ADVERTISEMENT

Kemba Walker - Charlotte Hornets Watch Thread

TateGorgeous

May 10, 2014
The Hornets desperately need a third option who really should be a #1 or #2 at SG or SF. Defenses absolutely grope, fondle and molest Kemba Walker while low skill players like Gerald Henderson eat up shot clock, can't shake defenders and dump the ball to Kemba at the last second for a low-percentage shot. It happened all year long.

The team is Al Jefferson and Kemba Walker.

I'm really hoping they add Lance Stephenson but the front office is very rigid and boring.

I will use this thread to post updates on the Hornets. They're my favorite NBA team because I live in Charlotte (since 1999) and am a Kemba Walker fan for obvious reasons.

I'm hoping to convert some people. Just want to be up front about that.

Because of how high Uconn fans regard Kemba, you'd find a lot of Charlotte fans here. I am one of them. I watched maybe 80% of their games this year. Even with a gimpy Jefferson not playing 100%, the Bobcats made it close in at least two games during the playoffs. This makes me believe the Heat will have plenty of trouble against the Spurs in the final round like last year.

Since the organization got money this year, they can attract a lot of elite free agents. They should hire upgrades above Henderson and Kidd-Gilchrist. And a good PG to back up Kemba. Kemba plays too many minutes.

Originally posted by steadylearner:
Because of how high Uconn fans regard Kemba, you'd find a lot of Charlotte fans here. I am one of them. I watched maybe 80% of their games this year. Even with a gimpy Jefferson not playing 100%, the Bobcats made it close in at least two games during the playoffs. This makes me believe the Heat will have plenty of trouble against the Spurs in the final round like last year.

Since the organization got money this year, they can attract a lot of elite free agents. They should hire upgrades above Henderson and Kidd-Gilchrist. And a good PG to back up Kemba. Kemba plays too many minutes.
I would agree with all of this 100%. Charlotte fans from NC ride MKG's tip and bash Kemba like crazy. It drives me mad. I need some reinforcements on my Bobcats message board!!!

I'm like the only one there who wants upgrades over BOTH Henderson and MKG. Kemba needs better wings.

Tate, can you give us a link to your Bobcats message board? I'd like to post comments over there.
Ok word.

http://forums.realgm.com/boards/viewforum.php?f=53

MKG is not a NBA starter. I said that from day one that he was a waste of a draft pick, you can get guys with better numbers for the money like Jeff Adrian outside of the draft and out of the D League. Jordan is a TERRIBLE front office guy but I hope he gets it soon or gets out. Kemba needs help and will leave the second he can and will be running with Lebron sooner than later. It might not be Lebron but it will be a good team that he can strive.

I hope the Bobcats get it right, they often screw up drafts so it would be shocking to see them all of the sudden get it right. This draft should be interesting.

Originally posted by Dominicfrank:
MKG is not a NBA starter. I said that from day one that he was a waste of a draft pick, you can get guys with better numbers for the money like Jeff Adrian outside of the draft and out of the D League. Jordan is a TERRIBLE front office guy but I hope he gets it soon or gets out. Kemba needs help and will leave the second he can and will be running with Lebron sooner than later. It might not be Lebron but it will be a good team that he can strive.

I hope the Bobcats get it right, they often screw up drafts so it would be shocking to see them all of the sudden get it right. This draft should be interesting.
I agree. Hate hate HATE MKG as a wing for Kemba. They play 4 on 5 when he's on the floor. Coach Steve Clifford removes him for most of the 4th quarter because he can't hit open shots, makes bad fouls and can't hit free throws. I hated the pick from the beginning.

BTW the Hornets do now own a pick, it conveys to the Bulls as compensation for the Tyrus Thomas trade. They do own the Pistons pick but it is top 8 protected in 2014 and the Pistons finished 8th. Another team would have to leapfrog the Pistons to force it to 9, at which point the Hornets would begin salivating over someone like Gary Harris. I hope the pick carries over to 2015 when it is only top-1 protected and I'd like for the Hornets to select Emmanuel Mudiay to share the backcourt with Kemba.

What sucks is that Jeff could of had his minutes but they had to give them to MKG because GM needs to try to the death to make it work. Daniels would be better than MKG.

I'd take James Young over Harris as an upgrade over MKG.
Some fans want James Young, some want Harris, most want McDermott. In every scenario, MKG gets to keep his starting job according to them. Young plays SG. McDermott plays some PF. When McDermott plays SF, MKG moves to SG. Early in the year if Jabari Parker were drafted, he would play PF and MKG would play SF or Parker would play SF and MKG would move to SG.

If the Hornets trade for Jeff Green of the Celtics, Green becomes the 6th man. MKG starts at SF.

If the Hornets acquire Gordon Hayward, Hayward plays SG instead of SF. MKG starts at SF.

If the Hornets acquire Carmelo Anthony, Melo would play PF. MKG starts at SF or moves to SG.

Under no circumstances are the Hornets to sign Luol Deng for it would "destroy our future".

However if the Hornets draft Mudiay, Kemba would become a "6th man".

This post was edited on 5/13 7:40 AM by TateGorgeous

This is the lineup I suggested and all the fans revolted because I traded MKG for Hayward. They said they would demand Hayward + Favors or Hayward plus Utah's top 5 pick.

Kemba Walker - PG
Lance Stephenson - SG
Gordon Hayward - SF
Cody Zeller - PF
Al Jefferson - C

They said the above lineup would get bounced in the second round every year and that we have to develop MKG to have a chance at becoming elite. They always say trading MKG is dumb because he's only 20 and that breaks up our "young core". I point out the age of that roster and allude to their ability to improve as a team as they play together over the years under Clifford.

Kemba Walker (24)
Lance Stephenson (23)
Gordon Hayward (24)
Cody Zeller (21)
Al Jefferson (29)

+ Pistons top-1 protected which can be used to replace Al Jefferson.

Another lineup I proposed and was met with cold stares

Kemba Walker - PG
Shaun Livingston - SG
Gordon Hayward - SF
Cody Zeller - PF
Al Jefferson - C

This post was edited on 5/13 7:58 AM by TateGorgeous

Emmauel Mudliay is not available for this drat, is he? If the Hornets are lucky enough to get him in 2015 draft, then Kemba gets traded a year after playing with him like what happened to Agustin. I'd rather than they go for Daniel Hamilton whom I still believe is a 1-and-done.

I agree on Deng being too old and a money eater. Hayward is much cheaper. And definitely younger.

Yeah Mudiay will be a freshman at SMU so he comes out for 2015. The Pistons pick owned by the Hornets is top-1 protected in 2015, so Mudiay is in play.

I'd take him to play SG kind of like how D. Williams and Shaun Livingston sometimes share court time.

I agree with Dominick's post that DeAndre would be an upgrade over Gilchrist. And much cheaper, too at #24.But Ozzie in another post has another idea pegging DeAndre for the rising Portland. It seems that there are quite a few interesting fits for Deandre in good places.

The Hornets own the Blazers pick.

I think Daniels is a great fit in Miami. They play small ball and he's well versed. He's a great spot up shooter and potential role player on a championship team. He would get wide open shots there.

Tate, that's another great thought. What's Miami's draft pick? Hopefully, its' guaranteed money. And Miami is known for giving hopefuls more than a ghost of a chance.

The Heat have the 26th selection of the first round.

I predict DeAndre Daniels will go there.

I don't see anyone I like for the Hornets at 24 and I'm hoping they package the pick with Gerald Henderson for Afflalo.

On my fan board I posted this trade.

Magic - Henderson + pick 9 + pick 24
Hornets - Afflalo + pick 12

Hornets select LaVine if he's there or Young if he's there or Stauskas or McDermott.

There is no difference in player quality from 9-12 and the Hornets have multiple players who fit because of their shooting woes. Maybe the Magic have someone specific at 9 they believe will not fall to them at 12.

Let's say for hypothetical reasons the Hornets use 12 to select James Young. I also want them to sign Greg Monroe.

Kemba-PG/Mo Williams (free agent)
Afflalo-SG/James Young
MKG-SF/James Young
Monroe/-PF/Zeller
Al Jefferson/Biyombo

That team adds 3 outside shooters (Mo Williams + Afflalo + James Young) allowing them to cut ties with Josh McRoberts who is not an NBA starter.

Number #26 at Miami for DeAndre sounds just about right. I agree on that multiple players (all deep shooters) will suit up for #24 at Charlotte. My #24 pick in the order of importance: Young, TJ Warren, Payne. At times, I have these thoughts that TJ Warren could be early star in the NBA but I have no firm basis to support that wild hunch, just an intuition, that's all.

Also I did not know that Mo. Williams is a FA this year. Well then, if Charlotte could snag him, it would be a boost for Kemba. I doubt, though, that the execs would favor him over Ramon Sessions, the latter having had considerable success over there. Mo is untested at least in Charlotte but I'd pick him over Sessions.

The Hornets win the 9th pick in the draft!!!

Interesting times.

We own picks 9 and 24 in a stacked draft and we have 19.5 million in cap space

Cleveland has the #1, and I feel like they will take Joel Embiid. They have now had the #1 pick in 3 of the last 4 drafts.

Charlotte can package their picks and move up in the draft to get a guy like Wiggins or Parker. They can use either one.
This post was edited on 5/20 10:13 PM by KhalidShockedTheWorld

Rest assured that whoever Cleveland picks it will be a poor pick and if its Embiid then it will be true again. They are just terrible at picking unless Lebron is there to choose from.

The Bobcats will strike gold with any of Embiid, Wiggins, or Parker.I just find it a little spooky Cleveland being this lucky from the last 4 drafts. The probability of this sequel of events happening together the way they did is almost zero and it happened..Call me skeptical but I just find it too fishy. It is the same franchise that got Lebron that may get him back next year.

Great thought, Khalid, the thing about your deal is that it is quite doable. I 'd hope that Gilchrist will be that valuable to another team. It might get expensive but they might have to sweeten the deal by offering either one of Henderson or Biyombo as well to seal it for Embiid; if that's even making business sense. It will very much depend on how much value they would pin on Embiid. Would Gilchrist and #9 together ring up equal value? Very possible.

That scenario you drew plus getting free agent Mo Williams(suggested by Tate) as a backup to Kemba would make for an East championship contender in 2 years. Add to that squad a killer 3-PT shooter in the mold of Ray Allen, it could be a likely championship final for the Hornets in 3-4 years. So happy Michael Jordan will be, he will grow some hair.They have cap space to realize all that. Miami, Boston, NY will rebuild. Under this scenario, only the young Pacers and soon-to-rise Cleveland getting Wiggins and Lebron could get in the way of the Hornets for 1 - 4 years. I'd just hope Embiid would not be injury prone like that guy from Ohio State did, what's his name again?

This post was edited on 5/21 1:58 PM by steadylearner

Here is what Kemba had to say about the Hornets signing Lance Stephenson:

3h

CLT is gonna be ROCKINGGGGGG!!!!!!

Here is the 2015 roster so far

PG - Kemba Walker/Brian Roberts
SG - Lance Stephenson/Gerald Henderson/Gary Neal/PJ Hairston
SF - Michael Kidd-Gilchrist/Marvin Williams/Jeffrey Taylor
PF - Cody Zeller/Noah Vonleh
C - Al Jefferson/Bismack Biyombo

Notice the logjam at SG and the flimsy depth at PF.

Charlotte is in the market for a PF, I believe even though they spent pick 4 on Zeller and pick 9 on Vonleh. Both are very raw. Vonleh is only 18. This is a win now team so I have to guess they're targeting a PF despite their current investments.

Zeller and Vonleh have to be allowed to play and develop. There is always the possibility that one or the other will be traded and a more experienced guy brought in, but this team is not winning the Eastern Conference. They are a playoff team though and they are getting better. They should allow the core they have now to grow. Stephenson was a good pickup for them and improves them as does Vonleh although Vonleh is a few years away.

Lance has become a force but he can also turn this team into the Sad Sac Kings........ He is selfish and a terrible ball hog. Char needs to be careful here and not let him ruina good young team. This could be a great move but also a really bad one.

Lance to me is borderline cancer, I hope MJ and Kemba can cure him of this. I wonder if Lance still crys when he sees Kemba?

The Hornets announced today, the day before Opening Night for the new branding of the Charlotte Hornets at Time Warner Arena - Kemba Walker and the Hornets agree to 4 year 48 million contract beginning next year. Great for Kemba and my Charlotte Hornets. The backcourt is one of the better bargains in the NBA - Kemba + Lance for 21 million.

They still need a shooter - maybe Afflalo at the deadline or go all in for Klay Thompson.

WHAT AN OPENING NIGHT FOR THE HORNETS AND KEMBA

On the heels of signing a 4 year 48 million dollar extension yesterday, Kemba hits a game-tying 3 point shot in front of a roaring sold-out arena to complete a 24 point comeback, the largest in franchise history, sending a smash hit opening night into overtime. The Hornets are back in town and Kemba Walker is their go-to guy. Luckily for the Hornets, Kemba is one of the most clutch players in the NBA. He didn't even bother letting the ink dry before hitting the go ahead bucket with 5 seconds to go in overtime. He tied it. He won it.

$$$$$

Watch here:

http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=11787744&ex_cid=espnnbaTwitter

I went to the Grizzlies - Hornets game last night and Kemba definitely is in a shooting slump. The fans are on his ass. Kemba + Lance went 1-17 combined. The fact Kemba hits big shots when pressure is at its peak suggests maybe he's better when he doesn't have a conscience out there. He and Lance may be overthinking. They have to get into a flow and not think.

Man, I ot the NBA league pass to watch Kemba and Bazz this year. Hornets look TERRIBLE. I know its just one game but I really dont like that team at first glance. Lance is such a ball hog, MKG is wild and while top level energy its just not effective, backups are a cast of has beens and never were's, and Jefferson can play but it is odd and it looks like he is about to fall over and die.

Kemba is dealing with an interesting group that I dont see being a good team at all but for his sake I hope I'm wrong.

It's way early to judge them or any other team. The team will take time to gel. I would expect Charlotte to be a playoff team. Kemba signed an extension and to whom much is given, much is expected. The fans want to see him play like a $12-14 million man. They did not see that last night and when someone sucks, the fans have a need to let him know. After all, they are paying for Kemba's extension. It was a bad game for him and the team. I think they will be OK. Vonleh will help this team eventually. It will take some time.

This post was edited on 11/2 4:39 PM by KhalidShockedTheWorld

Yeap, just two games but I have watched these players on other teams so there is more than just this to go by. Again, I hope that I am wrong, Kemba needs me to be.

Charotte sucking against the Knicks tonight but have to say Knicks looked great last two games. They had 30 plus assists in beating the Cavs the other night, more than any game total last season, and seem on their way to matching that total tonight. The Hornets do not seem to have any chemistry right now. Knicks up 15 and still early. Stoudamire seems to be bulling his way around inside and ripping rebounds away from the Hornets bigs. I think Charlotte needs some more seasoned big men.

Tough loss for Charlotte. 3 chances to tie the game and send to OT at the end, 1st a bad TO by Stephenson, then a phantom 5 second call on Charlotte (ball released at 4- clearly not a violation), then Kemba shook free for a clean look, but missed the jumper inside 10 seconds. Very exciting game. I thought Charlotte played great D on Anthony at the end, he was made to make big shots at the end. Solid win for Knicks, Charlotte looked good, but had touch luck at end.

3 games and 4 shots by kemba to stave off loss.......he cant do it alone.

This post was edited on 11/3 2:58 PM by Dominicfrank

Kemba is NBA player of the week. The Hornets are on a 5 game win streak, suddenly 1.5 games behind the Brooklyn Nets for the 8th spot in the playoffs.

Kemba has emerged as the franchise player in Charlotte, signing a 48 million 4 year extension before the season, and stepping up in Al Jefferson's absence to lead a new-look Hornets offense focused on Kemba. He's getting screens from his bigs and the post is not clogged by Al, opening driving lanes. It's amazing how he has looked. He looks like a star out there and could make the All-Star team. The Hornets players love him and the fans are really falling in love.

Kemba is top 5 in PPG for point guards and 2nd to only Chris Paul in A:TO among NBA starters. He had a game winner against the Pelicans that made top 3 plays on ESPN.

Kemba needs a shooter. Maybe the Hornets can acquire Jeremy Lamb who is racking up DNP's in OKC

Check out some of his plays this past week…

http://www.nba.com/hornets/video/2015/01/12/150112KembaPOWmov-3489352

I invite all Knicks and Nets fans to root for the underdog Hornets as Kemba pushes for the playoffs and possibly more.

This post was edited on 1/13 8:17 PM by TateGorgeous

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT