ADVERTISEMENT

Enoch transferring

Status
Not open for further replies.
I got zero problems with Oz he can say what he wants but anyone who thinks the program didn't jump light years back is fooling themselves.

JC didn't hire KO because he was a great basketball mind & knew how to coach. He hired him because he believed he was a character guy who could learn to coach. The guys he hired to teach him were KH & GM but his ego apparently was not accounted for.

People think this guy who has 5 years experience knows how to coach a top team?

Lol. I was buying in when he said love loyalty family & trust the process but his actions show that he actually thinks he can coach and the rest of that is dependent on availability.

This thing is officially a dumpster fire with an egomaniac holding the book of matches

Ok so I know right now feels like a tense and anxious time for UConn fans right now. There is a lot of strong emotions and some negativity. The emotions stem from the fact that many of us are passionate fans of the program, and thats great.

But lets take a step back and look at whats been put out there so far and view whats been said in the context of what we knew from 5 years of KO at the helm of the program:

1) Ollie's relationship with the players: Everything we have known before this past few days indicate Ollie is a players' coach and players and recruits love him because he's a genuine guy who cares about the kids beyond just the basketball court. So any insinuation that players have lost faith in Ollie seems hard to believe.

A poster stated he saw JA like a tweet about staff failing to develop big men at UConn, but I just checked Jalen's "likes" on his twitter account and there was no such thing. He could have removed it so I am not saying the poster is lying, but maybe it was a different twitter handle that liked the tweet. Don't know. Maybe it was geared towards Glenn Miller and hence the pressure to find another big man coach.

But anything contradicting the notion that players love Ollie is hard to believe.

2) Glenn Miller: We all know that Oz is the most connected poster on any UConn forum to the coaching staff and program. His information is very valuable and very much appreciated by the UConn faithful. When he says Glenn Miller has been relieved of his duties I don't doubt it at all. However Glenn has not been released as of yet. I do not think Ollie would just fire Glenn.

I can see why it would make sense for all parties including Glenn to move on to different paths. I think Glenn is a great assistant coach who has a lot of experience & knowledge and he bleeds blue. He is a native of CT, played for UConn as well as Calhoun at Northeastern. I think he would be a great addition on any coaching staff.

However, our bigs development has been a weakness of sorts, but its unfair to put all the blame on him. He was the lead recruiter when it came to Hamidou and while the blame can't be pinned on Glenn losing Hamidou while believing he was in our bag was not a good look. It was clear Hamidou was intending to go to UK for a while, because Bamba said Hamdiou was recruiting him to go to UK way before he even committed to UK. So it was a clear failure of intelligence.

Steve Enoch's feeling of not having developed as much as he and his father hoped may have started the discussions of whether it is time to move on for Glenn.

One thing is for sure, KO is extremely loyal, and that was often seen as his biggest weakness. He wouldn't sub out players when they made mistakes and he kept giving Rodney and Brimah chances to prove themselves, so I am very confident that KO will not just leave Glenn hanging but instead would help land at some other program on his feet.

3) Steve Enoch: Saying the news of him asking for his release was shocking is an understatement. I think he has all the tools to be a great big. KO has said he has the ability to be one of the best offensive big men to come through UConn (now that is some very high praise). I mean you see his talent flash before your eyes. The guy ended the season with 17 straight free throws made, that says a lot about the ability of a 6'11 man child of a center.

I know a lot of good programs will be on him, and I wouldn't be surprised if other programs were already reaching out to him (or more likely his parents) even before the season ended. Its a brutal cut throat world out there when it comes to recruiting and poaching players from other teams. I think KO is realizing that more and more as he gains experience as a head coach, especially after the Hamidou failure.

I still have hope though that Steve will take the time to really consider his options and may opt to come back to UConn, if a new big men coach is selected. The starting 5 spot is his to lose, and I'm sure KO will reach out to him again.

4) KO & clubbing: I can't believe this is even a talking point. Andersonfro has generally been a very good poster, so I am shocked to hear this kind of accusation coming from him. Its hard to believe KO being a heavy drinker and a constant presence at clubs. I know by saying this there are a lot of KO haters who will latch onto this because of their dislike for KO. But here are some facts, KO is in tip top shape physically. Even at his age he can outrun and prob outplay some of the players on his team. When KO was a player at UConn he was known to have avoided drinking in general, and settled down with his wife to be (now ex-wife) fairly quickly. When he was at OKC Durant said himself while other players would be out enjoying themselves KO would be going to church. Every religious recruit has raved about KO. So this accusation about him hitting up clubs and being a drinker doesn't match the facts we all know about KO. So lets just snuff this rumor before it starts spreading.

5) Finally, there is nothing wrong with having different view points. Debate can be healthy, but lets all be respectful of one another. No need for the extracurricular vocabulary or adjectives. Yes there seems to be ominous clouds over the program right now but I very much trust KO to lead us out of this. He has won a ship before, and he's a great role model, and I am confident he will lead us to the promise land again.

TIME !!!! ...give it Time & we shall see how this plays out....maybe it's all fake news, LOL!....who's down to buy season tix next year ?

PS: kind of strange all this panic came out right after the Courant's MBB attendance woes story !

I'm not basing KO's extracurriculars on 2nd hand information, I cross with him and although im sure when he was married he did the quiet thing he's not married anymore.

I don't have a problem with that & I don't think anyone else should either. Normal behavior as it were. I never saw him sloppy I'm not trying to say anything like that.

I said within the context of Oz suggesting KO is firing people for being lazy that while KO is out on the town during the season his supposedly lazy assistant was working kids out, giving tours of the facility, writing on game tape.

Since Oz knows all this maybe he shouldn't try dragging people through the mud trying to make this turd look polished then there would have been no cause to bring it up.

Lmao I love when nerds talk hoops and how they know how a program should be run.... I haven't LOL'd as hard in a while!!

What bills.... Nerd??

Good question, actually. According to the attendance I may want to rethink my statement.

Do you think the nerds will be back to paying the bills next season now that Kevin has identified the assistants who made his offense look like a nerd put it together?

Those aren't nerds... they aren't dumb ass non knowing rivals board posters. Simply loyal fans of school and program!

Just like the networks that put us on tv. They pay the bills for our product and brand. Ok nerd.... not irrelevant posers like you!!

Last edited:
Ok you're not even speaking English at this point I'm wasting my time.

You know what, I'm irritated we have a cherry coach in charge of what 2 years ago I'd have said was the best basketball program in the country.

I'm done arguing with you. Kevin I'm sure is doing the right thing

I am a nerd and proud of it! I actually wasn't the best athlete but was an academic stud in high school, at UConn and in law school (made law review)! I am a stud nerd dude! Got the law school awards to prove it!

Reactions: andersonfro

So Enoch leaving ain't officia. So as I mentioned in my earlier post I can see Enoch not leaving after all. I have confidence in KO to reel him back in.

I also think Enoch will wait to see who the next big man coach will be.

He is gone Afghusky.... don't listen to whoever that tweeter is

Dang... I really liked Enoch's potential and the fact he grew up as a UConn fan. Wish him and his family nothing but the best!

Juwan's time to shine! I know he's not a center but he's 6'11, athletic baller!

We will see what kind of late additions we can get over the off season but a lineup of:

1. Alterique
2. Jalen
3. Vance
4. Larrier
5. Juwan

Is a highly skilled offensive group. Haven't had that in a while.

Also thanks for keeping us in the loop Oz!

Reactions: Ozzie3178
One thing as you all know I dont do is..... LIE!!
Especially with regards to our program!!
I hear that....we hear it first from our "SCI" and they even quote your stuff on TOS, you should be selling memberships, LOL!

This stuff is almost mirroring Diaco after the FB season, difference was BD wouldn't make any changes..and then the AD brought in Edsall and Auburn's top rated asst.....
So are we finally gonna get a big mans coach...or maybe they can hire World Wide Wes ...;)

Guards can win titles and we have a couple real good ones coming back. The freshman coming in is for real. Durham I think has real potential.

As for Enoch......he was one year too early. What I mean by that is that this last year should have been his year as the starter to get better. His dad is right in that minutes on the court mean more than practice. Briham had the court time but it would have been nice to have seen Enoch get the minutes on a 1000% wasted season.

Enoch made very little progress with just practice time and I wouldnt put it past Ollie to have seen laziness (which he looked to be) as a key reason he didnt play much. Enoch did not have a high motor which Ollie demands.......am I off base thinking this ?

I agree that Enoch did not appear to consistently play hard and sometimes it looked like he was asleep out there and not ready for passes into the post and on defense not ready for or very very late in reacting to plays as they developed. He seemed to be often one second behind plays with his attention span. I do agree with Doninick's point that at a certain point the season was lost and it made sense to play him more and even start him just to see what you have for next year.

The guy is a bit of a mystery to me. I thought he would be much better. I thought the same about Souleymane Wane. Wane stayed for 4 years and took baby steps of improvement every year but was a career bench player. Enoch's improvement was much slower than Wane even.

We've blamed every big man for not living up to expectations since KO became HC.

At some point it's the system not taking advantage of the strength of the guys the coach recruited.

Maybe going small is the answer but teams who experience success doing it recruit better overall

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT