ADVERTISEMENT

KO has a new contract

the Blades

Gold Member
Jan 20, 2003
Ollie signed his new deal Nov. 10 ....was rewarded with a deal valued at about $3.58 Mil a year (w/no NBA buyout fee) The new contract, which began June 1, 2016, has a basic compensation of $17.9 million, for 5 years through 2021.......

The UConn athletic department says it does not receive tax-based revenue, so the salaries don't come from taxpayers. By the way Auriemma's 5 year deal is $13 million.....hmmm, I wonder which one is earning their pay ?
Auriemma, Ollie Under Contract At UConn Through 2021 For Close To $31M

Last edited:
Geno is earning his pay big time! What he has accomplished this year is most impressive. He is walking on eggshells because the team has a very weak bench and they are one injury away from disaster, but he has managed the roster really well from what I have seen this year. Geno has not been out coached by anyone this year. It's one of the most unselfish UConn women's teams I have seen. They function as an amazingly cohesive unit despite the core 4 players being 2 juniors and 2 sophomores.

Ollie should be getting paid by the hour.

Yes I had a beer in the afternoon, don't judge.

Yep.... I'm waiting on some money from KO that he owe me lolololol. J/K

When did his current contract expire? I've never understood the hate that gets pushed KO's way on these message boards. That being said, I probably wouldn't have rushed into a new contract, if the old one still had time on it. He won the NC in his second year, which was amazing. Still, the program has taken a decidedly bad turn in the past few years. There are good reasons for that, some of which may have been beyond his control. However, those reasons will soon be in the rearview mirror, and from here on out he owns the performance of this team lock, stock, and barrel. I would have liked to have seen the results before committing big money.

Last edited:
I will bet the 4 dollars you are worth CFP that he does.... only caveat is IF he leaves to the league for a gig!!

Reactions: Shaggydog84
Ollie is NOT living up to his duties right now but I want him to be here for 20 years. NC's are hard to get just ask Indiana that somehow still holds blueblood status.......UCONN needs Ollie to be great as this is NOT a destination anyone would pick that has no UCONN ties.

KO is our guy, he is new to this HC thing so I have come to the conclusion that he will get better over time, recruit more UCONN type guys and find his groove. That team with Bazz/Boat/Daniels/Giff was JC's last gift to UCONN and KO managed well. Now he has to find it again

He did not manage that team what a crock.

He grew and developed it. Bazz was a whiny problem child and Deondre was bunk in KO's 1st year not to mention a completely useless Niels.

The only "gift" JC left aside from a championship atmosphere was the post season ban loss of scholarships and recruiting restrictions you guys want to rake KO over the coals for.

Somebody please kill this ridiculous myth that KO was gifted a championship team and a ready made, turn-key program

Reactions: Ozzie3178
That's not really true about Giffey, he was a key contributor in the 2011 National Championship game win. They brought in Giffey to stick like glue to Butler's top 3 point shooter. Butler was shut down and shot 19% FGs which is an NCAA record. Giffey's sophomore and junior seasons were relatively disappointing and then he had a big senior season which would have been much bigger except that Ollie benched him in favor of Lasan Kromah after Kromah had a few good games. Ultimately Giffey, who shot close to 50% on 3s most of that year, was appropriately reinserted in the starting lineup in the AAC tournament and the rest is history. Giffey's defense and 3 point shooting were huge factors in the 2014 NCAA title run and his defense was a factor in the 2011 run.

Defensively he was great I didn't mean to sell him short but much different player as a senior there is no comparison there

That's not really true about Giffey, he was a key contributor in the 2011 National Championship game win. They brought in Giffey to stick like glue to Butler's top 3 point shooter. Butler was shut down and shot 19% FGs which is an NCAA record. Giffey's sophomore and junior seasons were relatively disappointing and then he had a big senior season which would have been much bigger except that Ollie benched him in favor of Lasan Kromah after Kromah had a few good games. Ultimately Giffey, who shot close to 50% on 3s most of that year, was appropriately reinserted in the starting lineup in the AAC tournament and the rest is history. Giffey's defense and 3 point shooting were huge factors in the 2014 NCAA title run and his defense was a factor in the 2011 run.
True and Giffey almost didn't have a big an impact as he did because KO was stuck on giving PT to a broken down Omar Calhoun who killed the team in lot of games
during the regular season with his poor shooting, D, ball handling and rebounding.... which most of us saw all year and discussed on this board but for some reason KO didn't .....thankfully as you said KSTW, KO finally woke up and gave ALL the PT to Giffey as the starter and Kromah off the bench who was another superior defender and glue guy.

Reactions: CaNOLEE
So he almost didn't have as big an impact because KO almost didn't do what he did?

This place is magical at times lol

And your bi-polar so either take your meds or get lost because your not worthy of a civil conversation...and " you don't have the capital to warrant as much effort as I'm giving you "

From Andersonfro: " I've been away because I got a little testy about the KO hire (thought it was a bad idea) & I didn't like how I was talking to people. I'm not here for gloating I'm just good in the head & ready to be cool. "

What stood out

And your bi-polar so either take your meds or get lost because your not worthy of a civil conversation...and " you don't have the capital to warrant as much effort as I'm giving you "

From Andersonfro: " I've been away because I got a little testy about the KO hire (thought it was a bad idea) & I didn't like how I was talking to people. I'm not here for gloating I'm just good in the head & ready to be cool. "

What stood out

So your strategy is to attack me personally when your insane comments about the team are challenged? Best of luck with that.

I think we've found common ground in your acknowledgement that KO coached up and inserted the correct lineup before winning a NC and earning the f out of his paycheck prior to being hit by the full weight of JC's crippling sanctions for skirting the line on running a clean program

Insane comments, squashing opinion and personal attacks ? that your shtick loser....I've read enough of your snide remarks.... Your the only one on this board who admits he likes to talk down and attack people whether they liked the KO hire or now if they question KO, LOL ! Can't you read your own fricken words ? Now you think your the thought police? " you don't have the capital to warrant as much effort (as anyone) is giving you " more of your own words as you to try to squash opinions of paid members who are actually supporting this board, SMH !

You should have to pay to say something as dumb as KO almost didn't do something he did en route to a championship & hopefully Dominic had to take a small loan out to cover his comments lol

I'm sorry if you thought my statement about being hotheaded about the KO hire meant I was going to agree with every bizarre thing that get thrown around here

Last edited:
Even Calhoun didn't play Giffey enough his first two years for my taste. By '13/'14, I guess when the best defense wing started hitting 2 out of every 3 from behind the arc, It eventually became obvious he needed to play. Even when hacks like myself were calling for it on here years prior.

I agree Giff was underused at points in his career Canolee, but earlier there were equal/ other options. The only point I was making adding to KSTW thoughts was that Omar flat out sucked in 13/14 but KO couldn't see it until the NCAA's, nothing more or less. Giff's sophomore year, Calhoun's last, they made the NCAA's but everyone was caught in a numbers crunch on the front line, with three 5 star, and a 4 star recruit battling for PT up front, Olander ( who played almost 20 MPG as a back-up) and Giffey who also had Roscoe and Daniels getting time at the 3, with even Lamb too, when they slid him over in a 3 guard set. Giff's Sr season it wasn't even debatable that Omar shouldn't have been on the court .( he probably should have redshirted after surgery w/ Kromah in the fold)and KO finally saw what we all saw and were discussing here during the season.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT