ADVERTISEMENT

Just heard KY for Hami

Congratulations to the young man.... nothing and I mean nothing else we could have done!
Quade Greene sold him to help him out at KY next year in the backcourt. That ultimately won out

Wishing nothing but success for him short of a nc.

I'm just a little weirded out by these supposed one & dones, they don't seem to do much for a program

I would say the way we're playing this year versus the way Kentucky is playing sold him.

Wrong..... kids don't care as much about that as long as a good team is coming back with them next year and that they fit and can be featured!

We're deep at guard next year, assuming Al is healthy & mal is as advertised I don't even know how the kid would have fit.

He wouldn't have filled a need. Just a bummer to lose a kid the staff invested so much time in and from Putnam/NYC.

Congratulations to the young man.... nothing and I mean nothing else we could have done!
Quade Greene sold him to help him out at KY next year in the backcourt. That ultimately won out

So the guy left his "brother" (Mamdou)behind to play for a guy who is not from the same city , and had been recruiting him for just a few weeks?

Makes me feel a lot better not getting him. Glad to have guys like Mamadou and others on our team.

We got a lot of talent coming in next year with Alterique, Terry, Mamadou, Makai, polley!

Reactions: andersonfro
I don't know if there's any way to put lipstick on this pig. This was a long recruitment, and a lot of effort was expended - more than on any other player in recent history, from what I recall. It seems like we've been hearing about him for years. This hurts - there's no two ways about it. Given the way things have gone so far this year, this is adding insult to injury. Horrible timing.

Yep that's what happened. Many are surprised but ultimately it his decision no one can force him ya know

"Next year, UConn is going to be a great team. They've got great players up there." @Diallo1Hamidou on #UConn.

Hopefully we meet them next year somewhere!!

No doubt we will have a lot of talent next year but will we have anyone on Diallo's level?

Probably not, but that doesn't automatically mean production. He's a sg, not a pg. for one season I take Jalen over him next year no questions asked. Aside from the losing out on a recruit part, it doesn't feel like a terrible loss.

Reactions: Ozzie3178
No question with Diallo we would be a legit FF contender and why he was wanted badly!!

But as many as have said... we have seen this in the past and still been alright :)

It is what it is. We move on. It's difficult mainly because of the current situation. We've missed b4. We'll miss again. Sucks cuz it's a local boy but as someone above mentioned, it's basically a business decision. There's never been any talk about academics. And, as Blades mentioned previously, we've whiffed in the past & brought in a few scrappies named Walker & Napier. I hear HD is a great kid. Good for him. I'm not crying. I'm not upset. Husky Nation lives :)

Did anyone watch the Ben Simmons showtime special? Some of these kids don't want to go to college. I think that anyone that wants to go right away, should be allowed. And if you chose to goto college, make them stay two years.

I was hanging my hat on well at least KO is a good recruiter. It's going to get to a point where we have to say "at least he's a good dresser and not in Al Qaeda". :D

2, go enjoy your team for the 15 minutes they'll be on campus and stop worrying about us, even though we are kryptonite to your program.

Stay classy!

The espn article said hami might redshirt this semester. I must be missing something. What would be the point in him redshirting if there is no way he uses all 4 years of his eligibility?

Just getting to practice with the team. If he's one and done or at worst two and done, why not burn some eligibility and at least be an option this year. Our fan base knows injuries happen. This train of thought that he should redshirt seems completely opposite from "he might declare for the draft this year". Seems like he would be almost sheltered and not contributing to a team that has final four hopes. The dribble drive is not so complex that the kid won't be able to jump in 6weeks from now if needed.

Yea that was always the plan. For him to come and get used to campus and play next year. Was never gonna play this year. He knows he has a lot to work on in his game to be drafted in top 10 or so for 2018 draft.

Right on. Well honestly if he did
Commit to uconn today and redshirted this semester, many uconn fans, myself included, would be a little pissed that with our current need of depth we would have another Ferrari in the garage situation.

Honestly if he was going to redshirt any team he committed too it makes the drama around this decision kinda funny. "And now by wearing this hat I announce that this semester I will be brining my talents to the Kentucky practice facilities."

Hamie is a turncoat. 3 years showing up at first night. What a creep. Basketball is a game of heart. He has none. hope the best for him. Doesn't look good. Lesson learned. Find the diamond's in the rough. If they don't commit early, forget them. Go Uconn.

No doubt it would have been great to get a talent like this, but UConn has not been built on one and done talents. Look at all our successful runs and you will find teams with experienced players. The team will be fine and life goes one. One player will not make or break anything. It just sucks at how much time was spent recruiting this guy, and how entrenched he appeared to be with the guys, for him to change his kind like this. Stings.

To me this means the kid never plays a minute in the NCAA. I remember an image taken from him visit where Ollie was talking to him alone in the stands. I imagine that talk was about what Ollie expected which was to play next year and he couldnt commit to that.

Calamari is a bad man, basketball ANTICHRIST and this is just one more kid that I think wasted a chance to be better than the rest. Briscoe type that deserves Calamari.

I was at a Sacramento Kings game recently and watched the former UK a-holes playing selfish ball. They have no desire to be great, literally ZERO team mentality which is all about what Calamari is about. Get paid and forget about championships. We are UCONN means something.......We are UK? Nope.....I am.......

Is what it is but I dont root for his success, its bad for the game. BAD for the game. Let these kids go to the NBA without coming to college and Calamri and UK drop off the map like they did when it was part of the game before. Calamari will pay these kids and their families because the agents and handlers COULD CARE LESS about the college game. Calamari and handlers think the college game is a joke.

Good riddance, let them all jump to the NBA which is a sucky brand of BBALL anyway. Give me 3-4 year players and true TEAM's.

It was a waste of time to recruit him, one and done players do not work piecemeal, you need a haul of 3 per year to make it work like U.K. or Duke. Recruiting one such player is not a blueprint for building team chemistry and UConn is better off sticking to the next tier of players and leave these guys for Kentucky and Duke who are going to get them anyway.

I was watching some hoops yesterday and there are plenty of teams having great success with second tier recruits like Xavier and Butler and Creighton. I look at those teams and ask why aren't those guys on UConn. So let's stop wasting time on kids like this while other programs are outrecruiting us for hard working players in the second tier.

Basically you don't want UCONN to recruit and any future one done players correct? Or is it only a waste of time if that one and done player doesn't pick your school?

It was a waste of time to recruit him, one and done players do not work piecemeal, you need a haul of 3 per year to make it work like U.K. or Duke. Recruiting one such player is not a blueprint for building team chemistry and UConn is better off sticking to the next tier of players and leave these guys for Kentucky and Duke who are going to get them anyway.

I was watching some hoops yesterday and there are plenty of teams having great success with second tier recruits like Xavier and Butler and Creighton. I look at those teams and ask why aren't those guys on UConn. So let's stop wasting time on kids like this while other programs are outrecruiting us for hard working players in the second tier.

I would have taken a top 10 talent for one year with what we have coming back.

The question is, will he ever play in a college game?

Yea you recruit PROs or potential future PROS every chance you get!!

Basically you don't want UCONN to recruit and any future one done players correct? Or is it only a waste of time if that one and done player doesn't pick your school?

No one and dones! Period! It's a complete bastardization of the concept of team basketball and those who advocate it failed Basketball History 101. Every UConn team that won a national championship did so without such players and did so with an experienced group that had had a couple years playing together at least. Honor the history or repudiate it. I choose to honor it.

Reactions: Dominicfrank
Khalid, do you like cutting the nets down in early April? Have freshman made contributions to our national championship teams? Lamb, Brimah, shabazz, etc... Come to mind.

Not everyone comes here with a degree in mind. Actually most dream of playing for pay and isn't the reason that most Americans goto college is to better their lives, whatever that means to the individual?

Drummond didn't work out for us, but I'd keep an open mind.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT