ADVERTISEMENT

Colorado

KhalidShockedTheWorld

Gold Member
Mar 28, 2009
They only beat one top 25 team all year (Arizona by 3 at home), but lost at SMU by only 4. They went 10-8 in the Pac 10 with some blowout losses and were outscored per possession by opponents in conference play. Looking at their results, it is hard to understand how they were given an 8 seed, but they certainly look like a solid club.

Last edited:
I know nothing about Colorado, other than it snows a lot and pot is legal
Just looking at teams that got in and how they were seeded, the PAC-12 jumped the shark.
They appear to be the league being setup to be called overrated

There is more parity in college basketball and I think there will be a lot of upsets of P-5 teams by lower seeds. I didn't see much of the west coast teams this year. I really don't understand how Michigan State is lower seeded than Oregon and Virginia and I will bet good money that Michigan State goes further than those two teams. To me the two best teams in the country are Michigan State and Kansas, and Michigan State beat Kansas earlier this year.

Their best player is big, experienced and averages 17 and 9. They have a few other bigs that have some bulk, which is worrisome against our lean 4s and 5s. Their best shooter is a 6'5 wing that shoots 45% from 3.

The bright side is they shoot 42% overall and no one averages 3apg or over. Which makes me think they don't have a dynamic lead guard.

Rebound and advance, but it won't be easy.

Reactions: Ozzie3178
We can do it. We matchup ok with Kansas and I need Jalen to lock up Wayne Selden like he did back in highschool and aau!!

That tip time sucks. I will be on vacation in Bradenton, Florida at the Yankees-Pirates game Thursday which starts at 1:05 p.m. I was hoping for an evening tip off. Will simply have to score watch on my iphone.

Lol. I'm just messin but yea you could say dad I will go this preseason spring game with you for like 30 minutes then I'm hitting the nearest sports bar to see the UCONN tourney game :)

Ironically I urged Dad to buy the tickets when I noticed the Yankees are playing in Bradenton where my Dad lives. This was a month ago. He is in his 70s and I need to spend time with him while I can and he is still with us and healthy. So I am not really in a position to blow him off although he is a UConn graduate as well and would come watch the UConn game with me if we leave the Yankees game early. I am hoping someone has a TV going there which will solve the problem.

The stats show Colorado is a team that likes to jack up a lot of 3s, and they are hitting a very respectable 39.2% as a team. They are also a decent FT shooting team and have outrebounded their opponents by a good margin.

So UConn will face teams in the 1st round and, if they advance, the 2nd round which have 3 point shooting as major weapons in their arsenal.

I remember when my uncle first started taking me to college basketball games as a kid, and he told me, "in the NCAA tournament, teams that live by the jumpshot are a tough bet, because the first thing a team loses in competitive, high pressure games is the jumpshot. They get contested looks. Which is why teams that defend and rebound and find ways to get easy baskets win in tournament basketball."

The game has changed since then with the 3 point shot, but teams that play good defense and have good defensive rotations can neutralize effective 3 point shooting. This is one reason why UConn and Michigan State have been so consistently successful in the NCAA tournament in the last 20 years.

One thing that concerns me is that the AAC teams, the top teams anyway, are not really lights out 3 point shooting teams. UConn lost to Syracuse earlier this year because they didn't defend the 3 ball, so they will have to do better against Colorado.

Khalid, your uncle is a wise man. Add big arenas to that equation and shooting isn't always as sharp as it is in the regular season against familiar foes and surroundings. We will need Jalen and Daniel to continue to create easy opportunities and Hopefully get Purvis on a few run outs. Then take care of the ball and defend and rebound like its life and death, because it is.

The Hartford Courant just posted this interesting piece on Colorado, analyzing some of the strengths and weaknesses of the Buffaloes. I think the key points made in the article are that Colorado is 4-8 vs the RPI top 50, and their turnover numbers are not good. Their point guard appears to be very turnover prone and hopefully UConn can force some TOs:

http://www.courant.com/sports/uconn...men-insider-colorado-0316-20160315-story.html

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT