ADVERTISEMENT

Former Huskies still in CBB

the Blades

Gold Member
Jan 20, 2003
Here's a look:

Josh has taken over a starting role in the last 3 games for Houston (11-2) and averaged 13 pts/ 6 rebs in 21 mpg in the last 8.

Adams has started every game for GW and averaging 11.1 pts, though he still is a bad shooter from 3.

Buzz had been starting Javonte until last game for his 9-2 team, even though he gives them next to nothing in 10mpg

Also a blast from the past for the 24 year old, who somehow is at his 4th school and in his 6th year of CBB, now a starter at ECU avg 11pts/ 6 reb :

Although he never actually played at UConn James Akinjo is a starting guard for #1 Baylor and playing extremely well. The guy whom Akinjo committed with, Emmitt Mathews Junior, is now on his 3rd school having transferred from West Virginia to Washington where he is averaging 10 points per game. Matthews was advertised as a great shooter coming out of high school, but has been a career 27% 3 point shooter in college (very bad).

Regarding Josh Carlton and Houston, I just saw Houston lost their leading scorer Sasser for the season. He is a high volume 3 point shooter and the Houston team is shooting 27% from 3 when Sasser's stats are removed. They also lost another starter. So it's likely a very good situation for Josh now as far as playing time and scoring opportunities.

Although he never actually played at UConn James Akinjo is a starting guard for #1 Baylor and playing extremely well. The guy whom Akinjo committed with, Emmitt Mathews Junior, is now on his 3rd school having transferred from West Virginia to Washington where he is averaging 10 points per game. Matthews was advertised as a great shooter coming out of high school, but has been a career 27% 3 point shooter in college (very bad).
Yeah they weren't ever Uconn players. Mathews is having a career year after ave. about 6 ppg in 3 years at WVU, and like you said still can't shoot at 25% on 3's They go along with that big who had committed to KO but ended up at Stanford and turned out to be a dud, he's in his 4th year, with career #'s at 2.5ppg/ 2.7 rbg/ 50% FT.

Last edited:
Regarding Josh Carlton and Houston, I just saw Houston lost their leading scorer Sasser for the season. He is a high volume 3 point shooter and the Houston team is shooting 27% from 3 when Sasser's stats are removed. They also lost another starter. So it's likely a very good situation for Josh now as far as playing time and scoring opportunities.
yep, another double digit scorer, but both are guards. Josh took the starting spot from Arkansas transfer Reggie Chaney, a big, who is still active.

Last edited:
Ollie's recruits were mostly terrible, although a couple of them were very highly rated. In particular Alterique Gilbert and Makai Ashton Langford. These guys were very very highly touted and neither one of them could play. Gilbert had a low basketball IQ and was a horrible shooter. Another weak recruit was Rakim Lubin. Remember him? And his transfer recruits were just as bad. The two that stand out in my mind are Eric Cobb and David Onuorah.

There was one other kid Ollie brought in from a smaller school, early in his tenure. Can't recall his name but he played at Western Kentucky or somewhere like that. I never saw a kid who got his shot blocked as much as that kid. He didn't have any hops and wasn't athletic but every time he took it to the hole his shot was blocked, usually emphatically. I started to feel sorry for him because it had to be disheartening. If UConn kept stats on getting one's shot blocked per attempt, he would have the highest rate in school history. He eventually didn't play much and came in with the walk ins which was appropriate for his level of talent.

I also remember some kid who transferred from U of Oregon and all he could do was dunk. He could do an uncontested dunk but had no other basketball skills and was unplayable.

Last edited:
His options were to stay and come off the bench or leave and play elsewhere with a chance to start. He now has that chance at Houston.

By the way there is a funny reply asking if he is eligible for AAC most improved player award a second time. I don't know if there is a limit on winning that award once. But to have a 2 time winner would be interesting.

Josh Carlton has 18 points and 8 rebounds at the half against USF tonight. Winning the AAC Most Improved Player a Second time is in play!

Vance came in with the Rip Hamilton class it seems. and is only at his 4th school? 😂

happy for Josh(another senior citizen) and BA having solid years.

Reactions: the Blades
Josh finished game last night with career high 30 points and 11 boards, in just 26 minutes and on 11-16 FG shooting. He is looking at most improved player in AAC- again!

Reactions: the Blades
Watched the Doc on PG county hoop in Maryland. Durant produced it.

very good watch on the area & Dematha(Josh and Hawkins), etc…

Here's an interesting sequence with Vance down at ECU....and I might as well show what happened at the end. For ECU it's like they won an NCAA game and for Penny, I guess the guy can recruit, but it's looking more & more like he sucks as a coach.
Vance ties it.....

Then this happens...

Last edited:
Doesn't Memphis have 2 guys who are top 10 recruits? Actually they have managed to go 9-7 with the best recruiting class in the nation:
True and remember when Uconn was in the running for this guy ? All he has done from leaving as an All-ACC FR with VA Tech is get worse. Since Memphis won the recruiting battle he went from 15.5 pts (at Va tech) to 13.1 as a soph now down to 9.1, for Penny's 9-7 team.

That Memphis is having trouble winning in the AAC, a league they should be dominating, should be very concerning to Memphis fans. This team can still easily win the AAC Tournament, but if that does not happen, and they end up in the NIT again (which they won last year), I don't think that fans, media and the AD will be too happy.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT