UConn Soccer, Baseball and Softball Getting New Stadiums

Discussion in 'UConn Basketball' started by aman kidwai, Nov 1, 2017.

1. aman kidwai

aman kidwai Well-Known Member
    Staff
    Expand Collapse

From the agenda of today's Board of Trustees meeting, $60 million in funding was proposed for "athletic stadia and related projects." By the looks of Benedict's tweet, it looks like the upgrades have been approved and Storrs will be getting new athletic facilities. The documents do not state where or for what, but we have confirmed that the $60 million is approved for new soccer, baseball, and softball stadiums.

Back in March, the Board approved exploratory funds to begin soliciting designs for new soccer, baseball, and softball facilities. The cost of the project was estimated to be $46 million. From the Request for Proposal, construction was set to begin in the spring of 2018, which is also when the bonds funding the project will be issued. The school will repay the bonds through a combination of private donations and ticket revenue.

The 'very good news' means moving forward with breaking ground for new soccer, baseball, and softball stadiums and perhaps that we may be seeing designs soon. Additional funding was approved for a new student recreation center and infrastructure, which will ultimately be repaid by student fees.

1 aman kidwai, Nov 1, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 1, 2017
  2. KhalidShockedTheWorld

KhalidShockedTheWorld Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

Where is that money coming from? My understanding was the State budget is earmarking massive cuts to UConn.

3. the Blades

the Blades Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

4. the Blades

Expand Collapse

5. the Blades

Expand Collapse

Those of us buying tickets for other sports have already been paying for part of it with every FB, BB & Hockey ticket we buy::
    "Beginning with the 2017-18 sport seasons, we have established a new and modest F.I.T. (Facilities Investment Together) fee on all Husky athletic tickets.
    There will be a $5 surcharge on every football ticket, $2 for each men’s ice hockey and men’s/women’s basketball ticket and $1 for each men’s/women’s soccer ticket. The F.I.T. fee will be applicable to season, mini-plan and single-game purchases, but no assessment for UConn student tickets. "

UCONNHUSKIES.COM Facilities Investment Together

6. the Blades

Expand Collapse

Here's the update on the reconfigured project:
    "They are expected to break ground on the soccer stadium at the conclusion of the regular season, with the final match coming on Oct. 27 when men’s soccer faces SMU "......The Soccer Huskies will need to move off-campus next season. ( or if they host a postseason game, this year) They are expected to play at Pratt & Whitney Stadium, although the renovated Dillon Stadium was in the mix at some point as well......."The baseball and softball stadiums are set to be demolished after each team’s respective season, meaning both teams will also be off for a season. Baseball is expected to split games between Dunkin’ Donuts Park in Hartford, Eastern Connecticut State’s baseball stadium in nearby Willimantic and Dodd Stadium in Norwich."

"Beginning on Aug. 27, the western-most portion of Jim Calhoun Way between Separatist Road and I-Lot will be closed for infrastructure work"

The Uconn Blog- Work Beginning on New UConn Stadium(s) Project

Here's the latest layout with the new baseball stadium now pegged behind the new soccer stadium and Hockey rink:

[​IMG]

6 the Blades, Aug 25, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 25, 2018
  7. the Blades

Expand Collapse

One more, click to enlarge:
    [​IMG]

8. KhalidShockedTheWorld

Expand Collapse

I have a vivid memory of seeing a UConn soccer game exhibition match in Storrs in 1981, when I was a freshman at UConn, a year in which UConn won the national championship. The game, as I recall, was against Harvard, and the stands were pretty full. My recollection is that UConn won 5-1 or something like that.

I did a search on the Internet and amazingly was able to find highlights from the UConn 1981 championship game win against Alabama A@M in Palo Alto, California. Both goals by UConn featured fantastic passing and positioning. Here is the video, the tying goal sequence begins at around 2:25 and the winning overtime goal sequence starts at 3:25. Pedro DeBrito started the winning goal sequence which was finished with a header into the net in dramatic fashion in sudden death OT:

the Blades and permit22 like this.
  9. the Blades

Expand Collapse

Great find, KSTW, I remember watching that game, pretty funny seeing the opening ESPN sequence and recalling that originally it started out to do some Uconn games and Bill Rasmussen ( the Whalers TV guy )purchasing satellite time that no one wanted and the rest is history.

10. KhalidShockedTheWorld

Expand Collapse

Also funny that Kevin Slaten referred to UConn coach Joe Morrone as “Joe Moreno” jumping on the dogpile after the winning goal.

I should also note that Pedro DeBrito assisted on both the tying and winning goals and on both goals initiated the passes to teammates that started the action leading to the goal. On the tying goal if you watch DeBrito passes to Cornolo and gave him the chance to pass to Morrone or back to DeBrito for a give and go as DeBrito immediately streaks towards the net after making the pass. For the younger members here who don’t remember Pedro he was the undisputed star of that team, and a 4 year starter despite never having played high school soccer. I would argue he was greatest soccer player in UConn history. He was the NASL rookie of the year in 1982 and was also the true Big Man on Campus that year of 1981. I recall seeing Pedro on campus and at parties and everyone at UConn knew who he was. This was an era when soccer was bigger than basketball and football as far as UConn being a national player. Corny Thompson was the star of the hoops team and John Dorsey (now Cleveland Browns GM) star on the football team but Pedro was the man and one of the best athletes in UConn history. They should do a dedication to him and invite his family to attend at the new stadium as sadly Pedro died in a car accident in Miami a few years ago. He was the Kemba Walker of UConn soccer his final 2 years at UConn. During Pedro’s 4 years at UConn the soccer team had its best record over 4 years in program history and this wasn’t an accident.

I remember going into that game there was a lot of concern about UConn being able to handle Alabama A&M’s speed. They obviously proved they could.

10 KhalidShockedTheWorld, Aug 26, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 26, 2018
    the Blades likes this.
  11. the Blades

Expand Collapse

One other thing regarding funding I do recall a former Uconn soccer player stepped up:
    Courant: Tony Rizza ('87) Gives $8 Million For UConn Soccer Facility

and:
    UConn Foundation donations up, $82.45M received (Jul 26, 2018)
    "The University of Connecticut Foundation announced Wednesday that it has seen the largest annual amount of donations in the foundation’s history, some $82.45 million, a 15 percent increase from fiscal year 2017."