ADVERTISEMENT

Diaco Press Conference: 9/28

BYU beat the snot out of us last year.

The Michigan game is not even watchable for the players. Because even if they had a particular plan. After roughly 20 minutes of football they were down by four scores, so all things go out the window then.

No one has done what BYU has done. On the road against Nebraska, UCLA, now Michigan... They've been awesome.

BYU: They're big physical at all positions. Offensive line is giant, defensive line is giant, wide receivers are gigantic. Backs are 225 pounds.

We'll continue to give the ball to the player that matches what we want to do against a given team.

On Shirreffs running: When the guys are open, I'd like him to throw the ball to open guys.

If he runs and gets a first down I'm happy, if he runs when and there was someone open downfield I'm not.

He'd be the first to tell you he dropped his eyes a little soon.

But we're not trying to manage that or avoid physical harm (paraphrasing)

On freshman wide receivers: the four freshman are going to be awesome. There's a lot of guys that you don't see, that are going to be special.

Tommy Hopkins: big, tough, wants to work at it, quietly goes about his business. Got a pretty good football intelligence, a good feel.

Not many people have that, the timing and leverage and feel.

Ron Johnson, what happened mostly is that the game became about playing catch up. That was the biggest tilt in participation. Until that point, Arkeel was the starter. There are a few other factors... none bigger than that part of the game.

Has it been disruptive to overall development to play two triple options in first four weeks?

Yes.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT