ADVERTISEMENT

#18 DePaul vs. UConn WBB

KhalidShockedTheWorld

Gold Member
Mar 28, 2009
This is yet another UConn opponent that is a little bit size challenged. DePaul has 3 girls who are 6'2", and none bigger, meaning that ONO will once again be matched up against an undersized foe and can expect to have her way. It's unclear if Edwards will play, but I do not think she will be needed for this game and likely will not be needed until January 7 at Baylor.

DePaul has played 3 top 25 opponents so far: losing to #2 Louisville by 41, beating #9 Kentucky by 4, and losing to #13 Texas A&M by 2. They are averaging 88 points per game. The stats, however, show that DePaul is not a good defensive team. They have allowed a much higher FG% and 3 point FG% and more rebounds to opponents than what they are getting. Specifically, they are allowing 48.8% FGs to opponents and 35.5% on 3s, much better marks than what DePaul has shot, and they are also being outrebounded by 8 boards a game. Despite those woeful shooting and rebounding stats, remarkably, they have outscored opponents by 9 a game, including the 41 point blowout loss to Louisville:

It seems like their frenetic style of play is causing a lot of turnovers and the assist-TO ratio is where they make up for the shooting and rebounding deficiencies. They are causing 25 TOs a game, which is a lot, and likely means they are pressing a lot. UConn should match up well against such a style. Most teams try to keep UConn out of transition.

One other thing that jumps out at me is that DePaul is outscoring opponents by 52 points in the last quarter- an average of over 7 a game. It's a sign that they are wearing teams down and is moderately concerning if the game is close after 3.

This should be the best team UConn has played to date, but I do not see UConn winning by less than 20 against this team. Look for a final score of possibly 112-90. Many points will be scored in this game. The over/under is 180 or so.

Last edited:
This is yet another UConn opponent that is a little bit size challenged. DePaul has 3 girls who are 6'2"
You ain't kidding, only a little ? Checking the stats you provided, two of the three 6-2 girls haven't played a minute all year and the other one only played 9 mpg and in 5 of their 7 games. Their leading rebounder is a 5-8 guard...and they don't have a starter over 6 feet.
Sonya Morris...G...5-10
Dee Bekelja..... G...5-8
Deja Church... G.....5-10
Lexi Held.........G.....5-10 .
Darrione Rogers...G..5-11

They are definitely size challenged. They don't even have a 6 foot starter! They have been outrebounded by 8 a game. The only thing they seem to excel at is creating TOs.

What's interesting is that this could be a game where Mir McLean might be really effective. She looks like a really good power forward frustrated in a 5'11" body and here is an opponent against which she can actually play the 4 or the 5.

They are giving away 6 inches to ONO who can lick her chops, but half court sets will be minimal in this game. Undoubtedly UConn will go to ONO in any half court action.

Heard on the news tonight that Chrystyn is at 998 points. Her first basket tomorrow night means 1,000 career points and she would seem to have a good shot at 2,000 if she stays for her senior season.

Although UConn won this game by the projected 20-25 point margin, they really did not look good doing it. The shooting stats were not good, again. Geno noted after the game that the team is missing a lot of wide open shots, so he said the coaching emphasis going forward will be to see if they can get more open than wide open shots, so that hopefully, they will start going in.

The FT shooting was scary.

Depaul missed some wide open looks. But so did we and our defense was better.

still trying to find 22 true frosh girls better than Edwards. She might be battling Paige for freshman POY if she went elsewhere.

Reactions: Dominicfrank
Edwards is a great player who will get better and better and better. She is playing well with ONO. Teams cannot double and triple ONO because she can pass and hit Edwards cutting to the hole.

But the team needs to start making wide open shots, or the "more than wide open" shots Geno is hoping to scheme for them.

This game SUCKED but glad it happened now. This team took a big step back but hopefully it snaps back into form.

Edwards reminds me of Tuck when everyone was looking at Stewie. Tuck is an all time favorite of mine and Edwards fits right in there for me. She is a FREAK athlete and just seems to enjoy being out there. She is the best athlete I have seen in a UConn womens jersey in a long time and she is only a Freshman. Scary.

Dom,

The women kind of laid an egg against DePaul. However Edwards and Muhl being back and available was very good news. Edwards will be an important player against Baylor. She is relieving some of the pressure on ONO and playing well with her.

What was weird about the game is that UConn usually speeds teams up and the opponent can't function against UConn's pressure on D and doesn't get back and stop transition. In this game DePaul sped UConn up and UConn was out of synch. UConn's defense bailed them out this game. They held a team averaging 88 a game to 52. But on offense it was the poorest game UConn played so far this year. UConn looked rushed for a lot of the game and were way off with their execution.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT