ADVERTISEMENT

Dan Hurley's new 6 year deal !

You mean like some guy who should've never been more than an assistant that we know ? :rolleyes:

That's awesome! I hope he coaches at UConn 25 plus years like Jim Calhoun and matches Calhoun's win total.

I think Danny Hurley is pretty honest and a straight shooter with the media and when asked about NBA and pro jobs in the past, he has hinted that his wife is very territorial, likes living in CT/Northeast and wouldn't allow it. I think he likes coaching UConn and realizes this is the one northeast job where the history, tradition, fan base and institutional support he gets, not to mention the basketball league they are in now, means the ability to recruit well and compete for national championships every year, much like Geno has been doing the past 30 years.

Well playing in a hoops league that doesn't even pay Hurley's new salary alone, not to mention Geno's, HC's of other sports, assistants, etc etc etc, isn't exactly a plan for financial survival. But I agree with the rest of the stuff about the job. ....#Uconn.needs.Big12.more.than.ever
realizes this is the one northeast job where the history, tradition, fan base and institutional support he gets, not to mention the basketball league they are in now, means the ability to recruit well and compete for national championships every year

Last edited:
Whether the Big East pays its schools enough money is separate and apart from the fact that last year it was a top 2 basketball league in the country and actually had the best record in the NCAA Tournament of any conference in terms of wins and win-loss record. Last year the Big 12 was the other member of the top 2.

Blades one thing I would caution is that many of your posts are premised on the assumption that Big 12 invite means more money. Maybe short term but when the smoke clears we don't know if 3 years from now whatever the new Big 12 is will not disintegrate or lose its TV deals. As you yourself noted CR is a big Wild Wild West and in the Wild Wild West the players, even big players get shot and die. Ask Billy the Kid and Wild Bill Hickock. Ask the Clanton Gang.

Whether the Big East pays its schools enough money is separate and apart from the fact that last year it was a top 2 basketball league in the country

Blades one thing I would caution is that many of your posts are premised on the assumption that Big 12 invite means more money. .
That's why you have TV contracts and grant of rights, but it's not my posts or assumptions, it's just common sense and facts. OH and who had the last 2 BB National Champions before last year ? The Big 12, Kansas and Baylor.... and they did have TCU in the National FB Champion$hip last year. So let's be real.... the BIG 12 (TV contract until 2031) and the Big East ($4-5mil a year) will never be in the same universe money wise. BTW who's was the number #1 BB conference last year ? Big East was #4. (PS you take away Uconn's 6-0 record in the tourney and how good was the BE ?)

SO if more movement does take place you might want to be valued as a P-5 as far as TV partners are concerned. ( though my premise has been it's not my money and BE/ Indy FB is fine for me...until it isn't)

Last edited:
Reactions: FastMJ
The uncle of baseball coach Jim Penders, with his Uconn shout out......Tom the former Huskie played both basketball and baseball before becoming the head basketball coach at Texas, Houston, URI, GW among others, with 649 wins over 4 decades finishing in 2010 with Houston.

The turnaround after the mid season slump, the adjustment of Andre Jackson's Role in offense, and the margins of victory in the NCAA tournament were all impressive accomplishments. On another but related note, the coaching talent in the Big East right now might be the best in league history including the late 1980s when a bunch of Hall of Famers roamed the sidelines. It's not an easy league. UConn went 13-7 in the league and their only losses all year were to Big East teams! Including the one postseason loss to Marquette. UConn stomped the NCAA tourney but didn't win the Big East regular season or conference. Hurley still has one piece of the hardware he needs on his trophy case.

On another but related note, the coaching talent in the Big East right now might be the best in league history including the late 1980s when a bunch of Hall of Famers roamed the sidelines.
Yep, the original Big East was built off the brands of those "name coaches" as much as the players they brought in.... Seems like it's heading that way again with Hurley, Miller, Pitino, Mcdermott, Matta, etc.

Seems like it's heading that way again with Hurley, Miller, Pitino, Mcdermott, Matta, etc.
I would certainly add Cooley and Smart to that group. All 7 are proven, long tenured, very successful high D-1 coaches.

It made me feel sorry for Kim English, a young first year coach at Providence. What a gauntlet of experienced coaches he will have to match up against! I hope PC can show some patience with the young man.

What's interesting is that the experienced coaches in the league all know what the others like to do, and how to stop it. We saw that in UConn's games last year vs. Miller and Xavier. Smart and Marquette, and Creighton and McDermott, who has been a thorn in Hurley's side, though UConn and Creighton have played some wildly entertaining games the last few years. And it has also been true with Cooley, against whose teams UConn has almost consistently had miserable offensive performances against (very similar to Sampson and Houston when UConn was in AAC and shot 30% against Houston one game the year they won the NCAA tournament with 3 guys who shot 40% on 3s in the starting lineup). Cooley, like Sampson, is an excellent defensive coach. I remember the game at PC 2 years ago, that was the worst I had seen UConn play that whole season, I had taped that game and was it awful to watch. It made me sick! I can still remember feeling sick watching that game.

Last edited:
I would certainly add Cooley and Smart to that group. All 7 are proven, long tenured, very successful high D-1 coaches.
100% , just went with quick thoughts and an etc.....but yeah Shaka.... Cooley (one sweet 16 his entire career) is a poser to me so far and a still TBD

Career Records of Big East Coaches, as NCAA coaches:

711-290 Rick Pitino
580-345 Greg McDermott
453-172 Thad Matta
449-166 Sean Miller
334-222 Eddie Cooley
320-162 Shaka Smart
255-160 Dan Hurley
81-73 Shaheen Holloway
34-29 Kim English
33-33 Kyle Neptune
27-51 Tony Stubblefield

Dan Hurley's won loss record comes with an asterisk since he has been asked to rebuild 3 different programs and had to take it on the chin early in his tenure at each, taking losses from rosters not of his own construction. Now he has his own team and his own guys. From this point forward we will likely see his winning % go way up like Geno's did after his first few years.

Geno's only losing season at UConn in 40 years was his first:

12-15 1985-86
14-13 1986-87
17-11 1987-88
24-6 1988-89
25-6 1989-90
29-5 1990-91

The rest is kind of history.

Last edited:
Rick Pitino...Greg McDermott....Thad Matta ...Sean Miller....Shaka Smart...Dan Hurley
These 6 are the only ones to get to at least an Elite Eight, McDermott ( I thought he did better when his son played for him) and DH this year.

As GM said- “Obviously, he’s very well-respected in our league,” McDermott said. “He’s a Big East guy. I think he loves the league, but certainly in that coaches’ room, everyone respects him and what he’s done. And now, his voice is being heard more than others.”

Last edited:
I do not believe you will find another conference in the country where 6 coaches have been to an Elite 8, and 7 to a Sweet 16.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT