ADVERTISEMENT

Gilbert Status

KhalidShockedTheWorld

Gold Member
Mar 28, 2009
i read that Alterique's status will be "evaluated" in Hawaii where he will be examined by the doctor who performed his shoulder surgery. What does this mean? All that I have read on the internet suggests that a dislocated shoulder requires 12-16 weeks to fully heal. That suggests this could be a season ending injury for Alterique. It's a shame because he is a talented and promising player. He is clearly the best ballhandler on this roster and his presence would be missed, plus the missed chance at developing chemistry with his teammates. His loss could be very damaging. This sucks for him, the team and the fans.

Could he possibly red-shirt? Why isn't Durham red-shirting either?

At this point we could have 3 freshmen redshirting, Gilbert, Durham and Diarra. Leaving Vance Jackson and Christian Vital as the only 2 healthy freshmen at this time- and Vital is having back issues so he is no lock to be 100% in Maui. Suddenly the team is not so deep any more.

Not surprised...I guess KO will have to play a bigger line-up now..only 3 guards on the team..Having to use Purvis some as a back-up PG is down right scary..

Christian Vitale will be thrown to the wolves, starting in Maui.

I would press UConn because Adams has a high dribble and is turnover prone. We might see Vitale used at the point guard position a lot.

That's really great news although all internet research I conducted suggested that this is an injury that puts an athlete out 12-16 weeks usually. If he is cleared great but I saw tape of both of shoulder injuries, in the McDonald's AA game and at LMU, and both times it did not look like the contact was severe, so I wonder about the shoulder and his susceptability to further injury is a concern. UConn does need him in a big way and I am sure he wants to play even if he is not 100% but they gotta be careful here with this kid.

shoulder comes out that easy it would seem irresponsible to play a couple days later.

I'm not a dr though so I have no idea what I'm talking about

Man right after he suffered another shoulder injury during the Jordan Brand Classic I was worried that he would re-injure it at some point in college. I just didn't foresee it happening almost right away.

Tough blow for Rique and our team, he was one of the couple of players who had a pulse this season. Hopefully this shoulder stuff won't haunt him for the rest of his career

I heard up to 3 months after doctor evaluated him in Hawaii. Same doc that performed earlier surgery on him.

That would be great if he really is ok and no surgery. I didn't see the injury but heard he was in bad pain and on the floor for a while.

Ozzie,

The injury occurred on a loose ball scramble on the floor and it appeared Gilbert's shoulder was incidentally contacted by the weight of a diving LMU player in the scramble, but it did not appear to me either in real time or on the replays to show a severe direct contact with his shoulder. I also saw the original injury at the McD's AA game or Jordan Brand game (can't recall which) and there did not appear to be significant contact, in fact Gilbert was trying to swipe the ball away from a big man and initiated the contact himself. This is what worries me a bit.

I heard up to 3 months after doctor evaluated him in Hawaii. Same doc that performed earlier surgery on him.

That would be great if he really is ok and no surgery. I didn't see the injury but heard he was in bad pain and on the floor for a while.
I'm just confused as to why KO would bother saying what he did to the press if he heard 3 months.

I'm just confused as to why KO would bother saying what he did to the press if he heard 3 months.

To keep the opposing coaches guessing as to what players and lineups UConn will be using.

When it comes to injuries coach's only responsibility is the health of the player. KO has stated several times that he would never compromise the health and career of a player.

When Alterique got hurt and the trainers and coach were tending to him you could clearly see the sheer genuine care KO had for AGs health. KO looked more like a father out there than anything else. When he says UConn Love he means it.

Teams always play coy with the status of injured players in order to force the opponent to prepare for the possibility of using a player who is claimed to be injured. The NFL enacted some new rules regarding injury reports on players and the NHL also has rules on injury reports. In college you frequently hear "game time decision" on the status of the player in order that the other team doesn't sit back and prepare for him not playing. Frankly I would be surprised if we see Gilbert on the court before the AAC tournament in March.

What were the rumors about Alterique?
Let me guess, someone on TOS...started a transfer rumor if he sits out a year ??? Anyway... tough to finish the season with 8 players + 2 walk-ons.....
Maybe Ozzie can see if he can get Hamidou to switch eastern CT basketball courts for the next semester....;)

Last edited:
Having had three shoulder operations myself and getting back to basketball after each of them my take on his recovery period would be 6 to 9 months allowing him to run drills and about a year to be 100%. I suspect he needs a shoulder reconstruction to tighten the muscles to hold the shoulder in place. Due to his age I would guess he would recovery faster than average. I just hope he has it done at the UCONN health center, they have some of the best shoulder surgeons around.

It's all good.... this just makes us better and deeper next year! Have to come back stronger then!!

Also Larrier tore his acl. He is out for year
SMH....Guess those Maui basketball Gods ain't shining on Uconn like the last time we were their...." leadership and followership
is a key element in hoops " ( Tom Izzo)....I hope to see Jalen evolving in that roll and more defined roles for the others....
does KO have any other choice now ?

Reactions: Ozzie3178
Jalen is our leader and will be next year. He is evolving into that this year which is a great sign.

Reactions: tcf_15
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT