ADVERTISEMENT

It won't be long now

I know everyone wants 5 DBs against spread teams that play with tempo, but if you can't stop the run(zone read), it's not going to end well. Very few dual threat QBs can pick you apart downfield with consistency. The heisman winner couldn't, but the national champ could. No coincidence.

I know everyone wants 5 DBs against spread teams that play with tempo, but if you can't stop the run(zone read), it's not going to end well.
That's what he played @ Nova, but I can't see him going with that right away with the 3-4 personal Diaco recruited which was heavy on 6-4/6-5 DE/LB type hybrids... I'm guessing somewhere in between, being flexible, with stunts and blitz packages that we never saw from Diaco. Hell Diaco was so conservative with his bend but don't break concepts he had his CB's 10-15 yds off the wideouts almost always...Plus with Randy being more of a defensive side of the ball guy all through the 90's since he came as a DC @ Ga Tech, I would think he'd have more to say regarding the D. But if it's a younger version of Don " Dr. Blitz" Brown.... I'm down..... instead of Diaco's D that he'd rather sit back like a victim. As I said way above in this thread.. aggressive... on both sides of the ball would be a good start... if they want to try and get the fans back.

Randy also hired this former all ACC and NFL vet to handle those DB's:

Last edited:
I'm bummed he didn't bring fellow Norwalker Lyndon Johnson back. Lyndon was the only guy he took to Maryland, so it's surprising. He coached LBs and was recruiting coordinator at one time, I believe.

I think Diaco uses an odd front( 3-4) but has only one player two gapping? Usually the bigger, stronger, less explosive DE. I like this defense, because it flips to a 4-3 or even a 5-2 for short yardage. 5 db's are great in coverage, but they better be tough as nails if they are going to set the edge in the run game/bubble screens.

That being said as we all know, you can scheme until the cows come home, but you always have to have quality personnel. Even Bama, with all their 5*s on defense gave up 80 to Clemson the last two years.

Reactions: the Blades
Randy still has room for 3 more hires, DL, OL and WR's plus he hasn't named additional duties, recruiting, ST's etc...so maybe there's still a chance for Lyndon.
Is he still with Ambrose @ Towson ?

I believe he's at Towson per his facebook, Blades. I thought he was a NT at UConn, but he may have played OL. Per his bio, he has coached a lot of different positions. TE, LB's and now RB's, which surprised me. I know he has a few kids, so maybe he wouldn't want to uproot them again school wise.

I remember years ago I put him in touch with a guy from Lakeland, Florida for Uconn. He had a step son that played LB that was built like a shithouse, but was 5' 9 tops. He had a teammate and close friend named Tony Joiner that wanted to play with him but ended up playing safety at Florida and winning at least one national championship. He may have been involved with a murder this year, but that was the good ole Urban Meyer Gators for you. ;) The guy I knew also had two younger step sons, which I told Lyndon about. One played LB for FSU and is now with the Steelers(Vince Williams). The other was a 5* safety and then converted to RB and won a national championship at FSU and was recently with the Bills, but got cut because he gained a lot of weight in the offseason. His name is Karlos Williams and I believe was resigned by the Bills after scoring like 10TD's as a rookie in '15.

One word....aggressive...... on both sides of the ball, I'd even take a younger version of 2 former Uconn coordinators, Morehead ( Penn St) and Don Brown ( Michigan) if they're out there. Diaco's bend but don't break D while he's giving up 30 or 40 and his offense ( like PP)which all they wanted to do was play possession & run out the clock until they are down 3 scores has been as big a part of destroying Uconn's fan base since they took over as their garbage records. Oh and maybe a special teams guy who might want to set up a punt return( never a problem for Edsall) since Diaco didn't believe (to much risk) in trying to score points that way...SMH... ( I kid you not) ...just for comparison the Courant's FB guy just tweeted this out to show what PP & Diaco did to the fanbase since Edsall left

C1bqIIDUAAAgfFp.jpg

C1b_wyaUUAARJ-N.jpg

Blades you mind if I throw these numbers together into a couple graphs? These numbers really spell out to how important it was to take the deal with moving BC game to Fenway as well as how astray the program has gotten thanks to PP/Diaco. Also where did you get the season ticket numbers from?

Reactions: UconNell
I think Diaco uses an odd front( 3-4) but has only one player two gapping? Usually the bigger, stronger, less explosive DE. I like this defense, because it flips to a 4-3 or even a 5-2 for short yardage. 5 db's are great in coverage, but they better be tough as nails if they are going to set the edge in the run game/bubble screens.
That being said as we all know, you can scheme until the cows come home, but you always have to have quality personnel..

Well here's the scheme from a story Aman did last night, we shall see:
Q&A on New UConn Defensive Coordinator Billy Crocker
1) How would you structurally describe the Billy Crocker defense and its style? Has it had the same identity for his four years as DC or has it changed in any ways?
Crocker utilized a 3-3-5 setup at Villanova that was predicated on a 'MAYHEM' concept (we wrote about it here). Put simply, it's very aggressive. You are almost always blitzing at least one linebacker, and the defensive backfield gets in on the act a lot too. You need very athletic linebackers who are comfortable playing in a variety of roles This is also known as the ATTACK concept (Football Study Hall brilliantly goes into detail here).

oh and regarding Lyndon/ staff, it's looks like Lashlee (Edsall) is bringing an OL coach he worked with 3 years @ Auburn.

Last edited:
I'll take a look at those articles Blades. Thanks for posting.

That is one thing I like about an odd front, you have to guess where the fourth/fifth rusher is coming from. Unless Lawrence Taylor comes out of retirement, then I'd guess most likely he's coming on a blitz.

I just got done watching Arizona UCLA play a wonderful, free flowing and exciting basketball game.

A delight compared to watching UCONN fail to break 50, in a 40 minute game with a 30 second shot clock...................

It wont be long now
KO K.O.

Well here's where the AD's big money is going... Edsall just completed hiring his staff, he'll save the FB budget over $1 million a year from the mid 2016 Diaco numbers. The total staff (himself included) comes to $3,230,000 or less than one buyout of Bob Diaco @ $3.4 Mil.........Uconn also gets Edsall and his entire 11 member staff for around the same as it costs them one year of Kevin Ollie.....minus one DB coach or so.

2016 Uconn FB salaries
Diaco,Robert .... University of Connecticut 1,748,333.12
Poindexter,Anthony ... University of Connecticut 338,092.08
Verducci,Frank ... University of Connecticut 330,723.91
Cummings,Michael ... University of Connecticut 284,366.26
Brown,Vincent ... University of Connecticut 281,893.98
Patterson,Donnie ... University of Connecticut 278,509.33
Balis, Matthew .... University of Connecticut 228,778.80
Lineburg,Wayne.... University of Connecticut 225,695.88
Wolthausen,Kevin.... University of Connecticut 225,695.55
Reardon,Joshua .... University of Connecticut 130,158.62
Corley Jr, David .... University of Connecticut 130,158.62
Lawless,Sarah .... University of Connecticut 115,390.60
Total-------------------------------------------------------$ 4,317,790
+ ------------------------------------Buy out-----------$ 3,400,000
JB Grimes- ------ Offensive Line---- $250k on a one-year deal:
Terry Richardson--- Assistant Head Coach, Running Backs---- $245K on a one-year deal:
Curome Cox ------ Defensive Backs---- $175k on a one-year deal:
Dennis Dottin-Carter-Defensive Line----- $170k on a one-year deal:
John Wholley--------- Linebackers---- $155k on a one-year deal:
Aaron Smith --------- Wide Receivers, Recruiting Coordinator---- $145k on a one-year deal:
Corey Edsall---------- Tight Ends ---- $95K on a one-year deal
Eric Klien------------- Director of FB Strength & Conditioning--- $220k on a 2-yr contract:
Ryan Steinberg------Director of FB Operations---- $125K on a one-year deal
Total ---------------------------------------------------------$3,230,000

Also here's the rest of the BB staff mid year 2016 cost :
Ollie,Kevin.........University of Connecticut.... 3,041,667.12
Miller,Glen.........University of Connecticut....... 308,902.75
Hobbs,Karl ....... University of Connecticut ......246,383.53
Moore,Ricky.......University of Connecticut...... 240,566.55
Freeman,Kevin..University of Connecticut...... 172,798.20
Griffin,Daniel......University of Connecticut ......51,652.72
Sevush,David....University of Connecticut........52,352.32
Total------------------------------------------------------$4,114,320

Last edited:
And for total gender transparency.... LOL,......the 5 Women basketball staff costs Uconn :

Auriemma,Geno....University of Connecticut.. 2,285,763.12
Dailey,Christine....University of Connecticut .....338,022.05
Ralph,Shea........University of Connecticut....... 230,127.26
Moseley, Marisa....University of Connecticut.... 216,553.72
Darras,Sarah....University of Connecticut........ 123,887.78
Total-----------------------------------------------------------------$3,194,352

Blades if UConn girls go all the way how much money will that bring in to UConn, in revenue to offset the salary expense?

Blades if UConn girls go all the way how much money will that bring in to UConn, in revenue to offset the salary expense?
NCAA money like most post season $$ ( Bowls etc.) is pooled and split by each team in the conference, but I haven't looked it up for the females.
Example:
money_earned1.png

Last edited:
@Blades Lyndon Johnson was named defensive coordinator at Towson state yesterday. It's a nice promotion. Maybe he'll be back after a few successful years.

Reactions: the Blades
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT