ADVERTISEMENT

Kenton Facey...the new Kevin Freeman

northdakotahusky

Nov 27, 2010
A few weeks ago I convinced myself that Lubin was going to be the next Kevin Freeman. I thought KO was going to whip Lubin into shape and he would be running like a Deere. I even created a poll to predict who was going to see more minutes. Lubin or Facey. Thus far Lubin has really looked like a freshman who's not ready to contribute. On the other hand, Facey has been good. He hasn't showed much offense, but he had the decent rebounding game against Bryant. I thought he played good against Dayton as well. Neither he nor Nolan got a lot of minutes in the last 10 minutes of the game because of the 4 guard lineup. Facey probably would have got another couple of rebounds if we stuck to a more traditional 4. Anyways, I love his speed. He gets up and down the floor quite well. I'm not convinced he's the leaper Dom seems to think he is, but he certainly has better than average hops. Facey does not look like Kevin, but he's playing like Kevin did after half a freshman season. Getting some rebounds. Running the floor. Blocking a few shots.

I hesitate to call Facey a great leaper because there was a play in the first half of the Dayton game that a great leaper would of dunked. Facey brought the ball down for a nice reverse layup on the other side of therim. It was a good finish. But again, a great leaper would have dunked that all day.

This post was edited on 11/22 3:44 AM by northdakotahusky

I know the play that you are referring to. It looked like a setup for a dunk but I don't think the reason for not dunking it was his hops, it looked to me that he was very close to the basket on the move and didn't have his feet positioned right and didn't want to chance a mistake.

If Facey had position and was open, he dunks the shit out of that ball. However he is the kind of guy that cannot power a dunk through a defender (same with Nolan and same with Brimah). Last guys UConn had that could do that were Drummond and Oriakhi. I remember Oriakhi throwing down a facial on the Rutgers center who is the same guy that was called names I probably should not repeat on this board by the ex Rutgers coach Mike Rice. I always wondered whether the Oriakhi facial dunk served up on that guy (he was a weak European 6'8" dude) led to Rice abusing him.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT