ADVERTISEMENT

Kentucky/Kansas

Dominicfrank

Aug 28, 2004
Kansas looks terrible. Kansas has zero leaders in that they have no one in control when they are on offense. Two things need to happen to beat UK and starts with having a leader on offense and a defense first team.

Also as a side note, watching these UK fans just fuels my hatred for them.

Another side note.......having JC on the sideline reporting sucks. Terrible role for him, I dont see that lasting soon.

JC is terrible as the side line guy.......he just talked for 3 mins and I couldnt make out one thing.......

Kansas is just not that good YET. They have some good guys out there but the book isnt out on UK yet....

These refs are really favoring UK as well, that last call on Kansas was terrible.

Kansas doesn't look good because they are playing a vastly superior team. UK platoon system is working. This could be a new development in college basketball.

Bilas and Shulman have pointed out that the genius of Calipari as a recruiter is that he tells kids they don't need to amass lots of stats to attract the attention of the NBA. As Bilas said, talent cannot hide from the NBA, even if playing a lesser role or in a platoon. Calipari tells these kids that they dont need 20 ppg or 5 blocks per game if they can just go out, play ball and show their talent. And they are buying it and the success of the platoon system means that 10 McDonald's All Americans can be recruited for the roster every year. 11 would be too much but 10 is workable into 2 platoons of 5 men.

This post was edited on 11/18 10:27 PM by KhalidShockedTheWorld

At halftime Calipari said the second platoon is not "subs", they are "reinforcements." I love the verbiage!!!!!!!!!

I watched the Buffalo game.......lets not bless this system just yet. I for one think it WONT work and dont buy that Kansas is that good, they will need time just like we will to be good. What the Platoon system DOESNT do is become united and TEAM strong. UCONN as the best example of what a season can do for a team. Being united as one is more powerful than individual talent.

I dont think Kansas is out of this game tonight actually.

That was an all out beating UK just put on Kansas. I think Self and Kansas are just not that good, they have great players but they have no leadership especially on the ball. Wisc is exactly the type of team that can and will beat UK. Tonight was a banner performance for sure but I think that is about as good as it will get for UK. I dont buy the platoon system and I certainly dont buy Calamari. HIs post game quick talk with Andy Katz showed that he is already trying to defend his first loss. I hate that man and his poor coaching that has lead these kids to have to come back to school because they cant get drafted in the 1st round will catch up to him again this year.

There is no reason this team should lose......you have to be the worst coach on the planet for that to happen and the good news that Calamari is just that person to make it happen. If he does win it all how does that really look? You have to get 10 AA's to cover for your poor coaching ? Again, this group of talent shouldn't lose a game or even win a game by less than 15 points but it will happen more than once and it will not win a NC. Good beats Evil more times than not. Last year was the best thing that could happen with Saint Ollie beating the devil Calamari.........Calamari winning this year would equally as bad as last was good.

What ya think now? I don't think KU is a top 5 team atm but they do have talent and are a top 20 team

That was a pretty impressive early season game. Those guys will be really hard to score on. I'm not sold on kansas, but ellis and seldon are not horrible college players. They were totally out manned. Pretty scary kentucky team for sure.

Kansas was rocked and chalked. They were made to look bad by Kentucky. Kentucky deserved to be #1 and right now that platoon system looks very good. You guys don't realize but the platoon system may be a trendsetter.

Self Comments

Self:

"We never once did anything that resembled a team offense at all and I hope they were the primary reason why," Self said after sipping a glass of water and joking that he needed a stronger drink to help ease the pain. "I knew that we haven't practiced well or done some things real well, but I didn't think it would be like this. No matter how bad we shot it the first half we actually proved that we could shoot it a heck of a lot worse in the second."

http://scores.espn.go.com/ncb/recap?gameId=400585685

I don't know how this platoon thing is going to work out, but they are so big, and long...it's gonna be tough. I don't care who's coaching this UK team, they are a match up nightmare. I think Calhoun said it best...if you could make out his words...what happens in the last 8 minutes of a close game? Nobody knows yet, but I would love to have that problem at UC. KU will be fine.

Originally posted by Xzandernm:
What ya think now? I don't think KU is a top 5 team atm but they do have talent and are a top 20 team
First I think you are probably on the wrong forum. I also think Bill Self had an awful game plan and it was exposed quickly and early.

All the good we can say about what we saw last night can be countered with what we saw against Buffalo.

I do think this will be a tough team to beat and if this were any other school I wouldn't feel so determined to see them lose. I do think teams like Wisc can beat them and Calamari was right in that schools who get them fouling and can hit the three can win. The refs last night with the quick whistle were terrible and to me very one sided.

I have faith in Ollie that come March we can and will beat them again but it is a lot scarier than the last 3 times we beat them.

Kansas was held to 19.6% FG shooting in this game. The shotblocking of Kentucky, and the intimidation and length of UK, resulted in this situation just as surely as the same factors helped UConn hold Butler to 19% FG shooting in the 2011 championship game.

19% FG shooting is epically bad.

I heard on te radio that Kansas had a total of 11 made field goals the entire game. Uk had 11 blocked shots. Therefore, when Kansas put up a shot it had the same odds of getting blocked that it had of going in! That's crazy!

Regarding the verbiage and spin to try and convince star players that's it fine to spend half the game on the bench:

" The fawning over Calipari's platoon system is ridiculous. It's marketing and promotion. He'll have an

8 man rotation when it counts. "

If the refs let those bigs hammer anyone in the paint and dont blow the whistle UK is unbeatable, hell UCONN would be unbeatable unless someone hots 20 3's. Refs need to not get caught up in the hype that these bigs are that great.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT