ADVERTISEMENT

Just curious about recruiting #'s

Shaggydog84

Gold Member
Jan 15, 2008
I went through every year that rivals has info on who we offered scholarships to (2002) & i find it interesting that the past 3 years we have cast a very very large net of offers relative to in the JC era. Now, there were a few years JC had alot of offers, but there were years (assuming info is accurate) where he had < 10 offers.

Is it the change in status (league), a different style (KO) or is this now the norm in college hoops in the age of 1-and-done's?

Also interested in "who" KO has been able to bring to Storrs. I truly believe he was cutting his teeth with respect to recruiting as a HC the 1st few years and there mostly seemed to be some type of connection or local kid angle. But, i think starting this years & next years groups, he's broken out and has shown he can recruit nationally (not just from his old high school or kids from NY/MA). dont get me wrong, nutting wrong with local recruits (ie Kemba), but i've been looking for him to be able to recruit at a higher level nationally. Not easy in the AAC of course. Just thought i'd pass some time starting this.

2013 was a quick turnaround, late in the game recruiting year
Samuel (local)
Facey (local)
Brimah (limit info & possibly his only offer)

Lubin (cant say he's a bust, he just wasn't that good)
Cassell (prior relationship)
DHam (same HS)

Enoch (local)
JAdams (local)

VJackson (national)
Durham (undervalued due to injury)
Gilbert (national)
Diarra (local)
Vital (local)

TPolley (national)
Carlton (national - maybe under radar)
MAL (local)

I'm not the best person to answer all of your questions, but basketball is different from football not just because of the program but recruiting areas.

So for basketball, UConn happens to sit between two very fertile recruiting areas in New York and Boston. You could put out a very good team if you just worked with what you had in the area.

Now that doesn't mean you should focus on just on the northeast, but let's not cast a shadow over recruiting local kids.

As you inferred, I do believe Ollie has now been able to establish himself both locally and on the national level. He is doing a great job using his LA roots to bring in and get serious consideration from kids in California.

It feels as if Dwayne Killings was a great addition to the squad and will only help improve UConn's footprint recruiting wise.

Let's not also forget by the way that Ollie was integral part of recruiting under Calhoun and brought in guys like Boatright (Illinois) and Purvis (North Carolina).

Recruiting is Ollie's bread and butter so I honestly don't even think too much about what's going on in this area since he seems to have a pretty good handle on it

Reactions: Shaggydog84
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT