ADVERTISEMENT

looking forward to Brimah/Okafor

northdakotahusky

Nov 27, 2010
This should be a really big challenge for our bigs. Watched Duke for about 5 minutes on friday. Okafor looked like a mature big. Brimah will struggle to stay in the game.

Yeah that will be something to watch and gauge just how much work we have before March. I dread that matchup because Nolan provides nothing. Lubin will see time, a lot of time in that game.

Do you really believe Lubin is an option as a backup 5? He is barely 6'7" and can't play a lot of minutes. It's not fair to try and play him in meaningful minutes against Duke unless there is an emergency and Nolan is not available. Nolan is at least a body.

My point is that Lubin will get time because Nolan and Brimah will get in foul trouble.

So watching Duke I was impressed and something different than the Duke teams I have hated in the past. Okafor looks polished but nothing that makes me think he is all that better than a Jarrod Sullinger who was great but not the end all NC piece. With that I thought the others on the team looked real good as well which can be a big difference for this team. Duke looks really good.

As far as how Brimah would do against Okafor? I think Nolan would be a little better in that his feet are faster, Okafor isnt a huge man, he is quick and has touch.

Dom I respect you but man you have to see where you contradict yourself on Nolan here right? You got a lot more love for Nolan than you think.

Nolan has not been real good so far but when you say he would matchup better on Okafor than brimah, I think that shows he still has a lot of value to this team. Okafor is legit. Stephen A said he was already would be In the top 5 skilled nba centers right now. And brimah is better than 90% of college centers at least. But you think Nolan would be a better matchup be it foul trouble or whatever a better matchup . This shocked me to see this came from you.

No one is thrilled with his performances so far, but there is no denying Nolan helped us win against adrian Payne Patrick young and about 30 feet of uk big men. He definitely has proven to have the potential to play very good which is a lot more than most unproven college players.

Nolan is solid on D. The problem with Brimah against someone like Okafor is that Brimah tries very aggressively to block everything and tends to leave his feet when he doesn't need to. I think what Dom was trying to say is that a player who has all the moves of Okafor could eat Brimah up meaning 3 quick fouls in say 5 minutes. Once that happens, in comes Nolan. Nolan is a guy who plays a more traditional straight up defense and that might be a better recipe against Okafor.

From what I saw against Michigan State the best stretch of defense they played on Okafor was when they put a big, physical, talentless white goon on him who pushed Okafor off his spots. That is how you slow down a guy like that - put a big strong body on him and knock him off of his spots, disrupt him, break his rhythym. Unfortunately neither Brimah nor Nolan have that kind of body. Okafor is probably stronger than both.

I still hope Nolan turns it around but always have thought his one contribution can be on D and against Okafor his better flat foot defense in th post will be better than Brimah's aggressive style is. Brimah needs to learn to not try and and swat shots into the stands on every attempt.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT