ADVERTISEMENT

Frontcourt Revisited

KhalidShockedTheWorld

Gold Member
Mar 28, 2009
The recruitment of Shonn Miller changes the whole dynamic of the frontcourt. With Nolan starting for the slow-developing Facey at the end of last year at the 4, both players are now relegated to coming off the bench. However I see Enoch having the chance to snatch playing time away from Nolan and Facey at the 4 and at the 5, because he is bigger and stronger than both guys, and brings the rebounding that Facey brings with more offense. Unknown is Enoch's defense, but we know that Miller is a standout defensive player and will be a great upgrade at the 4.

What's more intriguing is that there is now sufficient depth and experience to toy around with bigger, glass crashing lineups with Miller being played at the 3, Enoch/Facey at 4 and Brimah/Nolan at 5. Even with Hamilton at the 3 and Miller at the 4, you will have 2 guys who can really crash the boards and are good for at least 8 a game each.

Enoch can be used at the 5 when Brimah gets in foul trouble as he is prone to do, and at least provide a good rebounding body.

Miller will be a stretch 4 and play some 3 when UCONN goes large. I would still like to see a shooter in this class or another ball handler.

uconnbill,

I agree. I think Miller will start at the 4 and in most configurations he will team with Hamilton at the 3, thus forming a pair of hellacious defensive rebounders, which somewhat offsets Brimah's disappointing rebounding. Brimah might also be able to get away with being out of position and allowing O-boards when he goes for blocked shots with these two rebounding pit bulls around to clean up after him. But there are plenty of options and they are all good options.

without seeing Miller, you would think he was a bulky undersized 4 coming from the Ivy league, but the reports are he is an explosive athlete with 3pt range, although sometimes he falls in love too much with the perimeter shot. Maybe he's a K Free?

I definitely thinks he starts and it gives Enoch a year to learn and grow. Facey can play, he just needs more confidence and experience. And as limited as Nolan is, he gives you a Big that can guard versatile offensive players.

The year will come down to how ready Adams is and if Purvis learns how to be efficient and consistent. If those two things happen, I can see another final four with a chance at #5. We will be an experienced team like Wisconsin with a potential superstar in Hamilton.

CaNolee,

I also thought of the comparison of Freeman (and of Johnnie Selvie) with Miller. The comparison is mainly because as you pointed out, all 3 are/were undersized 4s with toughness who could rebound. Miller seems to be a better athlete and inside scorer, or has the potential to be, than Freeman and Selvie (although Selvie had some explosive hops, Miller's dunks are on another level). Freeman and Selvie could not shoot a lick from beyond 15 feet, and while Miller appears to have more of an outside shot than Freeman and Selvie did, 27% from the 3 point arc is very below average 3 point marksmanship, and Miller's close to 4 attempts per game from the 3 point stripe will need to be decreased.

Freeman, Selvie, Jeff Adrien, and Miller all have in common plus rebounding toughness for their size. Miller seems to be a slightly more explosive athlete and (potentially) could deliver better inside scoring than his aforementioned predecessors.

I agree with you on the potential of this team. I think they will not be rated preseason top 25 and will come into the season flying below the radar. That might change if they win the Battle of the Atlantis, and looking at that field, I think UConn and Gonzaga are the teams to beat in that tournament.

This post was edited on 4/20 9:26 AM by KhalidShockedTheWorld

One other thing about the Freeman comparison: since Freeman is on the coaching staff, Miller has a very good guy to learn from. The reason being that Freeman never tried to be a player he wasn't. He didn't try and shoot 3s. He was a total dirty work kind of player. In the 1999 NCAA tournament, UConn was severely challenged in the elite 8 game by the then up and coming Gonzaga team. UConn had all kinds of problems defending Gonzaga that game, but the reason they outlasted Gonzaga is that in the final 5 minutes Freeman and Voskuhl crashed the boards with great intensity. After the game the Gonzaga players were quoted as saying UConn really crashed the boards hard at the end and that was the difference in the game. Freeman understood his role on the team and what he needs to do is help Miller understand his role in the offense and the defense. Miller could not have a better teacher of "dirtywork at the 4 position and how it is done on the elite level"

Khaild, if he is another Johnny Selvie, I'll become a Duke fan
3dgrin.r191677.gif
OK, that will never happen, but Selvie was not my cup of tea. He could have Jordan and Lebron open for a dunk and he was still going to put up a shot. Did he ever have an assist while at UConn? if yes, it was probably by accident.

I guess the question on Miller is he coming to Uconn to be developed for the next level or to help win a championship? I'm hoping it's both. It sounds like he has pro athleticism. But at 6'7, that means he's a small forward. The Yale coach thinks he's better around the bucket offensively as a 4.

CaNolee,

Shonn Miller had 30 assists last year, an average of 1.0 per game. By contrast Selvie had 14 assists in the 2001-02 season, an average of 0.4 per game. Neither one will be threatening Larry Bird for assists per game by a forward.

I would note that Selvie averaged 11.4 points and 6 boards a game, very respectable totals and we will likely be happy if Miller puts up those numbers or slightly better.

I think Miller is likely undersized for the NBA but could have a pro future in Euroball, like Niels Giffey.

This post was edited on 4/20 1:35 PM by KhalidShockedTheWorld

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT