ADVERTISEMENT

Geno Auriemma Not Pleased With NCAA's Denial of Evina Westbrook's Transfer Waiver

Remember what I just posted in the other thread ----- I'll do it again :

What you posted proves my point regarding the NCAA, Sheppard never left after the coaching change and played after it for Nebraska, but still got an immediate waiver to Notre Dame a year later . Even though she decided to stick with Nebraska ( basically got recruited again and played an entire season, "soldier on") with the new coach:
" Three weeks later, Yori resigned amid a lengthy investigation into her treatment of players and staff members. Romeo transferred out, citing the “immaturity” of her teammates. Two recruits backed out after signing. Shepard chose to stay after Nebraska hired Williams, a former NU player who was coaching at South Dakota. "
Sid Wilson on the other hand never played a minute for St. John's spent a minute on their campus but they made him sit a year....it's all the apples and oranges of the NCAA and to call them fair and consistent is a mockery. Sheppard's case seems very different than Westbrook because like you say, Evie left TN right after the coaching change. ... so according to you she has a better case than Sheppard so it's seems like an NCAA waiver is a no brainer for Evie.... but let us see.

" If what UConn claimed in a 100-page report to the NCAA is actually true of the culture Westbrook endured, and if the NCAA sees it as no big deal, that is a serious problem. It’s scary, actually............The case is headed to an appeal that will be heard by the Division I Committee for Legislative Relief, made up of seven representatives from Division I schools or conferences. What’s encouraging is that the appeal will be filed Tuesday and ruled on in about a week. What’s ridiculous is that final resolution can be reached in such a quick turnaround after an initial process plays out over months. "

I just hope a fresh set of eyes on the appeal will yield a different result. Does anyone know what the success rate is on appeals of denials of the transfer waiver?

They need more than a new set of eyes according to Geno:

“We are extremely disappointed — quite frankly, stunned — in this outcome, ( TENN's/ Uros Plavsic was denied after transferring from Arizona St.) and feel strongly that very compelling facts support clearance for immediate eligibility,” Vols athletic director Phillip Fulmer said in a statement. “We are at a loss as to how this decision aligns with a mission of prioritizing the well-being of student-athletes, and we are struggling to provide an explanation to a deserving young man who stands to lose a year of eligibility.” The irony wasn’t lost on Auriemma.

“I’m glad to see Phil and I agree that everything should be done for the welfare of the student-athlete,” Auriemma said. “And I think Phil supports that. Now we just need him to contact the NCAA, ‘You know, I support it.’ And then I’m sure there’ll be a different outcome with (Westbrook’s) appeal.

Last edited:
I will not hold my breath but at least there is an appeal.....I too would like to know if an appeal ever works?

So your saying there's a chance......
Nope not a chance and Geno continues to blast the NCAA..... and adds: “This was a special situation,” Auriemma said after UConn’s game against Vanderbilt. “That’s why we asked [the NCAA], that’s why we went as far as we did. ... And it’s got nothing to do with, it would make our team better. This team needs a lot more than Evina Westbrook to get better, trust me. It’s not about that......“Think about this: A kid’s in an environment that’s not necessarily healthy, an environment that, if you knew what the environment was, which I can’t say, you would not want your kid in that environment,” he said. “And the athletic director there knows it, but he’s not going to support her leaving,"

The result of this decision is that UConn will play a little short at point guard because if anything happens to Dangerfield all you really have is Bent or, possibly, Marukat, although Marukat hasn’t shown that she has a good enough handle to play meaningful minutes at PG. Bent is alarmingly TO prone, so they will play Dangerfield as much as possible and hope for the best.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT