ADVERTISEMENT

It's The TALENT stupid...

oldandintheway

Nov 8, 2009
Charlottesville, Va.
With sincere respect to all the players who discipline themselves, sacrifice, and work their tails off, however, as a recent mailbag question went to Des regarding the talent level, and now asked of HC , is the Talent Level lacking? Political correctness and politeness
aside, the answer is YES.

The talent level is pretty much the same as when RE left. Problem is RE knew what he was getting, and they bought into what RE preached, regarding their physical development.
That didn't continue in the PP era. Hell, back in August, when practice started, PP admitted at least 10 players didn't come back in shape. That didn't happen in the RE era.
Either our new HC continue RE's recruiting practices. Or, let's get a super recruiter who can overcome many conference status objections.

Uconn needs a proven coach, I still Petrino is available and has any interest he would be Uconn's dream coach. He can recruit and he is hell of a coach and they should have no problem paying him considering PP got. We will have guys getting drafted every year and winning football.

Originally posted by tnmavuli:
Uconn needs a proven coach, I still Petrino is available and has any interest he would be Uconn's dream coach. He can recruit and he is hell of a coach and they should have no problem paying him considering PP got. We will have guys getting drafted every year and winning football.
Be careful what you wish for.
wink.r191677.gif

He CAN coach. If your cupboard is stocked with talent, he can, and will, exploit it. No doubt. But he will use it for a stepping stone, and leave you empty.

The jury is still out on his recruiting. His two biggest recruits for UL (Michael Bush-Chicago Bears and Brian Brohm- CFL last I heard) were home grown and UL fans to start with.

He hasn't stayed anywhere long enough to know about his recruiting long term, but........

The year after he left UL we were 6-6. Shoulda been better probably, but it is what it is.

(He knew the situation better than anybody...might be why he left. Orange Bowl victory with 16 returning starters, a Heisman candidate QB, and pundits talking another possible National Champ shot....so he bails on a resume builder like that? Makes zero sense).

Just sayin...I think he knew the music was about to stop in Louisville, no matter what it looked like on paper, and wasn't getting caught without a chair.

Krags then made it worse. (Charlie Strong has had two of our best classes ever, and this one is the best ever. So CCS has crushed CBP's classes in rank.)

The year after CBP "left" Ark, they were 4-8. Granted that was a mess and there was turmoil, but an on-staff Asst coach (John L Smith-who recruited most of CBP's best players while HC at UL) took over so there shouldn't have been that much change. Now Bielema is only 3-5 there the 2nd year after CBP, and they are terrible.

xxxCBP did wonders at two places, but with two other coach's recruits. John L. Smith at UL, and Houston Nutt at UA.

He may, in fact, be a hellava recruiter, but he has to stay somewhere long enough to find out. So far, the classes he leaves the next guy, pretty much have sucked on the field.

Given the state of UConn football 0-7 and not even showing up for most of those 7, I say having a big name coach come in even if it is for a few years isn't the worst thing they can do. Getting an up and coming assistant will take years and years of building just to get back to where we were 3 years ago. In the mean time, the best we can hope for is middle of the pack in what the media considers a joke of a conference, and the occasional invite to be the sacrificial lamb for a power school to insure a W before heading into their conference schedule..

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT