ADVERTISEMENT

coppin state thread

Dominicfrank

Aug 28, 2004
Wow, they really do suck!

so does Nolan, he can't look good against and empty rim or this pathetic coppin state. Cut him now.

6 seconds to get the ball in bounds against this high school team. Pathetic.

we got out hustled for about 5 mins there, unacceptable.

wide open threes and coppin state getting close to bringing this back to 10point game. Unacceptable.

Purvis doesn't want to even touch the ball.

Nolan sucks and more wide open there's and now a foul shooting a three.

uconn just isn't good.

if losing to Yale and Texas was rock bottom what will Ollie say this is. I warned this team was capable of losing to a true horrible coppin state team.

how is this team this fing bad? Brimah is pitiful.....and he's out third best player. Boat and Hamilton can't get their own shots against a true clown team.

UConn at half has 10 turnovers against a team that does not defend at all, and has yielded 8 3 pointers to a team that has not made them.

The ballhandling on this team isn't good. Every time Purvis drives in halfcourt, he gets stripped. We have a very weak ballhandling team which cannot be denied any longer.

The silver lining to this pathetic display is that Ollie isnt going to NBA anytime soon. Also, Hamilton might not leave either. Bad news is that we lose our only good player in Boat. We need Stone so bad I cant even imagine a team being .500 without him.

Someone mentioned earlier on one of the other threads that this team shows us that our recruiting has been very subpar and I believe it. Facey is a softy, Samuels is all over the place adn just not talented, Purvis is all athlete and no talent, Brimah is all heart and no talent, Hamilton is legit, Boat is legit but clearly not a leader in any way under the sun, Nolan could make my DII college Midwestern State, Omar is a headcase, Lubin is a major ?, Cassell is nothing.......

Ollie needs to be heavily criticized and Bazz, Daniels, Giff need to be praised MORE.

I am really surprised at how poorly UConn has played this year this game included. It's very disappointing to say the least.

There are at least 2 guards on Coppin State I would replace Samuels with and maybe even Purvis.

I hope Brimah gets 40.

I would take literally any player on Coppin State over Nolan.

Last thought. Omar needs to get of the Fing bench and play, hes over there jumping around with clown Nolan.......enough already kid, play or transfer.

Hamilton should be installed as the point guard. He is the only guy on the team that consistently finds open teammates. His play is surprisingly unselfish and Briimah should buy him dinner as suggested by the announcers as he is getting totally uncontested buckets based on Danny H finding him. Coppin State has zero rim protection. Their rim is nude.

Nolan: Serious question. Has anyone in recent memory been this bad as a Junior?

Lets be even more serious, Brimah is a sophomore and has been playing BBall for like 4-5 years and scored 40 ! Nolan cant score against them.

Here is a pop quiz: Here are two numbers, which one is his total points over the past 5 games and which one is fouls?

This post was edited on 12/14 9:15 PM by Dominicfrank

I had some hopes for Nolan as a freshman. He came into games with excitement. Blocked a shot. Made a garabage layup. He really is one of the more perplexing players we have ever had. He's played lots of minutes. It's not like this is Antric Klaiber who never really got off the pine. He started every game of the NCAA tournament last year. Now he get's blocked by everyone.

Originally posted by northdakotahusky:
I had some hopes for Nolan as a freshman. He came into games with excitement. Blocked a shot. Made a garabage layup. He really is one of the more perplexing players we have ever had. He's played lots of minutes. It's not like this is Antric Klaiber who never really got off the pine. He started every game of the NCAA tournament last year. Now he get's blocked by everyone.

Blocked by everyone AND the rim many times not to mention the times he loses the ball before he has the chance to get blocked.

Originally posted by northdakotahusky:
Nolan = Olander. Olander started every NCAA Tourney game as a freshman during our title run. TO showed some flashes early i.e. his shooting and passing vs Cuse in the BET semifinals thriller. Olander never progressed at all and probably had no business at being a UConn recruit.

The same goes for Nolan - he is what he is, a soft big man who is lacking in skill. He doesn't rebound, he doesn't finish, he doesn't even attempt to block a shot but would rather flop. He shouldn't be getting much burn if any if you ask me. Play Facey as much as possible at the 4 with Brimah and the 5 when we go small. Put in Rock for some boards and fouls as well. Sorry Phil but right now you bring absolutely nothing to the table - well actually I lie you bring it when it comes to photo bombing

Nolan has been inexplicably bad. Olander is a good comparison as he seemed to regress. At this point Nolan should be on the bench and staying there unless there is a foul emergency. Unfortunately Okafor getting Brimah in early foul trouble is likely and Nolan may need to play 20 minutes vs. Duke.

I'd much rather have Lubin throw his big body and potential 5 fouls at Okafor than let the paper mache Nolan get torched by him

only thing that could work is that somehow Nolan played great d in the tourney so maybe he steps up and takes a few charges and busts out of the dog house.

Lost in the Coppin State blowout is the fact that Coppin State still put up 85 points, and the perimeter defense was less than impressive. They shot 47% from 3-point range. Considering they had absolutely no interior game, and almost no penetration, you would think that UConn could have at least covered the perimeter.

Originally posted by USNA90:
Lost in the Coppin State blowout is the fact that Coppin State still put up 85 points, and the perimeter defense was less than impressive. They shot 47% from 3-point range. Considering they had absolutely no interior game, and almost no penetration, you would think that UConn could have at least covered the perimeter.
It's tough to gauge defensive effort vs a shitty opponent who plays helter skelter ball like Coppin State did. They pushed the ball up the court and would jack up long jumpers - defense hasn't been the issue this year (aside from those open corner 3s) it's been the offense or lack there of

There was no reason to cover any of Coppin State's 3 point shooters because they came into the game shooting 28% from the 3 point line. It would be basketball malpractice to do anything other than let a bad shooting 3 point team jack all the 3s they want. They just happened to make 15-32 this game. If they made their usual 28% then they lose by a much bigger margin. Although their team sucks, they did put forth a very good effort. Sometimes when you suck and you give 110% you can reduce a 40 point blowout to 21. That is what happened.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT