ADVERTISEMENT

Huskies To Play In 2015 Jimmy V Classic

I will most definitely be there. I have a bunch of buddies who went to UMD and went to the game at the Barclays last year and left with the bragging rights that time. They should be another good matchup and it's always great to return to the Mecca.

I just hope that UConn fans have a better showing than they did at the Barclays. I know it was pegged as a home away from home game for UMD but the lack of UConn support was a little shocking to me - I don't expect that to happen in MSG
This post was edited on 12/10 11:26 AM by Silk31

Originally posted by Silk31:
I just hope that UConn fans have a better showing than they did at the Barclays. I know it was pegged as a home away from home game for UMD but the lack of UConn support was a little shocking to me - I don't expect that to happen in MSG
The other side of the equation of the game at Barclays vs MD last year .was it was very poor scheduling by the AD.
Why schedule a hoops game in NYC the very same night as a home FB game vs. one of the best teams( Louisville)
playing in their last year in the AAC...it split up us diehards as to which game to go to. For me, as for most season ticket
holders for FB, it was an easy call to go to go to the Rent instead of blowing our FB Tix and buy more tix for hoops... And
for a bunch of others fans...it probably gave them a good reason to stay home so they could watch both games on TV.
I would have been to both if they weren't on the same night.

Agreed Blades, but I feel bad for any suckers who chose to prioritize a UConn football game over the season opener for UConn bball...that's just a no brainer

I was talking a big game of how UConn fans would outdraw UMD fans and we were not only out drawn but we were considerably out numbered which was unacceptable in my eyes

Originally posted by Silk31:
Agreed Blades, but I feel bad for any suckers who chose to prioritize a UConn football game over the season opener for UConn bball...that's just a no brainer
Not as much of a no-brainer for the average "in-state fan" as you think....All things being equal ( meaning having
an "Edsall years " type decent FB team) a home game vs a FB powerhouse like Ville would be the easy choice
instead of driving to NYC for one of 30 + hoop games that happen a year....The FB team played to 95-100%
capacity before PP destroyed it and gameday has become a culture with the tailgating,etc. So most fans who are
equal fans of both teams wouldn't necessarily share your view, at least in-State. Especially since FB averages
3 times the amount of fans than BB and it's only a 6-7 game in the fall thing. Plus we get a true BB home opener
anyway plus 18-20 games to catch the team in Hartford and Gampel during the year.

If it was a team like Kentucky or Duke it may have moved the bar but a middle of the road opponent like Maryland
isn't anything we don't get to see in CT and also at about 2-3 times less in cost if I remember correctly. The price
gouging of the suckers that goes on to see Uconn play in the NYC metro compared to what we pay in CT is another
reason to keep any rational fan home.
This post was edited on 12/10 4:21 PM by the Blades

Back in 1999 I attended the UConn-Duke game at MSG as part of the Coaches Against Cancer Classic. At that time it seemed Duke had more fans there than UConn did. Lots of Duke grads working in the city. A few years later Geno made the famous comment that Duke has as many grads waiting tables as any school does. This was back when UConn and Duke were the top two teams in women's ball when Duke had Alana Beard and UConn had Diana Taurasi and they were the two best players in the country.

Originally posted by KhalidShockedTheWorld:
At that time it seemed Duke had more fans there than UConn did. Lots of Duke grads working in the city.
Despite Geno's comments, maybe the average Duke fan can afford or enjoys the price gouging, more than
a Uconn fan, LOL!

I hear you Blades, the ticket prices weren't gouged by any means and it was the season opener, coming off a post season ban where our fan base should have been extra starved for meaningful bball games and not a football game where we were clearly going nowhere.

But hey to each his own. Regardless of the decision at hand for some fans, I still expected a way better turn out.

One last thing Silk, do you remember the prices for that MD game ? Because every time I've been sent mailings for tickets
to Uconn games in the NYC area they're always 3 times more than games in CT. This years Duke - Uconn for example
are $105 to sit in the upper deck, Tickets | Duke Blue Devils Men's Basketball vs. UConn I pay $ 30 for mine in the lower
level at the XL/Gampel. If that ain't gouging I don't know what is.

But I still go and take the punch to the head once in while to support the team. The year I really got burned in NYC is buying
the Coaches Vs. Cancer Classic back in 07-08. Uconn was supposed to play Kentucky in game one......the cost:
$520 for one night stay in Manhattan.... $40 a day for parking......and paying triple the price to see Uconn play Gardner-Webb
after they knocked out UK in Lexington........ priceless.

But on the opposite side... when it's NCAA tourney time like last year at MSG...( that comes once in a lifetime)...who can
blame Husky fans that want to pay $600 a ticket !
This post was edited on 12/10 4:28 PM by the Blades

Some buddies of mine paid $400 per ticket to see UConn play MSU in the Elite 8 last year but they said the atmosphere alone made it worth it. Another guy I know from law school who was a former college basketball player and also at that game said it was the best atmosphere of any basketball game he had been at in his life. Some tickets are worth that kind of money and I would probably pay that to see UConn in a big game but GTFOOH with some of the prices on these other games.

By the ways I paid $10 per ticket to see each of UConn's two crappy exhibition wins this year in person and I got exactly what I paid for, LOL.

Blades,

The tickets were $30 something a pop for mezzanine where I sat with a bunch of friends. We had gotten them directly through ticketmaster when they went on sale. Ticket prices are usually higher for games at MSG but the Barclays wasn't that inflated. I went to both MSG tourney games last year so I know all about ticket inflation (although thanks to Oz for helping hook me up for the Elite 8 game)

MSG is the draw and the reason for the increase in price, especially for events that feature more than one game where they can get off on charging you extra because you are getting admission to both events whether you even care enough to watch the other game or not

I guess the bottom line is if Uconn only has a consistent fan base of around 25,000-30,000 season tix holders combined for
both sports....probably thousands that are crossovers......it's a no-brainer not to schedule both sports on the same night and
expect a turn out in NYC. The AD only did something like it once this year but not with FB...Hoops at Gampel and Hockey at the XL on Feb 4th...and now some of us are stuck with paying for tix to both.
This post was edited on 12/10 4:53 PM by the Blades

Silkeeee that was great times last year in the garden bro :)

I will try and be at this one too next year!!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT