ADVERTISEMENT

Basketball No UConn Hoops in the Gavitt Games

Richie O

Mar 21, 2016
According to a source, UConn Basketball will not be in the Gavitt Games this 2023-24 season.

According to a source, UConn Basketball will not be in the Gavitt Games this 2023-24 season.
yep.....that came out last week, but it was also mentioned last week that a game vs. North Carolina at MSG will be on their schedule. So it now could be 3 blue bloods teams OOC..... UNC, Kansas and possibly Indiana ( them and the Huskies are in the Empire Classic, a Gavitt Games makover ?)

Last edited:
Here's last weeks tweet from the Uconn beat writer at the NHR.

Last edited:
I like the strong out of conference schedule they are building along with the likely exceptionally strong conference schedule they will face. When you have a top 5 team that can handle it, you do it. ESPN has Kansas #1, UConn #5 and UNC #15. Dickie V polls have all 3 teams in the exact same positions. Interesting that Dickie V poll has Creighton much higher than ESPN (8 vs. 13).

The first two years of Hurley tenure, UConn would not have been able to handle this schedule and have a winning record. Now they can more than handle it.

UConn WBB has a similarly challenging schedule, OOC and the Big East is improved in recent years, from what it was before UConn and ND left it.

Last edited:
Reactions: the Blades
I like the strong out of conference schedule they are building along with the likely exceptionally strong conference schedule they will face.
Also one more --- Gonzaga and UConn have agreed to a multi-year series that opens at Climate Pledge Arena in Seattle during the 2023-24 season. The series continues with a meeting at Madison Square Garden in New York City in 2024-25.

Gonzaga is #9 in the Dickie V preseason top 25 and #7 in the ESPN top 25, so they will assist in boosting NET ranking. That also makes 2 road games against top 10 teams OOC, and 4 if you add Marquette and Creighton. That's a lot of road games against top 10 teams. Maybe 6 overall if home games against Marquette and Creighton are added.

Add in the game against #15 UNC and 4 games against #18 Villanova and #25 St. John's, and you have 11 games against top 25 teams!

Last edited:
Does anyone know when tickets for the Empire Classic go on sale? I am developing a plan of booking a hotel in the MSG neighborhood for Sunday and Monday nights 11/19 and 11/20 and taking off Monday and Tuesday from work. And also doing some sightseeing on Monday while down in NYC. In case anyone else is going to these games, Black Friday 2017 my then GF and I stayed at the Crown Plaza on 36th Street around 2 blocks from MSG. I got that hotel for around $150 on Priceline at the time. Nice hotel. That's one suggestion obviously there are many other hotels in the area. The Crown Plaza is a nice property although at the time I got it cheap on Priceline cuz they were doing some construction in front of the hotel but I got a room on a high floor and only heard it in the lobby.

I would like to buy the tickets through UConn so I can sit with the UConn nation.

This is bringing back memories of my annual pilgrimages to see UConn-SJU in MSG back in the 1990s. Every year they played that game on a Saturday afternoon and we would train down for the game and then have dinner in NYC and take a train back to CT. UConn fans outnumbered SJ fans. In case anyone doesn't know, one of Rick Pitino's first moves as new SJU coach was to say, "f*** Queens we are playing big games in MSG." I certainly hope that tradition is resurrected, although Rickie P may want to rethink moving the UConn game to MSG. It's not going to be home court for SJU. Will be a neutral court game counting as a home game for SJU. Hope to be back there again for this game as well.

I am trying to remember if the Pitino coached Iona was the only team that won a half against UConn in the NCAA tournament last year? Or did Miami win the second half in the Final 4? What Pitino is all about is disrupting the tempo of the other team and dictating the tempo and rhythm of the game. That style is defeated when you do the same thing to them and turning up the D. You also need a deep team to play against his squads but UConn has that last year and will again this year.

Empire Classic: I want to see UConn kick some Indiana butt in the semifinals and then kick some Texas ass in the finals. We didn't join with one of these P4 Conferences so it will be sweet to beat them!

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT