ADVERTISEMENT

New Recruits and Coaches Know Better Than I....

oldandintheway

Nov 8, 2009
Charlottesville, Va.
Old news perhaps but when the first few recruits were announced I fell into the "Who else is offering these young men?" A couple of Ivys and maybe a few D-1AA schools if that? And of course the much discussed "Star Rankings". But I've come to the fact that if these young guys, all about 16-17, have that much length, that UCONN's new S & C coach sees bodies with a lot of potential to sculpt and beef up. And as we know, it sounds like the current team is in so much better shape and therefore frame of mind. Just the fact at the moment we have what, 11 Commitments in July, says alot. I trust Coach Diaco and his staff. To see a kid at 16, that has perhaps few if any other D-1 offers, that they believe can/will be a AAC starter..., well they know better than I.....I say welcome. http://courantblogs.com/uconn-football/uconn-football-coach-bob-diaco-on-the-1-2-3-4-5-star-deal-and-then-how-uconn-does-its-business/

I just read the follow up article to the Courant one you linked. Diaco with the help of the guy he calls the best S&C coach
in the US (Matt Balis who left the SEC) seems to be taking a similar approach as Edsall and staff who recruited and put a
bunch of "2 star guys" (around 19) who they had to develop into the NFL. Here's the newer read for those who missed it
which gives some input from the recruiting "experts" on his plan:
Evaluating Talent: Diaco Brings Different Process To UConn "They key is, if you're UConn and you don't win games, you're not going to win the hearts of the four- or five-star ballplayers
right now," (CBS analyst) Tom Lemming said. "So what you do is make sure your coaching staff is out there working their
butts off to find athletes that are going to develop into four- or five-star type-players while the big schools don't take a chance
on them. Barry Alvarez did that at Wisconsin, (former Uconn player) Kirk Ferentz did it at Iowa. They turned around
programs that were struggling, and they turned them around by evaluating and developing.

Diaco added: Because we covet smart, disciplined, tough guys that are big, long---specifically long----it becomes
a little bit easier because with the transcripts you can project a little better."

"And then it's time to make a match. UConn, now up to 12, ( who's gotten the most commits before July since they joined
the FBS) is believed to be looking at a class of around 20 student-athletes for 2015."

Well see how this all translates but I'm looking next for him to add a few tall OL like the 6-4" to 6-8" guys ( Will Beatty, Dan Ryan,
Mike Hicks, Zach Hurd, Donald Thomas) that Edsall and Mike Foley used to target and develop plus maybe a speed guy/ slot/ WR
or two in the Larry Taylor/ Nick Williams mold.

This post was edited on 7/18 7:14 AM by the Blades

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT