ADVERTISEMENT

New head coach tweetes.......

the Blades

Gold Member
Jan 20, 2003
....from Courant beat writer Desmond Conner:

Desmond Conner ‏@desmondconner 26 Nov
(on rumor) UConn has strong interest in #UCLA assistant Noel Mazzone?
That's not what I'm hearing. I'm hearing he's not on the radar.

I'm hearing positive things about Michigan State DC Pat Narduzzi as well as Towson coach Rob Ambrose
( former Uconn OC) with respect to UConn head coach

Ron Prince, Jeff Tedford, Lane Kiffin, Turner Gill, all no-gos for UConn head coach

I heard Houston Nutt a no-go for UConn Football head coach

@desmondconner what about if Mullen(Miss St) becomes available? If so? Yes that's what I'm hearing

Hearing no one will be interviewed for UConn Football job until after season ends and that's UConn's season Dec.7"

Also hearing there could be as many as 10 candidates interviewed for UConn Football head coaching position but realistically 6-7...

Also On TJ Weist: I think he gets considered for the job. The players have rallied around him and he has been focused. People see that, so I think he gets consideration. He's a very enthusiastic high-energy guy who can relate to the players.
Desmond Conner (desmondconner) on Twitter
This post was edited on 11/27 4:32 PM by the Blades

Here's the Courant's other guy on the new HC position:
Jacobs: Many Names To Consider For UConn Football Head Coach
Well, let's call it informed speculation. Michigan State defensive coordinator Pat Narduzzi, Ball State coach Pete Lembo,
Bowling Green coach Dave Clawson and Towson coach Rob Ambrose (who had his team thoroughly better prepared than
Pasqualoni in the season opener) are said to be on a targeted list of 10 to 12 candidates. Although he's a long shot, Weist
would be included, too. Clearly, we don't have all the targeted names yet.

Through outside reports, speculation, agents pushing their clients, etc., many names have been batted around. Lane Kiffin,
Houston Nutt, Don Brown, Noel Mazzone, Ron Prince, Karl Dorell, Turner Gill, Jeff Tedford
. All, we hear, are definitely
no-go.
I have my doubts, but don't know about Greg Schiano and Eric Mangini.

Below is a good article on Pat Narduzzi:

http://www.freep.com/article/20131031/SPORTS07/310310050/michigan-state-football-pat-narduzzi

Sounds like he is not going to wait around for Mich St job to open which could be awhile, he is going to wait for the right job/situation for him to open so is not in a rush to take first opportunity, he was born in New Haven, CT as that was one of his father's coaching stops (Yale), his wife may have Northeast ties he met her while at Rhode Island (maybe that plays a part in his decision being close to family if she is from around this area although did not say that in the article - he is from Ohio though). Overall good read get a good insight of who the guy is and how he operates.

I'm hoping he is interested I think UConn is a place someone could build something special just look at how quickly Edsall was able to put something together from scratch and he was not the best recruiter just got the best out of what he had and developed players.

Nice find !!!....would he want to come back and follow in his dads footsteps coaching CFB in CT... seems like a good one ?
This post was edited on 11/29 4:10 PM by the Blades

Wow that list is ehhh meh.... but I do like Narduzzi... that would be a really good hire for UConn FB!

I hope they interview a guy like Eddy Orgeron... who is most likely NOT getting that USC job!

He has learned from his failure stint at Ole Miss a while ago......

A great recruiter and developed many a big time pro (1st rounders)

Now I dont think Warde and UConn will do this but I really really think they should at least interview him

Also go after Ohio States OC.... (Tom Herman) have been hearing for a while he wants a HC job.

Here is a bio on him.... http://www.ohiostatebuckeyes.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/tom_herman_789601.html

That guy will get it done here on all fronts and quickly IMO!!

Dont really want retreads here unless of course it was Edsall lol.... bring in a new hungry face!!

Herman would be my top choice if I were Warde.... him and Narduzzi if not those two then go the "mid major" Northern Illinois type route

Here's another name today that's been mentioned in Uconn and Wake Forest rumors from:
FootballScoop Staff[/B] ‏@footballscoop 1h

"UConn must feel pretty confident in their short list because some really good coaches tell me they can't get their calls returned "

FootballScoop Staff ‏@footballscoop 1h

" I had been hearing for a while that UConn had their sights on Clawson. If he goes to Wake…Narduzzi? "

He had a bad time as the OC at Tennessee in the Lane Kiffin shuffle, but here's an SI article that talks of his out of the
box type recruiting and about:
Sports Illustrated- Dave Clawson and the art of program buildingAnd a story about another MAC HC that's been mentioned with Uconn:
Sources: Wake Forest official in Muncie, presumably to meet with Lembo
This post was edited on 12/6 12:46 PM by the Blades

I'll be watching the bowling green game tonight to see what Clawson type team looks like, have the MIch St game on record Saturday night to get one last look at Narduzzi's defense and heading to the UConn game tomorrow. I think it will come down to Narduzzi, Clawson, Lembo, Weist. Not to interested in any of the big names that some people have thrown out or we have heard in the rumor mill. Fairly certain we will know early next week now that teams are wrapping up regular season and conference championships.

just to add on Lembo article - Clawson and Lembo are right up Wake Forest alley so there going to go after 1 of those guys my guess is that job would be a little more desirable than UConn just because more stability being in ACC.

Originally posted by chuckysteele99:

I think it will come down to Narduzzi, Clawson, Lembo, Weist.
That's a good guess on the short list right there and I think Ambrose might be on the final five. Especially
since he now has HC experience to go along with his familiarity to the school and program, spending 7 years
on the D-1 build with Edsall. He definitely out coached PP in the opening game on his return, FWIW. I get
the feeling they want a guy they have a chance to keep awhile with some NE roots who can sell the program. Not a
big name hired gun that is using the job as a stepping stone. That might work at places that are a draw and
easy sell because of an established history, but it would seem to screw up recruiting stability at a place like
Uconn more than it's worth. Bottom line is Uconn needs a FB version of Calhoun and someone who dares to be
a legacy and history maker.

This post was edited on 12/7 9:10 PM by the Blades

I don't know boys, I loved the offensive play selection and the matching the schemes with the skills that the team has to work with. I think I give Weist a 2 year deal to see if he can build on this momentum. I know memphis isn't much but that is beside the point - the creativity is finally being delivered. It wasn't long ago that we were looking at 2nd and 11 on almost every fresh set of downs.

Well...., As Husky Grid Fan notes, Memphis is not good, However, Yes, there was Imagination in the play calling, left-right, misdirection... And..., it was good to see IHC Weist NOT take his foot off the gas. He allowed Cochran to keep throwing. Weist certainly deserves serious consideration.(But put on a jacket please, short sleeves in December just looks classless & clueless IMHO). The little I know about Narduzzi, he seems like he's ready and has some Rhode Island roots. Ambrose, We know what he did to UCONN and now has his team in a legit position to contend for the I-AA National title. Clawson-hammered N. Illinois last night. I don't know, but of course,
but here's to getting the right guy, the right guy who STAYS..., who wants to stay....

Originally posted by Husky Gridfan:
I don't know boys, I loved the offensive play selection and the matching the schemes with the skills that the team has to work with. I think I give Weist a 2 year deal to see if he can build on this momentum. I know memphis isn't much but that is beside the point - the creativity is finally being delivered. It wasn't long ago that we were looking at 2nd and 11 on almost every fresh set of downs.
At least Weist opened a bunch of eyes with his last 3 games, it's a shame that his first chance as a HC was
wasted on trying to dig his way out of the hole that DeLeone created as OC and as OLC. Uconn should
sue GDL for malpractice. My dreamteam would be Narduzzi as HC with Weist returning as OC.

This post was edited on 12/8 10:35 AM by the Blades

I agree with you blades that would be my first choice.

1. Narduzzi preferably with Weist back at OC because I think we have seen improvement
2. Clawson
3. Weist

I'd also like to see Foley and Hughes stick with the staff been around long term and have always delivered results in the area they coached.

If any of the guys on the list seem like they want to stick at UConn long term (although how do you gauge that) I'd prefer that do not want someone who will come for a year or two then move on if they have success.

I also agree DeLeone was terrible.
This post was edited on 12/8 12:32 AM by chuckysteele99

@ Hondo Carpenter[/B] Spartan Nation Magazine /Spartan Nation Radio

" Next head coach at UCONN will be paid $2-$2.5 million per year. More than Mark Dantonio. That is an indictment
on MSU & the administration"

If Narduzzi has any interest in coming to CT I could see him being someone who would stick around especially if UConn can take care of him (which looks like they can pay him better than some schools in bigger conferences). Eventually I feel like UConn will get in the Big 10 (if we can ever get AAU membership) or ACC just a matter of when that will happen. Important time for UConn football as we have seen it is easy to get jumped in the list of schools getting invites to conferences just by having success and college football seems to be the driving factor in conference realignment.

I'm not that enthusiastic about Lembo if we go that route I'd rather stick with Weist as they both have similar offenses and I just like the way Weist carries himself and interacts with the team ('ve said it before if Narduzzi takes the job would love to see Weist back as OC we have seen improvement with the WR's which is the position he coached and with the offense as the year went on) I think he went thru some growing pains to start the year but was not given the greatest situation to start with here halfway thru the year.

Not sure Herman would be interested in the job or if it makes sense his ties are all out southwest/Midwest and he is already a OC at a big time school so he should be able to get a Big 12/PAC whatever number there at/Big 10 job fairly soon if he just sticks around in that good situation that he is in.

Ambrose I think needs to go to the next level as HC and take a job with one of the recent openings in MAC which he should be able to do just like a Lembo. Big difference over course of the year with where he is at now but he has done a good job at Towson just think we have better candidates including Weist.

As for Diaco he does recruit northeast and is from NJ I believe but not a lot out there on him other than he turned ND defense around fairly quick but they struggled a bit this year. Still young feel like he was where Narduzzi was 5 years or so ago maybe a little more seasoning is needed and in a good spot where he could take a good job if he waits it out and type of job he wants he is alreadya coordinator at a big named school.
This post was edited on 12/10 4:35 PM by chuckysteele99

@FootballScoop Staff[/B]
https://twitter.com/footballscoop
" At UConn, sources tell us Pat Narduzzi declined an offer this morning to become head coach at
UConn....... we hear Manuel's offer to Narduzzi was "aggressive" for the HC; but not as robust for
assts as was hoped for.
"

Same issue I remember Edsall having with the AD, Uconn wouldn't pay the assistant coaches the big bucks,
it's a shame but it is what it is. I think Uconn has to now give serious thought to Weist (like you said CS99) as
HC unless there is someone out there that is strong recruiter and a high end guy on the defensive side of the game,
who would guarantee to bring Weist back with him. Weist has done to much improving the O, WR's and passing
game...plus has a relationship with the current recruits.... to just sweep him away for what could be a lateral guy
or less from the MAC.
This post was edited on 12/11 3:05 PM by the Blades

@ Kevin Duffy CT Post[/B]
https://twitter.com/KevinRDuffy/status/410857161908969473" A few Q's on Narduzzi reports: How does Spartan Nation site have sources inside UConn athletic dept?

Leak had to have come from search firm."

"there's no way Uconn leaked it. Had to come from narduzzi's camp"

Big muff on Warde's part if that's the case.... you don't offer a guy who's gonna turn you down..... just makes you look
bad and helps his negotiating position with MSU or anyone else. But figures a Michigan guy( Warde) would get played
by someone from MSU... LOL !

This post was edited on 12/11 3:41 PM by the Blades

This from Hartford Courant's:
@Jeff Jacobs[/B]
https://twitter.com/jacobscourant/status/410858148333756416
" W Manuel hasn't blown the UConn coaching search_not yet anyhow. What he did was lose control of

narrative. Went silent. Agents took control."

Good point, Edsall used this tactic to get more money from Uconn more than once, I remember his Ga Tech interview
and him coming back to Uconn for more money and I think he did the same with the Notre Dame job to squeeze the
AD again. So is this his agent just building up his client? Did he even have a real offer, or were they just in the talking
stages? The time we never heard a word was when RE actually had a job offer and he left like a thief in the night back
to his boyhood "dream school" just miles from where he grew up in PA.
@Jeff Jacobs[/B]

" Allowed Narduzzi to be geeked up to be the next Vince Lombardi. Truth is Clawson, Narduzzi, Lembo,

Herman all good candidates."

I still like Weist better if they don't get a strong defensive guy as HC with him, but if Uconn snoozes on him is he off
to a vacant HC position in the MAC ?

This post was edited on 12/12 8:13 AM by the Blades

Source of the latest Narduzzi info being called out on twitter by local Uconn writers:

Jeff Jacobs[/B]
https://twitter.com/jacobscourantSpartan Nation confirmed Narduzzi's decision to turn UConn's offer, citing sources inside the UConn athletic department. Wow.

Desmond Conner[/B]
I don't know about that one in fact, I doubt it very much

Kevin Duffy[/B]
It makes absolutely no sense. They have no contacts there. They have to be lying about their source of info.

Chris Elsberr[/B]y
Can't believe this news is coming from UConn. If the state reporters can't get this, how can they?

In the meantime back at the ranch we have a "story" reporting a "story from football scoop".... but from the parties
involved we hear crickets:
According to Report: Narduzzi Turns Down UConn Job Offer
"Narduzzi's agent, Neil Cornrich of Ohio-based NC Sports LLC, has not returned phone calls."
Reached Wednesday Manuel said he was not "responding to anything at this time."
He has said that he would not comment on the process while it was ongoing."

But yet Warde has someone in his own AD more than happy to talk to Spartan Nation and Football

Scoop......HMMM ! Sounds like that someone may be looking for a new job, If true !
This post was edited on 12/11 5:27 PM by the Blades

considering the source (footballscoop) they also had on their website today that Harsin withdrew from consideration from the Boise St job and was no longer a candidate and then a few hours later Harsin was named coach at Boise St and called it his dream job pretty much as he is from the area.

Maybe I am in denial but I'm still holding out hope for Narduzzi otherwise I say we go with Weist.

I think footballscoop either just throwing things along the wall or it is just that typical play when you are trying to negotiate bigger money, more money for assistants, something you want built, etc. They were clearly wrong or played with the Boise St report they had.

Good call on the Boise story.... I guess as with all time will tell and even then you never know ???
(ie. George O'Leary, Mike Haywood among others)

This post was edited on 12/11 8:32 PM by the Blades

Michigan State has announced that Pat Narduzzi has officially withdrawn from the UConn coaching search. Narduzzi
said in a statement, "I was honored to be considered by Warde Manuel and the University of Connecticut for
its head coaching position. After consideration, I have withdrawn from the search, and I'm devoting my full
attention to our players and team in preparation for our Rose Bowl game. "

This post was edited on 12/11 8:27 PM by the Blades

Originally posted by Ozzie3178:

Rumors are that it is Pat(PETE) Lembo from Ball St.......
I'm not very excited if this is the hire, I know he's won everywhere,( at a lower level) he's young (43)
and a Georgetown guy from Staten Island, N.Y.. But I would have been just as happy with Weist
because he's a guy that seemed to get through to the kids by the end of the year when the cancer
of PP and GDL was removed. Plus TJ has done alot and recruited at a BCS level, so what's the
recruiting effect with Lembo, doesn't seem like an upgrade, even if he knows the NE well.

It looks like Lembo has been a College HC since he was 31. But it's a luke warm, show me what you
got kind of choice if your right Ozzie.

Pete Lembo Bio - Ball State

This post was edited on 12/11 9:34 PM by the Blades

OK this is getting weird.... and then:

Pete Roussel[/B]‏@coachingsearch 37m
" I'm surprised. A source tells me the UCONN job is not going to Pete Lembo. Warde Manuel has something up his sleeve."

https://twitter.com/coachingsearch/status/410958999836565504

"According to ESPN's Brett McMurphy, Notre Dame defensive coordinator Bob Diaco is in serious negotiations tonight to become the head coach at UCONN. Our source an hour ago told us the job offer had been extended and accepted, so expect an announcement tomorrow that Bob Diaco is the new head coach at UCONN."[/B]

This post was edited on 12/11 9:47 PM by the Blades

Yea sorry Blades Pete Lembo and I was not that excited either.....

Now the Diaco news is good.... or better. Hopefully if it is him he recruits his but off and gets a good staff and wins quickly!

Now the Diaco news is good.... or better. Hopefully if it is him he recruits his but off and gets a good staff and wins quickly!
Well what I might like even better is if Diaco (a DC that also spent some time at Cincinnati like TJ Weist, though
it was before him with Brian Kelly.) can keep TJ around to continue what he's done with the offense, then it's a homerun.

SB Nation chimes in:

Bob Diaco to be named Connecticut head coach
This post was edited on 12/11 10:12 PM by the Blades

HARTFORD COURANT- Notre Dame DC Bob Diaco Will Be New UConn Coach
Desmond Connor already has him aging 10 years in his article, I guess that's what the stress of HC'ing
will do to you ( Born: February 19, 1973 (age 40), Cedar Grove, NJ ) ....never mind he fixed it
Bob Diaco - Notre Dame Athletics
The new face of Uconn football:http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...20yLZQUoE1dlIeQ&bvm=bv.57799294,d.aWc&cad=rja
Bob-Diaco-3_display_image.jpg

This post was edited on 12/11 10:18 PM by the Blades

I like the hire Diaco has grown on me the more I have learned and like him over Lembo.. Sounds like he recruited northeast for the Irish so knows the area and everywhere he has gone you have seen improvement in the area he coached. Guess it is time to wait and see what he does with the current assistants now and see what direction he goes on the O side. Will he try and keep Weist, change styles all together, etc.

I wonder if Weist goes for that Eastern Michigan job or Bowling Green figure he could at least get that eastern Michigan job if he wanted. I'd prefer him to stuck around.

Originally posted by the Blades:

Well what I might like even better is if Diaco (a DC that also spent some time at Cincinnati like TJ Weist, though
it was before him with Brian Kelly.) can keep TJ around to continue what he's done with the offense, then it's a homerun.

SB Nation chimes in:

Bob Diaco to be named Connecticut head coach

This post was edited on 12/11 10:12 PM by the Blades
That would most certainly be ideal if he kept TJ!

I like this... a young JUHZEE guy who has been at winning programs and learned under good HCs.

Also a really good recruiter.... Great job Warde and everyone on this!!

Yep he won it in 2012 right before Narduzzi exactly right Blades!!

This is a Home Run hire by UConn!!

This guy is a grinder and will recruit well... just hope he develops and wins like he has a DC but now a CEO!!

Good read from the ND perspective:
Notre Dame Football: Bob Diaco's Departure Marks the End of an Era
" That Diaco departs South Bend this offseason and not after last year's historic campaign likely says more about Diaco than
his opportunities. Sitting with the assistant coach in the final minutes of Notre Dame's media session before the team's BCS
title shot against Alabama, Diaco explained to me how easy it was for him not to take the head coaching opportunities that
swirled around him seriously. Even if some job openings were perfect fits - Boston College, for one - Diaco couldn't walk away
from his team in the days before the Irish played for their first title in 24 years. It was antithetical to his belief system as both a
coach and man. "

"The New Jersey native moves back to the East Coast, inheriting a 3-9 team that fired head coach Paul Pasqualoni. He'll get
started rebuilding a program that's in desperate need of an infusion of energy, something Diaco will solve within minutes of
arriving in Storrs

PS: Interesting results in the articles Poll question.

This post was edited on 12/12 8:22 AM by the Blades

from reading around sounds like his D style is similar to Hank Hughes sort of the bend but do not break, DL only rush with a occasional blitz but overall not that aggressive. He does go with a 3-4 base and not a 4-3.

Yeah sounds alot like what Uconn did with Edsall and Hughes / Todd Orlando. Except they used that hybrid
linebacker/defensive end "Bandit" position, with quicker guys like Uyi Osunde.

This post was edited on 12/12 4:34 PM by the Blades

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT