ADVERTISEMENT

NBA Scout- Uconn loaded with NBA prospects

Took my thunder blades you posting machine you. The info in this about Amida is SO good to hear. If he can really step away and shoot, look the hell out AAC. Man the season cant get here soon enough.

True LST, Brimah getting that type of review from an independent source is encouraging.

I think all of us here on the board knew this already, but it's good to see an NBA scout seeing the same things. The comments on the shooting stroke of Brimah are interesting because we heard this from Ozzie and I saw signs of it last year when Brimah shot free throws. It's extremely rare that an athletic, shot blocking center can shoot a lick (Patrick Ewing a rare exception), so it will be interesting to see how this jump shooting thing develops.

Love it ! We are getting closer! My weeks are so much better when I see games to watch on the way.

Interesting to see Nolan on the prospects to watch.

I'm really hoping 2012 doesn't happen again. I don't think it will. This year's team is filled with speed and ball handling. 2012 was filled with slower forwards. I thought bazz, boat and lamb could get the job done, but they obviously didn't. That said, I love that we are under the radar again. Under the radar and filled with potential pros. I think we all know how dominate speed and ball handling is. Once again the CBB world is enamored with bigs that can jump.

Our biggest successes have been fast teams with speed and ball handling. Our biggest failures have been teams with size an limited speed and ball-handling. Once again, we are projected to have speed and ball handling. I like the prospect of the season.

The 2012 team was young and had chemistry issues that I think primarily were due to moving Oriakhi to power forward to accomodate Drummond. For whatever reason the two did not play well together. The 2012 team had awesome rebounders and at times they looked good, but the guards were all young and they were not consistent. Lamb and Napier were sophomores and Boat was a freshman.

By contrast this team will have a senior leader in Boat and that makes all the difference in the world. It is actually a lot more like 2011 with Kemba Walker combining with a very young team.

Also a huge fact with the 2012 team was that Bazz admitted he was a terrible leader. He created poor tempo
as a PG, obsessed with dribbling the ball. He wouldn't give it up to wide open team mates and often dribbled the
shot clock down until there was nothing left but a forced shot. Not trusting his team mates as a sophomore
was a big issue, but eventually he did a 180 by his JR year to become a great leader.

It's always an X-factor of how a new "QB" will handle the position but with what we've seen from Boat at the end of
last year and with the NBA scout comments about " Kevin [Ollie] did a great job with him to convince him to play
with "Bazz" and not against him" and "buying into the program " ...Boat just needs to carry and pass that trust on
with the new guys.

This post was edited on 10/25 4:55 AM by the Blades

The article was music to my ears, though I was a little surprised the scout didn't like Rodney Purvis as much as the others. It definitely dampened my expectations for him.

On the flip side, I was surprised and intrigued to see the level of praise heaped upon Daniel Hamilton.

When I look at the roster overall, I see at least an equal amount of talent compared to last season. Shabazz was the difference maker. He was the go-to guy in big situations. It sounds to me like Daniel Hamilton has the most potential to be that type of player. And if he can mature ahead of the curve this team can really shock the NCAA world again. I'm not saying the season hinges on his development but his emergence is far more important than I first imagined. I really didn't think we had any surefire go-to guys, no disrespect to Boat.

Fortunately Hamilton is surrounded by teammates, a coach and a culture that will help him thrive and grow into a true star. It can't happen fast enough.

The scout may not be high on Purvis, in part, because Purvis's last two forays into organized basketball ended on very sour notes, plus he is coming off surgery. He was essentially benched at the end of his freshman season at NC State, then in the summer of 2013 he was cut from the USA junior team due to terrible decision making. Then had surgery last December, precluding further practice and development until a few months ago.

I don't have as high of an expectation for Purvis this year as some other people do. I think he could lose his anticipated starting job to Cassell Jr. or Calhoun. He is going to need to learn how to play. Practicing with the team for a bit helped, but let's also not forget he had shoulder surgery last December. Between the shoulder surgery and the two sour notes which ended his last two basketball forays, expectations should be moderate with him.

Purvis does make me a little nervous. I love the way he talks about this team but his game to me in the limited time we have been able to see it does look bullish and reckless sometimes.

I've said it before on here that he can get to the rim with ease but seems to lack polish finishing it if its not a dunk.

What Purvis needs is game action and the chance to refine his skills and his decision making. It will take some time, and we should be patient and not rush the guy.

Lol.... Seriously! Prolly still have them but so far most if not all have hurt their stock!!

Well leave it to Michigan to show us how it could be worse. NJIT ?

Injuries are one thing and Yale isn't NJIT but I cant imagine it getting much worse but man I think we have another close one against Coppin State. Ollie looks beat already and I just dont see ANYONE on this team with enough talent change where this is heading.

Brimah is the one that baffles me. What the hell was he doing all off season practicing against a wall ? His pure lack of ability to gain position is one thing but the yelling like he was hit by a truck everytime he goes up for a ball of with the ball just is so odd. Hasnt someone been coaching him at least how to ACT like you are being fouled? His yells come before he even goes up with the ball.

Dom remember that Brimah is still recovering from shoulder surgery. I have had three shoulder surgeries over the last 20 years and from my experience it takes about 7 months to be strong and stable enough for contact basketball and a full year to be back to normal. Unfortunately for Brimah with surgery in April it did not allow him time to build muscle or increase strength at all coming in to this season and in fact he is still probably weaker than he was last year. The good thing if he stays with his work ethic he will have the opportunity over the next offseason to become much stronger.

I see his inablility to hold onto contested rebounds and I can relate to it as I have had the same experience after surgery. You feel strong, you can lift weights fine but with the arms over your head the strength isn't there yet to hold off a strong opponent.

Brimah is also lacking the strength to execute his post moves. You can see that he has the ability and coordination to execute the moves but is lacking the strength to finish. He was getting pushed out a little bit. I do believe he remains an NBA prospect but he needs to add strength and do a much better job rebounding. I think what TRU said about the shoulder is part of the issue and the other part is he doesn't get good rebounding position or block out. Yale got 13 offensive rebounds and that did not happen totally by accident.

By the ways the good news is Coppin State the next opponent sucks. They played 3 games against power conference teams and lost them by an average of about 45. They have 1 win over a school I never heard of game. This is a good game for UConn to heal up the bruised confidence and get ready for Duke. Duke will be very tough to beat but it's a neutral court and KO will tell them they gotta win that game or else an NCAA tourney bid may require a conference tournament win. Those are the facts of life right now.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT