ADVERTISEMENT

Other Big East Action & Roster Moves

Marquette won its 10th game out of its last 11 tonight 72-56 over Butler to clinch Big East Regular Season Championship. Their only loss in the last 11 was the 15 point butt-whipping they got at UConn. Marquette is an extremely impressive 16-3 in Big East play, led tonight by 21 points and 10 assists from Tyler Kolek who probably should win Big East Player of the Year. With a home game against St. John's Saturday, Marquette is likely to finish 25-6, 17-3 in the Big East. I believe Shaka Smart has wrapped up Big East Coach of the Year with the extremely impressive job he has done with this team.

Crazy finish for those who didn't see it. First Depaul is knocked out of the BE tourney by this goaltending call. Then after further review it is overturned, the 2 points are waived off and Seton Hall goes home.....PS.. great job by the zebra's because if they don't make the GT call it is not allowed to be reviewed.

Last edited:
I assume Fanta is talking attendance numbers ?

BTW....in the ACC

The beatdown UConn gave DePaul seems to have awakened them. They beat Seton Hall and now have Xavier, which they already beat, on the ropes.

Looks like one of Slick Ricks housekeeping deposits has found a new BE home on the other side of the GW bridge............

St. John's sued for $45 million by fired coach Mike Anderson. Sounds a whole lot like Kevin Ollie vs. UConn although UConn had more cause to fire Ollie than SJU did Anderson. SJU handed UConn its worst loss of last season- at home:

Another guy told to leave by Pitino- Posh Alexander to Butler:
Got a replacement from the Ivy:

Dingle is an outstanding player and the son of Dana Dingle, who played for Calipari at UMass. This acquisition makes me wonder if Alleyne now comes off the bench- again - or if Pitino plans on playing 3 guards including his other transfer guard from Iona. Dingle and Alleyne are both shooting guards. Whatever the case, that's a very good backcourt trio right there. Very experienced guys. With the returning center who had an outstanding season last year, Pitino has the makings of a very good team.

Dingle is an outstanding player and the son of Dana Dingle, who played for Calipari at UMass. This acquisition makes me wonder if Alleyne now comes off the bench- again - or if Pitino plans on playing 3 guards including his other transfer guard from Iona.
True...... 247 has some good data, along with now rating players in the portal market. Dingle (#15 / a 6-3/200lb - SG) is by far Pitino's highest rated incoming ( Jenkins was @ #66). So now that the dust is starting to settle, like you mention....wonder if Naheim might want a do over because it seems like he may end up in a bench role. But it does look like Pitino is copying DH 's 1 in /4 out with Soriano his 1 big returning. I put together a chart with some numbers. And it seems NA has already been recruited over so he might've been better staying at Uconn for both parties, if he's gonna have the same role @ St. Johns.

Who've been rated #37 by teams in the transfer market. 247 has Creighton, G-town, Nova and Xavier between their top 15 and 27.

ST-Johns-Transfers-2023-24-May-13th.jpg

Last edited:
With the returning center who had an outstanding season last year, Pitino has the makings of a very good team.
He just picked up a back-up for Soriano. Did almost nothing last year in the Big 12 in 25 games ( 1.2pts/1.7 rebs). But was ranked a top 50 (#48) recruit in 2022 by Rivals.

Only got 5 mpg for the Jayhawks. Looks like he has a strong body. Should be a good depth guy for them now and maybe more once he learns Pitino's system.

Last edited:
Saw an interesting article which says there is a big billionaire money guy standing behind Pitino with lots of NIL monies for St. John's:
Show me the money!!!!!!!!

Be careful what you wish for....you keep thinking money is important and it'll be sure to produce a ticket out of the Big East for Uconn in CR..... when the next opportunity arises, LOL! ( BTW, Big East pays $5 mil a year to schools, B12 - $30 mil per yr to theirs)

" If UConn decides to leave the Big East, it will have to pay a hefty fee. The terms of the contract state that UConn will be responsible for paying the conference $30 million if it withdraws within the first six years of membership. If the school bails within a three-year period after that, $15 million is owed. After 10 years, UConn would owe $10 million. A withdrawal fee can be split up into four payments, if necessary. "

Last edited:
Kalkbrenner is an excellent player and it will be fun watching him and Clingan go head to head as starters. Last year the Big East was loaded with great centers and no shortage this year either with Kalkbrenner, Clingan, Soriano among others......

Reactions: the Blades
That's a pretty significant bump down in my mind, especially coming from Rothstein, whom I respect. But if UConn can snag Cam Spencer I think they will go back into the top 10. UConn is still VERY deep and depth is the formula that worked last year.

I would like to see Dauster's top 25.

UConn lost Andre, Adama, Hawkins, Joey and Alleyne. To me Clingan is still unproven offensively and we do not know what to expect from the freshmen yet, so I can understand why they’re getting bumped down.

CBS has them at #11 , yep, if they can pick up Spencer ( leading scorer for Rutgers), could get a bump up. Crazy that Clingan was a top 5 scorer playing only 13 minutes a game........

#11 Uconn "This ranking is based on the Huskies returning three of the top five scorers - Tristen Newton, Alex Karaban and Donovan Clingan - from a team that won the 2023 NCAA Tournament. That core combined with a top-five recruiting class should have UConn as a real contender to win back-to-back national championships. "

Last edited:
This acquisition makes me wonder if Alleyne now comes off the bench- again - or if Pitino plans on playing 3 guards including his other transfer guard from Iona. Dingle and Alleyne are both shooting guards. Whatever the case, that's a very good backcourt trio right there. Very experienced guys.
Yep Pitino just keeps adding guards (7) so buyer beware, looks like he got sold something that won't be there, a starting role !....I wonder if Alleyne asks for his release because it looks like he's gonna get burried on the pine, in NYC...

Last edited:
I think Nahiem ought to ask for his release and join Richie Springs at Quinnipiac. That way, he can also stay close to Nika Muhl in what will likely be the last college season for both. Another nearby option would be URI. He can probably start for one of those teams.

I think it's pretty clear that Pitino is the one coach out there that could overcome almost 30 years of dismal recruiting by St. John's. It's not out of the question that Pitino could return this program to its glory days of the 1980s, including the legendary 1985 Final 4 team with Chris Mullin, Mark Jackson, Walter Berry, and Bill Wennington, who all played in the NBA. Pitino can coach, he knows basketball, and I think he is now hungry for one more title, to make up for the last one that got vacated. I think they will be a force to be reckoned with in the Big East, starting next year.

The Big East is as stacked with great coaches now as it was in its heyday in the 1980s and 1990s. Maybe moreso. Hurley, Pitino, Miller, Smart, McDermott, Cooley, Matta, are you kidding me? It's as good as it's ever been. UConn needs to stay here and love it and find a way to make football work.

Last edited:
I think it's pretty clear that Pitino is the one coach out there that could overcome almost 30 years of dismal recruiting by St. John's. It's not out of the question that Pitino could return this program to its glory days of the 1980
Yeah, what happens first that, Pitino having a stroke ( at 70+ years old) or getting banned again? Fanta taking alot of heat on social media for being as much a fan boy as Dauster is with Uconn. But in Fanta's case he's got his head in the sand for exactly what Pitino has always been. A snake in the grass . Read the twitter comments for a LOL!

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT