday @ Gampel if we play our cards right. It should be a very entertaining game!

Go Huskies!

UConn plays its best ball at Gampel and I would be surprised if UConn didn't win. I would not be surprised if UConn drills Memphis.

DIdnt play well again Texas and Yale but yes they normally feed off the vibe for sure.

If we play like we did against SMU we are a elite eight team and we blow Memphis out, if we play like the rest of the season its nip and tuck with Memphis.

Purvis needs to worry about hitting ft's and being a better basketball player. And stop crying about every hard foul.

Yep that's Rodney Purvis vs. Temple ......3 f@#Kin' plays in a row he gives them a 7 point run....out of control drive...
leaves his man wide open for a 3 and comes back and has the ball taken right out of his hands for 2 more ...
and his ass goes to the bench where it belongs !!!!

This post was edited on 3/7 2:36 PM by the Blades

WTF with Purvis? He drops 28 on SMU and then follows that up with an 0-7 and now gets benched for poor play. UConn should have paid attention when Gottfried stopped playing Purvis at the end of his freshman year at NC State. Everyone said it was because of NC State and it's system. No it wasn't. It was because of Purvis. UConn should have paid better attention to what they were recruiting. He peaked in high school.

Draft Express knew:

Overdribbling for long stretches, taking bad shots, turning the ball over and struggling to make his presence felt defensively,
Purvis could not exhibit his considerable talent in a consistent fashion as he continues to be plagued by bad habits and poor
fundamentals. His inconsistent perimeter shot was a major hindrance to his chances of making the roster, as his flawed
mechanics did not do him any favors in trying to establish himself a threat without the ball in his hands, while his poor decision
making made it difficult for him to operate as a ball-dominant lead guard like he was accustomed to at the high school level.

From DraftExpress.com Rodney Purvis
http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...KbmlxPk1vb1baZsJ3y2BfGQ&bvm=bv.87611401,d.cWc

This post was edited on 3/7 3:01 PM by the Blades

And when it's not Purvis there is Calhoun....TWICE this half on a simple pass off to his team mate getting it taken away..
once to give away a lay-up and now to get Brimah in foul trouble trying to retrieve it....these 2 are poison to Winning !!

And here's Purvis again telegraphing a simple frickin pass and GETTING IT PICKED OFF WTF !!

Purvis has a shot at UCONN over the next two years to get it together. I am not upset he is on our team. We get a solid 2-3 guys around him so the pressure isnt on him and we could be just fine with him.

He has SO much on him as far as expectations, Ollie should have learned not to pull a JC and label a kid (Ater) as the next coming or a Ferrari. Sets the kid up and we have seen what happens.

Hopefully Hamilton comes back and let me tell you, if he doesn't then we should all take notice because that will be 90% because there is no faith in Ollie to turn this around. There is a 10% chance somehow the NBA grades him as a mid first rounder after all Corey Joseph was drafted in the first round and Hamilton is far better than he was.

Hoping the guys can play hard and well in the AAC tourney and shock the world because at this point it would be shocking if they even won two games.

Originally posted by Dominicfrank:
Purvis has a shot at UCONN over the next two years to get it together. I am not upset he is on our team. We get a solid 2-3 guys around him so the pressure isnt on him and we could be just fine with him.
I think Purvis is ready for the NBA, he's got the body and he should seriously get together with his circle
and put his name in the draft right now....hell.... age wise he just finished his JR year.

So I think KO was right:
"My Ferrari is now out of the garage. Rodney Purvis. Now I can drive my red Ferrari and I can't wait. He's a wonderful
young man. I don't know how long we're going to have him because, you know, our guys, they go to the NBA real,
real quick. They develop quickly.

And I think Omar is ready too..... either that or should become a major scoring option next year...for Fordham
after Uconn gives him his release so he can get closer to home .....
This post was edited on 3/8 9:55 AM by the Blades

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT