ADVERTISEMENT

It won't be long now

lol yeah it was time to go, staring down the barrel of a post season ban & the loss of scholarships for not graduating players, he's too old to have Internet coaches cry about his record while he puts that in the rear view.

I just heard Geno going ballistic on his little freshman
PG for walking the ball up the court with about 10 secs to go in a quarter because she was totally clueless about the game clock...some of these
kids have the attention span of a gerbil.....and whats abusive about this..;).. when a kid doesn't make the right play if his team mate is open coming off a screen...MICRO MANAGING it's a HALL of Fame concept.......... LOL!

I agree with this, that there is and should be a zero tolerance policy for mental mistakes and there was under Calhoun and is under Geno. Yesterday Geno benched Saniya Chong, a senior, for most of the second half because she had two consecutive casual passes that were intercepted for fast breaks going the other way. It really looked like her head was not in the game and the rest of the game her back up/garbage time minutes went to freshman Molly Bent. But then I noticed that Bent came in the game and she was playing extremely "safe" basketball, in other words a couple times she had daylight to drive to the hole and either score or get fouled, but instead she pulled it back out. I realize that it's "safe" play when the team is up by 37 points but I would like to see what she can do with her driving game..................

Getting back to Chong, she is a talented offensive player who has been repeatedly benched for these kinds of mistakes throughout her career. Her attention span seems to go in and out- she did come up with huge baskets that were critical in the road wins at Florida State and Maryland, but other times she does not look focused. Between that and nickel and dime injuries due to being a girl or small and slight stature, she is having a very inconsistent career even in her senior season. However she has proven reliable in end game situations and I suspect she will be out there over the freshman Dangerfield in crunch time type situations as she is usually more secure with the ball and can stick a 3 if left open.......

As to KO, it's hard to start benching people when you have no bench to begin with.

Reactions: the Blades
Canolee your being kind about middle of the pack right now. I was way ahead with my Ollie support and this current love affair (with mediocrity) before he was ever our head coach. You can read this board B4 JC left when KO was still an assistant. I called all the reasons why we needed one of our own to carry on the JC's linkage, his NBA PHD on the sidelines as a hanger on'er with a limited skill set, because he played the game right and did the right things. I saw when JC was clearing a path for KO when Lafluer went packing to PC because he knew he was being bypassed and how JC brought in two of his former CBB HC's ( Hobbs & Miller ) who understood the rules, ins and outs of the NCAA game, so they could serve as KO's mentors. KO looked the part and has always said the right things for years, but when I mentioned all this stuff I got alot of blow back from about 75% of the posters who wanted Shaka Smart or Brad Stevens.... my point was they or none of the other candidates would bleed blue... plus we'd be lucky if they didn't take a new job in 3 years.

Which leaves us at a crossroads right now. My big concern with KO back then and even more so now was game day. But also now especially is can KO coach BB IQ and toughness into the players he has ? I'm not talking everyone having to pass and be a playmaker like Marcus Williams, board it like Meka or shoot it like Rashad aka FishFry.... I'm talking about players playing to their strengths and away from their weaknesses..not dribbling right to a guy your gonna pass it to and throw a bullet from 5 ft away.....
man the f*ck up and fight for the ball before your running with it or let it slip away...just the basics of winning sometimes that Geno always has his girls understand....
There's alot of levels of truth and good counter points in everything written in this thread by all the posters, but something's gotta change....

Our elite BB program just lost to a school who brought in 11 new players this year. ( a bunch of unranked and 3 stars- https://tulsa.rivals.com/commitments/basketball/2016 ) Sure they played with only 8 players but so what, ( who recruited and developes these guys ?) that's a normal rotation in most years and KO is using 3 seniors, 2 sophs who've been in his system (overall two 5 star, four 4 star and a couple of 3's ). But Jalen (Top 25 player, great skill set and IQ coming in) is the only one playing close to what he looked like before he got here in HS at Brewster. No one's got smarter or tougher along the way. JA was gassed vs. Tulsa at the end but this wasn't lost at the end. 17 TO's with the same soft guys making the same soft mistakes over and over to constantly give up leads or fall way behind ? What does it take for a coaching staff to either develop these 4-5 star guys or instill winning hoops into their game ? This team beats theirselves over and over. This is coaching.

KO has a 6 man staff to handle 11 scholly players ...he's getting paid $3.1 mil a year at a HOF level ( Thank you Warde Manuel again...Salaries | USA TODAY,
way more than JC ever did ) and he's not worth it. We have a head FB coach who's been at it 17 years who's making $1 mil to handle 85 guys (105 w/ walk-on's) with a 10 man staff....So no coach and his staff deserves a hand picked $3 mil job for life...Husky or no Husky unless they're getting the job done. As Goodman from ESPN said above the injuries will be an excuse and it should be. But don't forget plenty of dumb and uninspired play vs. Wagner and NE before the injuries....

Diaco was told to do it but he wouldn't so he's gone........KO's got clean the fat from his staff and get some damn teachers of the game. If it's not on him then he's got to
get rid of these guys and their clip boards taking up space..............With all his cliches and excuses KO is sounding more and more like Diaco every day, but with the 4-5 star players Diaco couldn't get.....The AAC is about economic survival of the AD as much as winning, which goes hand in hand....lets' hope things get better but we have a 4-8 team right now...(Chaminade doesn't count)......Calhoun (link- record at bottom) has never been close to being this bad in 26 years in the toughest BB conference in the country.......... like I said Canolee your being kind....

Team........Conf W-L..Tot W-L... RPI Rank
Houston...... 2-0............12-3........ 77
SMU........... 2-0............ 12-3......... 36
UCF............. 2-0............11-3.......... 80
Cincinnati.... 1-0............11-2......... 34
Tulsa.......... 1-0.............. 7-6......... 182
E. Carolina..1-1............. 9-6......... 211
Memphis..... 0-1............ 10-4....... 150
Tulane......... 0-1........... 3-10....... 340
Temple........ 0-2............ 9-6.......... 29
So. Florida.... 0-2.......... 6-7......... 271
UConn.......... 0-2.......... 5-8......... 167

With the highest ranked win over a team at #202, Uconn has become one of the bottom feeders some of us were bitching about playing in the AAC, except with the 4-5 star recruits: ... Connecticut Huskies RPI Breakdown - NCAA Basketball
This is all going in the wrong direction, excuses or not. My only hope is make Uconn great again and as the saying goes wait till next year..Happy New Year !!!..Go Huskies !!

Now you want to fire assistants.

How do you know the assistants are saying the same things you are, how do you know they aren't bringing recruits KO is ignoring, offering advice KO ignores, installed this offense that consistently gets open looks?

You understand the danger in creating a revolving door for coaches here, right? Unless you've got a Popovich in your pocket cutting out coaches or their resources is the fast track to being Delaware. How's Texas, with infinitely better support/location/conference/income making out with Shaka Smart? Uconn's only chance is a KO success, might want to let him operate outside the shadow of the Jim Calhoun sanctions, with a mature and healthy recruiting class, before you jump to hire the next Matt Doherty.

Reactions: UConnFamily
ummmmmmm not exactly a great comparison with Matt Doherty and UNC
Doherty was en ex-player, and was hired with limited HC experience. He lasted 4 years.
This is Ollie's 5th year...................................how did UNC do after they rightfully replaced Doherty?

What you dont want is UNLV Post Tarkanian or Arkansas post Nolan Richardson

Here's what you need to wrap your head around. Uconn isn't UNC, we don't have the luxury of firing a coach so he can be replaced by a swing and miss. UNC has every sports network and writer pimping for them not to mention the best basketball conference to carry their water for down seasons. Uconn has itself, one HOF coach and that's it. You're not getting Calhoun - Ollie - Guthridge/Doherty- Roy Williams. If you run KO out on a rail without giving him the opportunity to succeed then nobody is going to want to come here, you'll get one hopeful after another.

Reactions: Ozzie3178
One thing I should add, since some are bringing up other schools and coaches. Check on how Shaka Smart is doing this year with Texas: 6-7 with home losses to UT Arlington, Northwestern and Kent State and some of those were blowout losses. Plus believe it or not they are shooting worse on 3s than UConn even.......this guy was one of KO's rumored competitors and head coach of U-18 team with Ollie assisting him. The others as we all know was Brad Stevens who is now in the NBA and doing very good work with the Boston Celtics the last few years. The bottom line on Ollie is his last two recruiting classes look pretty good and he should be allowed to coach the guys healthy and we will see what happens. The last 3 games have been very disappointing losses but this team can get better. Let's see what happens at Memphis Thursday and then thereafter. Still a long way to go and they could win the AAC tourney like they did last year and everyone will be happy if they do. But we hate to see them have to rely on doing that every year. I still think the main problem with this team is poor outside shooting and the only thing they can do is start developing the inside game more and hope that between that, Jalen's overall scoring ability and slightly better 3 point shooting will be enough to win some games as long as the D stays solid as it has been.............

Also, Michigan State lost to Northeastern at home behind their HOF coach. No program is immune to these kinds of losses especially when relying on some younger players.

I don't think you can coach girls and boys the same way. Girls are more coachable, especially when your coach is the greatest of all time in your sport. With Calhoun, guys were too tense about making a mistake and that turns into a self fulfilling prophecy. With Ollie, I don't think they care. Right now he's in a tough spot because of the injuries and I like that he has tried to use a little zone to keep guys out of foul trouble/fresher. But the overall development isn't there.

Either Ollie the coach or Ollie the GM has to improve or a change needs to be made.

Either Ollie the coach or Ollie the GM has to improve or a change needs to be made.

Hey It happens, I had my Diaco Please Resign thread up on the FB board for month, then I deleted most of it over a week ago because I started to hear some things....
....sometimes the president of a franchise ( AD) needs to see changes and lets his people know....first Benedict had BD do an OC search & when the coach didn't make the right changes he's gone........

That's not KO's deal right now....he's got time to turn this around & way to much Uconn street cred...plus he hasn't killed the fan base completely like Diaco/ PP did.....
But what a bad move for Aresco with the way Uconn's playing .....he should of kept the AAC tourney in Orlando (NCAA conflict ?) or moved it somewhere else...the XL could be a ghost town ... since I think the trade deadline is over .... unless our GM can sneak somebody in through waivers ;)

Last edited:
Blades, speaking of football,are you happy with Edsall round 2?

I coached football at Norwalk High for a short time and I know not everyone loves him. But if it means my buddy Lyndon Johnson gets to come home, I'm happy about it.

I am still mystified and confused by the Randy Edsall hire. I figured Dave Benedict was going to bring in one of his Auburn connected guys or someone who would be readily distinguished as a Benedict guy. Bringing back Edsall tells me Benedict is getting help with his decisions and is not yet his own man.

Blades, speaking of football,are you happy with Edsall round 2?
I coached football at Norwalk High for a short time and I know not everyone loves him. But if it means my buddy Lyndon Johnson gets to come home, I'm happy about it.
I was kind of shocked & always thought Edsall round one was pretty vanilla, but after PP and Diaco who knows what to think...... the only thing Edsall has going for him is his
reasonable contract and he might bring some stability which is a huge problem especially if you have a good coach in the AAC ( see Tom Herman, Matt Rhule and Willie Taggart all poached away as soon as you start winning) because where is he going at his age, but I'm done making predictions, we have Mizzou @ the RENT next year , so like their state says ...Show me.......

Also not a big fan of McMurphy but he pretty much nails it in this article :

"Absolutely, UConn can survive and thrive," Brett McMurphy, who covers college football for ESPN, said. "Look at what Temple has done. … They weren't at the bottom of the totem pole, they were under it. But they've had a great deal of success. "If you bring in the right guy and have the commitment, you can win pretty quickly. UConn can be a power in the AAC."
Still, in the modern-day pecking order of the Power Five conferences vs. everyone else in the nation, the question is one of sustainability, particularly in recruiting and keeping good coaches from leaving.
"The problem is any AAC team that has success raises the antenna of the Power Five athletic directors looking to replace a coach and the American is going to be one of the first stops they make," McMurphy said. "But would you rather go through a coaching change every two years because you've won the conference title or do you want to struggle through 2-9, 3-10 seasons and fire a coach after three years? You need to get someone in who is going to win and figure out how to keep him."

Edsall Has Big Job Ahead Rebuilding UConn Program

Last edited:
Where does Diaco land? Back as a DCoordinator?

Who was your first choice for head coach? Too bad Steve Addazio wasn't available.

The other thing you guys are not thinking about is that Group of 5 conferences are asking the schools that suck in football to leave. The Sun Belt asked Idaho and New Mexico State to leave the conference in April and now Idaho has downgraded to FCS.

You hate to think of worst case scenarios, but I think Diaco was fired in part because if UConn took another step backward over the next two seasons they could find themselves asked to leave the American- a dreaded and embarrassing possibility to say the least, but one that Dave Benedict saw as a possibility in light of what just happened to Idaho and New Mexico State. Group of 5 just can't tolerate suckitude in football. Suckitude in basketball acceptable though if football is doing okay.

Edsall is basically being viewed as a salve for the wound. Not a miracle surgeon, but someone who will stitch the patient up and get him back on the field.

Where does Diaco land? Back as a DCoordinator?

Who was your first choice for head coach? Too bad Steve Addazio wasn't available.
Joe Morehead or Todd Orlando ( 2 ex Uconn guys)were mentioned but I don't think either would want to risk it and look bad, Addazio was on thin ice after last year (3-9) but I guess at 6-6 and a bowl win he's safe for now, he needs to thank Diaco for making him eligible...

.but Uconn 's been kicked in the nuts so bad by Conference Re-Alignment & the last 2... .I don't know if Bobby Bowden could turn this around.....;) he's got a few years left on his ticker.... can you put in a good word !!!

Reactions: CaNOLEE
The lack of players is an absolute problem, due to foul issues and the fact that players wear down. That's likely what caused the losses to Tulsa, OSU, and Auburn. If you think it's bad now, stand by, because December just ended. How worn down will these eight guys be at the end of February? Adams played all 45 minutes against Tulsa, in his first game back.
That being said, I buy being worn out as good reasons for losing to OSU and even Auburn, but Tulsa? They're almost a totally different team from last year due to losing something like eight players. This is a game that UConn should have won, as those eight players should be more talented than they new players Tulsa brought in to fill their roster. Yeah, tired legs might be the reason for clanging a few free throws and making an errant pass, but that wouldn't matter if UConn was leading by 12-15, like they should have been. They have too many bad fouls and too many turnovers, which stops them from building leads. If every game goes to the wire, they are going to lose from fatigue. If they cleaned up the other issues and played well for the whole game, they wouldn't have to worry about last minute shots and pressure free throws - but I don't know if that's in the cards for this team.

They have too many bad fouls and too many turnovers, which stops them from building leads.

And poor shooting- I would say poor shooting, bad fouls and TOs are the 3 factors that prevent leads from being built. In the OSU and Auburn losses there were heavy doses of bad fouls, against Tulsa it was more poor shooting and TOs.

KSTW - my bad. I left out the most obvious problem, which is the bad shooting. If UConn played up to their alleged talent level, they should be able to beat an inexperienced and almost totally new team like Tulsa. Fatigue is no doubt a factor, but against teams like Tulsa, UConn should have enough talent to run away and hide before the fatigue kicks in.

Funny thing is that lack of rebounding, which I thought was going to be the biggest issue, is now number four on the list of issues.

Ha, you don't want Weekend at Bobby's. He was done in 1999, which was a pretty good year for an FSU football/Uconn hoop fan. As was '13/14:D I was hoping Uconn would hire a young up-incoming coach, but we've seen Edsall do a good job there already.

Maybe Kiffen in a year or two? :) Just kidding.

I don't know for sure Blades, but he was old 30 years ago ;)

I heard him on Mike and Mike today. The reason I Became a Seminole fan is they could put athlete for athlete on the field with Miami and do it with class because of Bobby, unlike the 'u'.

I don't think either of those programs are very classy. Didn't Jameis Winston get busted for shoplifting crab's legs from a supermarket?

Khalid, word was a friend 'hooked him up' and they got caught and he took the blame because he as kind of a big deal and his friend would have been fired.

I've had friends as bartenders over the years and I can say that I didn't pay for 100% of what I consumed.

And from a program standpoint, a football coach is responsible for 110 players at one time. I have only two kids and the shit ain't always easy.

As for Winston, he was a really a bad kid, I don't think Tampa would have invested all that $ in him.

@Blades, I know it would have been a long shot at best, but Chip Kelly is a new england guy(new Hampshire I believe) and if they waited another week, may have offered him the job.

I'm sure it would have only been a stepping stone back to an elite job, but 3-4 years of him would have been fun to watch.

@Blades, I know it would have been a long shot at best, but Chip Kelly is a new england guy(new Hampshire I believe) .
this..... they couldn't afford him anyway( $6 or 7 million vs. AAC TV money) and I don't see anyway he wouldv'e taken a job here.... I'm sure he's to big for New Enlgand now unless it's to replace Belichick ;)....also we should see what HCRE does for OC/DC soon:

I thought the needle in the haystack would have been coaching in New England after two straight flops on Sunday's. As well as less pressure to win. And people aren't going to line up to pay him north of $5 million right away. Maybe LSU next year if they get shut down by Bama yet again?

Or Syracuse could be a fit in a year?

I thought the needle in the haystack would have been coaching in New England after two straight flops on Sunday's. As well as less pressure to win. And people aren't going to line up to pay him north of $5 million right away. Maybe LSU next year if they get shut down by Bama yet again?
Or Syracuse could be a fit in a year?
See there ya go...we talk FB and you start thinking like an FSU P-5 guy again...Ha Ha ! ..Uconn's missed that bus along time ago, I think Herman was the highest paid in the AAC @ $3 Mil a year and UH still couldn't keep him....ah yes the BCS and the thought of big paydays, it was nice while it lasted as we play in the AAC for 10 cents on the $ !

Reactions: CaNOLEE
Blades, what coordinators would you like to see uconn go after? A guy from a smaller program or a young position coach from a big time school?

Fsu went for Bamas DB coach Jeremy Pruitt in '13 and made him a DC and they won it all. Then he went to Georgia for two years and now is back at Bama playing for a national championship. He would have been a guy I would have targeted as a HC, but like you said, it would be a stepping stone to a P5 job and he has a big ego as it is. He may think he'll get Bama when Saban goes to the Colts next week. ;)

Blades, what coordinators would you like to see uconn go after? A guy from a smaller program or a young position coach from a big time school?. ;)

One word....aggressive...... on both sides of the ball, I'd even take a younger version of 2 former Uconn coordinators, Morehead ( Penn St) and Don Brown ( Michigan) if they're out there. Diaco's bend but don't break D while he's giving up 30 or 40 and his offense ( like PP)which all they wanted to do was play possession & run out the clock until they are down 3 scores has been as big a part of destroying Uconn's fan base since they took over as their garbage records. Oh and maybe a special teams guy who might want to set up a punt return( never a problem for Edsall) since Diaco didn't believe (to much risk) in trying to score points that way...SMH... ( I kid you not) ...just for comparison the Courant's FB guy just tweeted this out to show what PP & Diaco did to the fanbase since Edsall left

C1bqIIDUAAAgfFp.jpg

C1b_wyaUUAARJ-N.jpg

Last edited:
Auburn AD making waves. Love it!!

He better get football to winning consistently which means at least 6-7 wins and bowl game appearance and get us out of this money milking conference sooon

Like you said Oz...this has Bendedict written all over it, Lashlee's name was being thrown around by some on the Boneyard as a HC after Diaco was canned (for offensive reasons and the DB connection) like was said big paycut ($600,000 to $350,000) so according to Auburn's Malzahn " for Rhett to implement and run his own offense."

AL.com- Rhett Lashlee leaves Auburn to become UConn offensive coordinator

“I am thrilled to have Rhett join our staff as the offensive coordinator and quarterback coach,” UConn coach Randy Edsall said in a statementl. “He is one of the brightest offensive minds in college football and I know that his experience around some of the highest-powered offenses and top players in the country is going to be an incredible benefit to our program.

Last edited:
Auburn AD making waves. Love it!!
He better get football to winning consistently which means at least 6-7 wins and bowl game appearance and get us out of this money milking conference sooon

UConn Raises Profile With Big-Time Football Hire
" There was much speculation Lashlee would get a head coaching job. His name even popped up briefly after Bob Diaco was fired."
DB being humble:
"Timing is everything," Benedict said. "There was an opportunity to visit with Rhett about our head coaching job. He went off and coached at the Sugar Bowl and we went on to hire Randy. We followed up about the OC job. "I know people are going to give me a lot of credit for this, but all I really did was hook Rhett and Randy up and they took care of the rest. I'm excited they found a connection and believe in each other."

Blades so that tells me that Rhett is HCIW if either Randy does well and leaves again retires or does not win and gets let go.

Only caveat is if they do well in a year or two would be some program offers Rhett an HC gig

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT