ADVERTISEMENT

Memphis

USNA90

Feb 6, 2007
Just a few observations after an absolutely putrid game:

- This UConn offense is more fragile than I imagined. Larrier was out, and the offense was basically Adams playing one on five.
- Anyone who thinks that KO has done a good job recruiting should take a look at what happened in this game. There was no answer on defense to Memphis's bigs, and, of course, the lack of options on offense. I can only imagine what this team will look like next year if Adams and Larrier both leave. Even if Gilbert returns to form (and I wouldn't bet the farm on that), there is next to no offensive talent on the roster.
- Memphis had one foul called on them in the first half.
- I have to feel for Anderson, he finally managed to hit a shot, and it was waved off because it was a fraction late on the shot clock. He then hit a layup after contact, and they called him for a charge.
- I knew this game was not going to end well when UConn got a steal about seven minutes into the first half, and then had the worst fast break I've seen in a long time, as both Vital (who had the ball) and Anderson went into the center of the paint and collided.
- Memphis scored on every broken play and unsettled situation - not one of them went UConn's way that I recall (although I fast-forwarded through a good portion of the second half).
- Memphis lost a lot of players after last season as well, but it sure looks like Tubby did a better job putting a roster together.
- If anyone thinks this conference isn't hurting the UConn brand, look at the "crowd" at tonight's game. This was UConn/Memphis, not USF/Tulane, and the place was empty.
- That three game winning streak looks like fool's gold now.

Just a few observations after an absolutely putrid game:

- This UConn offense is more fragile than I imagined. Larrier was out, and the offense was basically Adams playing one on five.
- Anyone who thinks that KO has done a good job recruiting should take a look at what happened in this game. There was no answer on defense to Memphis's bigs, and, of course, the lack of options on offense. I can only imagine what this team will look like next year if Adams and Larrier both leave. Even if Gilbert returns to form (and I wouldn't bet the farm on that), there is next to no offensive talent on the roster.
- Memphis had one foul called on them in the first half.
- I have to feel for Anderson, he finally managed to hit a shot, and it was waved off because it was a fraction late on the shot clock. He then hit a layup after contact, and they called him for a charge.
- I knew this game was not going to end well when UConn got a steal about seven minutes into the first half, and then had the worst fast break I've seen in a long time, as both Vital (who had the ball) and Anderson went into the center of the paint and collided.
- Memphis scored on every broken play and unsettled situation - not one of them went UConn's way that I recall (although I fast-forwarded through a good portion of the second half).
- Memphis lost a lot of players after last season as well, but it sure looks like Tubby did a better job putting a roster together.
- If anyone thinks this conference isn't hurting the UConn brand, look at the "crowd" at tonight's game. This was UConn/Memphis, not USF/Tulane, and the place was empty.
- That three game winning streak looks like fool's gold now.

USNA I agree with many of your points, but where I disagree are:

1) I don't think the 3 game winning streak was fools gold. The UCF & Tulane game the team played well.

2) I agree that there is very little offensive talent on this team; in fact I would just say that there is very little of any talent on this team. However, both Josh Carlton and Whaley have shown growth, and look to be capable players. The lack of talent is very apparent with CV and Anderson. CV is a subpar 3 point shooter who is a below average athlete, and has limited handle. UConn fans often overstate his talent level, especially if he knocks down a few 3s.

3) As for next year, I am pretty excited because it seems Jalen will likely be back. With Jalen back and ALterique healthy with the addition of Akinjo, we will have 3 playmakers in the backcourt, and we will see less of CV, and no Anderson. Carlton and Whaley will have a year under the belts and will be even more valuable next year.

Totally disgusting. No silver linings unless Ollie is removed NOW.

We are dreaming if we this our recruits stay committed through this and expect more transfers

the offense was basically Adams playing one on five

This pretty much summarizes it. The UConn offense is garbage without the garbage. Also, the bench produced all of 2 points.

The numbers were all ugly:

8 assists to 17 turnovers
4-17, 23% on 3s
Outrebounded 38-23
37% FGs

It's just really bad basketball. The team did play well against UCF and especially against Tulane, but they have been pretty bad in way too many games. There is not really much talent at all. I don't think Jalen will come back (why should he), Gilbert's career may be over, Larrier will not be back and I would expect transfers again. This team could very easily be worse next year, the question is whether the AD will allow that next step of deterioration.

Reactions: the Blades
It's clear as day to anyone with a brain that KO has destroyed this program. There isn't a player on his roster who would be getting more than mop up minutes on any of the teams Calhoun recruited besides Jalen right now. Could you imagine this team in the old Big East ? They'd be some of those bad Depaul teams or worse. Then add in somewhere in the deep portion of his brain, the fact that KO loves midget line-ups and recruiting anorexic forwards, which makes it physically impossible to compete.. When the national media is having this conversation, what does this tell ya ?.... but because of his huge buyout, Uconn nation is stuck with this bozo and the 2 clowns he added to his bench:

Last edited:
The recruiting is so bad we are starting Antwoine Anderson, a 4 year scrub at Fordham.
The man might be the worst guard I have ever seen suit up for UCONN since I became a fan in the mid-80's.
He should be using his Fordham degree for some good, humping it out in some mail room intern position right now.

A national TV appearance against Villanova on Saturday afternoon.
Break out the paper bags with the eye hole cut-outs!

Is KO brain dead ? At this point just play Polley at the 3 and let him learn through his mistakes, he's gonna be around for 4 years, where's he going, so what does he have to lose ?...nope... instead KO loves his weak rebounding 3 guard line-up..SMH !.........and he still has Anderson on the floor for 39 minutes....maybe him and KO are drinking buddies...

Last edited:
As I look at this roster, UConn has eight guys who can’t even reasonably be called “role players”. A role player has at least one discernible skill (i.e. Brimah could block shots; Purvis could shoot and step out of bounds for no reason). What individual skill does anyone among the crew of Anderson, Onourah, Whaley, Polley, Carlton, Cobb, Williams, or Diarra bring to the table? As far as I can tell, they each have five fouls and help fill out the roster. Other than that, the best you can say is that some of them have potential.

Honestly I don’t understand why Anderson is playing and Polley isn’t. Anderson is a non factor who can’t shoot and when he is invited to drive it always ends badly for him. He can’t finish. His sole contribution is essentially to caddy ball handling duties for Adams when Adams is tired. Other than that he is useless.

Why he is playing over 30 minutes is inexplicable. This is somewhat reminiscent of Ollie overplaying Kromah although Kromah was a much better player who could disrupt opposing teams with his defense. Anderson is sort of a good walk on type player who is being played rotation player minutes. It’s unfortunately also a sad commentary on the depth and talent level of the team.

Honestly I don’t understand why Anderson is playing and Polley isn’t. Anderson is a non factor who can’t shoot and when he is invited to drive it always ends badly for him. He can’t finish. His sole contribution is essentially to caddy ball handling duties for Adams when Adams is tired. Other than that he is useless.

Why he is playing over 30 minutes is inexplicable. This is somewhat reminiscent of Ollie overplaying Kromah although Kromah was a much better player who could disrupt opposing teams with his defense. Anderson is sort of a good walk on type player who is being played rotation player minutes. It’s unfortunately also a sad commentary on the depth and talent level of the team.

I never had a problem with Kromah... like you said he worked his ass off on D & he was another glue guy who helped them win the NC ( thank you Karl Hobbs) with the little stuff and and was a decent athlete. To me it's more like KO playing Omar Calhoun the same year, who all he did was turn the ball over every time he dribbled, was brick city (31% FG's) but still kept hoisting away. While he couldn't rebound or guard a chair. It took KO the entire regular season to bench him in the NCAA's & figure out that Giffey should be starting with Kromah off the bench, which I saw all year and bitched about it on this board..... this just tells me we've got a guy who has no clue WTF he's doing and his best quality might just be parroting the cliches he's learned over the years and trying to look the part. Which is good enough to sit in the NBA at the end of a bench but I don't want him leading this program @ $3.4 mil a year. Nice guy that KO, but " not the sharpest (or most intense) knife in the box " which equals loser.

Last edited:
Reactions: Shaggydog84
I didn't watch this suckfest but I did get wind of this
Google:
UConn colossally botches four-on-one.
Already trailing by 26, Antwoine Anderson leads the four-on-one break

"twoine" does have a degree in communications.
I can only hope he finds a job that starts before the end of January.

FIRE KO

Anderson seems like a real good kid and I doubt he will have a problem finding a job outside of basketball. The problem is that basketball is his job right now and at this level he isn’t very good at it and shouldn’t be getting anywhere near the minutes he is getting.

I would have benched Vital last night. Not only did he put up brick after brick after air ball, he loafed back on defense, missed easy passes and got a T.

I know we were shorthanded with terry breaking a nail, but play Polley. We lost by 30, what's the difference. At least try and develop a kid with size and some ability. Vital, like Anderson, should be playing 10 min a night.

Vital should be playing around 15 minutes a night and Anderson around 5. Vital is the only one of the guards to show some ability to hit the 3.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT