ADVERTISEMENT

Basketball Los Angeles Lakers are targeting Dan Hurley to be next their next HC

IF he leaves- Is the most likely successor Kimani Young or Luke Murray? Does the guy who doesn't get the job leave with Hurley?

Part of me thinks this is all leverage by Hurley and agent to extract the most money they can out of UConn. $5-7 million a year is a great salary. How much richer does $15 million make you? Rich enough to buy some yachts? Is that something he wants to do?

Money aside, if you watch the NBA game, LA is not the team he wants to coach. Apart from being in the wrong part of the country (NY, Philly or Boston would be better landing spots), their team has two aging, injury prone stars, no really great young players, and are facing a massive long term rebuild. They aren't a championship team now, and will not be for years, whether coached by Hurley, John Wooden, Phil Jackson, or anyone else. The NBA now is about developing young cores of players like the OKC Thunder has done. LA is years of high draft choices away from that. They are capped out and have no flexibility. You can't have two really old and/or very injury prone guys anchoring your team. I believe Hurley is smart enough to see that this isn't the NBA opportunity he wants. Stay at UConn, extract the most money, and leave after a few more championships and being mentioned in the same breath as Wooden.

IF he leaves- Is the most likely successor Kimani Young or Luke Murray? Does the guy who doesn't get the job leave with Hurley? +1

They are capped out and have no flexibility. You can't have two really old and/or very injury prone guys anchoring your team.
I don't follow the NBA, at all, but you speak the truth my friend.....I checked it out and didn't know Lebron will be 40 at a whopping $51 mil this year. And the other guy (Davis ?) played 72 games this year but only ave. 44 games per for the 3 years before. And LA owes him between $60 and $70 mil a year for his last 3 years ( at ages 33-35 ! )....Yikes, well no one can say the Lakers don't know how to blow money, on things they think they need, LOL! ( unfortunately Dan does seem to like reparation projects, but If he doesn't work out I heard Lebron's buddy Kevin Ollie is available..;))

Regarding the "IF" .....I had to laugh at Dauster's "Uconn needs Ed Cooley" , one of his dumbest takes ever. From my X account, where I post occasionally.

Last edited:
LA is not the team he wants to coach. Apart from being in the wrong part of the country (NY, Philly or Boston would be better landing spots), their team has two aging, injury prone stars, no really great young players, and are facing a massive long term rebuild.
Hmmm, Video exactly along the lines of your take KSTW-

Take the money Dan, the Big East ($5 mil a year TV deal) was always a dead conference walking.......
Despite the constant spins, opinions and chatter all over the internet..... looks like Dan is getting ready for them to "Show me the money !

From Yahoo- "Hurley was traveling to Los Angeles to meet with the Lakers on Friday to "dig into what a Hurley-Laker partnership would look like." The team reportedly hopes to have a deal done over the weekend. "

Last edited:
Their problem is that they want to win now, but aren't a championship team now (or anywhere close) and they are capped out from acquiring the pieces that would make them a championship team. What that means as a practical matter is a few more years of MAYBE making playoffs as a low seed and exiting quickly. But then as soon as LeBron and AD are cooked by age, injuries or both, they have to start all over with a massive rebuild that will take time and patience, and their fans and management have neither.

It also should be noted that the western conference is a beastly and loaded gauntlet of very talented teams, most of which are younger than the Lakers or have younger and more reliable star players.

Last edited:
Despite the constant spins, opinions and chatter all over the internet..... looks like Dan is getting ready for them to "Show me the money !
I have no doubt they will show him the money. The question is whether he wants to take the money and potentially devalue his legacy by signing on for what will likely be a no-win situation.

Rickie P, who has been there and done that, thinks Hurley will say no to LA:
It may also be wishful thinking because Rickie P. has assembled a very good team for next year, one that should be in the top 4 in the Big East, and he wants another crack at Hurley. His SJ team was the last team that lost by single digits to UConn, in the Big East Tournament.

100 million bucks guaranteed
Dan might want to talk to his accountant rather than his agent on that one......Not so guaranteed at least in Cali. .....I read and heard alot about celebrities and such fleeing CAL (then the story about Ohtani trying to play for only $2 mil a year to avoid Cali taxes ( of $700 mil ) while he's with the Dodgers but Cali trying to take action with Congress against it)

Seems like it is true according to Bloomberg, but It's not my money and I guess it's a win-win choice for Dan as he had said about Karaban and his back to Uconn or NBA decision.

Feb 12, 2024 — So if a wealthy person earns and spends labor income in the state of California, the tax rate at the margin could approach 60%. = $40 mil in Cali Money

California's High Taxes Are Driving the Wealthy Away

Last edited:
IF he leaves- Is the most likely successor Kimani Young or Luke Murray? Does the guy who doesn't get the job leave with Hurley?

Part of me thinks this is all leverage by Hurley and agent to extract the most money they can out of UConn. $5-7 million a year is a great salary. How much richer does $15 million make you? Rich enough to buy some yachts? Is that something he wants to do?

Money aside, if you watch the NBA game, LA is not the team he wants to coach. Apart from being in the wrong part of the country (NY, Philly or Boston would be better landing spots), their team has two aging, injury prone stars, no really great young players, and are facing a massive long term rebuild. They aren't a championship team now, and will not be for years, whether coached by Hurley, John Wooden, Phil Jackson, or anyone else. The NBA now is about developing young cores of players like the OKC Thunder has done. LA is years of high draft choices away from that. They are capped out and have no flexibility. You can't have two really old and/or very injury prone guys anchoring your team. I believe Hurley is smart enough to see that this isn't the NBA opportunity he wants. Stay at UConn, extract the most money, and leave after a few more championships and being mentioned in the same breath as Wooden.
Young would be first up, with Murray as the backup plan to Young.

The team is off today and no meeting is currently scheduled at UConn per Trilly Donovan.

OK.....I can go back into social media hibernation.... next project is to destroy SMU, Stanford and CAL in "conference" match-ups ( those ACC frauds !), to pay for his contract, LOL!

Them cheapasses the LA Lakers only offered $70 million. And when you take that down 60% for taxes the offer is marginally higher than what UConn is paying him, except it is to coach up a capped out, non-championship roster led by two aging, injury prone, non-coachable stars whose ceiling is first round of the playoffs. LOL. Choice of that empty bag of promises, or possible 3 peat. Good choice Dan!!!!

• Haha
Reactions: the Blades
Them cheapasses the LA Lakers only offered $70 million. Choice of that empty bag of promises, or possible 3 peat. Good choice Dan!!!!
Yep Dickie V. .....said it would've made him " only" a top 6 coach in the NBA, gotta pay more than that for a back to back gunslinger, LOL!

( If he doesn't work out I heard Lebron's buddy Kevin Ollie is available..;))
ESPN is now seeing the Lakers's offer for what it was: a lowball, and not exactly the first time they did this:
Well as I quoted above I guess the Lakers could always get that guy for the chump change he's worth (probably at about $3 mil a year, his Uconn rate )and for what they're willing to pay. And he does have NBA HC'ing experience, though KO was canned after only a few months with the Nets. :D

Last edited:
LA Lakers only offered $70 million. And when you take that down 60% for taxes the offer is marginally higher than what UConn is paying him, Choice of that empty bag of promises, or possible 3 peat. Good choice Dan !!!! +1
Hurley was everywhere on podcats and w/ the media horde Thursday......Story out with Uconn giving him a bump up $18 mil for the 2nd NC from last years deal, ( now @ about $8.33 mil a year)

"Hurley and UConn are finalizing a six-year contract worth an approximate $50 million, according to a UConn source. Hurley turned down a reported six-year, $70 million offer from the Los Angeles Lakers to remain with the Huskies. Hurley, 51, has led the Huskies to back-to-back national championships. He signed a six-year, $32.1 million contract that was announced last June."

Dan Hurley's new UConn contract

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT