ADVERTISEMENT

Cam we really land Reddish?

Shaggydog84

Gold Member
Jan 15, 2008
Like everyone in Husky Nation, I'd love to land this huge fish. Yes, I've become someone jaded over the past year with Coach Miller being canned & all of the departures...and the fact that we are still oh-for on '18 recruits. But I see all of these players who have us in their top 5, top 8 and I start dreaming of what could be. I keep telling myself it only takes 1 special recruit to come to Storrs & that could very well get things restarted.

But then I think about why a high profile player would keep us on his list but ultimately chose someone else...and unfortunately for as many good reasons as there are to pick UC, there are just as many reasons why they don't opt for the huskies.

And...none of this is new. It's all been covered in here.

League
Who am I practicing against every day (a huge Calipari recruiting tactic against us)
Concerns about the defections
Concerns about Miller firing
Storrs is still in the boonies...although the campus is looking awesome these days.
Husky linkage: after Ollie, it's only KFree left.

I truly believe all these high profile recruits really connect with KO. But at the end of the day it's just not enough in today's world of college hoops. So, I have to respectfully disagree with the thought that we can still lure a 5 star to Storrs at this point. We have s # of recruits listing us so we'll see. But to start with, my call on Reddish is either Duke or Nova...with UK always lerking. Just don't see us landing this one. Hope I'm way off on this one.

I think of all the coaches he has the best relationship with KO.

From the article it seems he may not take all of his OVs. That's interesting because rumor has it that he will be visiting UConn early September. If he only ends up visiting 2 schools and UConn is one of them that's a really good sign. We shall see soon enough.

Reactions: Shaggydog84
He's going to Duke....we have no chance unfortunately

Almost everyone following his recruiting believes he is going to Duke and people have been saying he was a Duke lean or lock since his sophomore year. We shall see.

If he is nearing his decision and he will only take 2 visits, and UConn is one of them then we have a very legitimate chance. We should know in the next few weeks.

Reactions: UconNell
When was the last time Duke lost a recruit to UConn? I don't even remember it happening after UConn beat Duke in epic 1999 and 2004 Final Four games.

Ben Gordon never got the scholarship offer from Duke. There were definite talking to him but I don't think he got the offer

Duke had Jay Williams, Chris Duhon and Daniel Ewing on their team when Gordon was recruited. Although Duhon kind of sucked, he was a higher ranked player than Ben Gordon. Duke didn't meet Gordon.

Duke had Jay Williams, Chris Duhon and Daniel Ewing on their team when Gordon was recruited. Although Duhon kind of sucked, he was a higher ranked player than Ben Gordon. Duke didn't meet Gordon.
Not exactly. Ewing and Gordon were both in the 2001 recruiting class and Duke prioritized Ewing over Gordon. Gordon wanted a Duke offer but it never came once Duke landed Ewing. K had to be kicking himself for that decision after the 2004 semifinal loss!

He's going to Duke....we have no chance unfortunately

Almost everyone following his recruiting believes he is going to Duke and people have been saying he was a Duke lean or lock since his sophomore year. We shall see.

If he is nearing his decision and he will only take 2 visits, and UConn is one of them then we have a very legitimate chance. We should know in the next few weeks.
When was the last time Duke lost a recruit to UConn? I don't even remember it happening after UConn beat Duke in epic 1999 and 2004 Final Four games.

We beat Duke for Roscoe Smith.

A couple notes I would like to add to the factors that Shaggy put in his OP that makes me SMH !!!....One is that KO has a brand spanking new $40 million basketball palace that JC never had to recruit to.... Yet you almost never hear a peep about it from recruits. Hell.. JC had guys working out in the Guyer gym.... Does KO and company really suck that bad in their presentation to recruits ???....The reason I ask... is it seems like our "back to the future" HC Randy Edsall ( who coached in the B1G & ACC) always has recruits raving about the Uconn practice facilities, the top 20 public aspect of the school along with him mentioning the new Storrs Center & the college town atmosphere as a game changer in recruiting. The newly announced starting QB (David Pindell) mentioned Uconn in the same breath as FB powerhouse Penn St. as far as the college experience he was looking for. So again WTF is KO doing that he can't sell a school with 4 NC ( one just 3 years ago) and the things that Uconn has... as he whiffs over and over, sometimes to the dregs of CBB ?

Last edited:
Thats a great point Blades. I never put that together...but yeah, football recruits are always praising the school academics, facilities...although i havent heard as much about the campus life but that makes perfect sense since it's really turned into a college town. Interesting...

Im guessing theres pressure from opposing coaches on telling recruits KO may not even be there in 2018.....losing recruits/players to Rutgers, St John's, Providence, and even New Mexico is just gut wrenching. Rutgers is #10 right now in the rivals team recruiting....it's early but wtf. The next question may not be who's the next HC or is Scottie Burrell ready, but whether Pikiell would trade a B1G job for an AAC gig...

Like everyone in Husky Nation, I'd love to land this huge fish. Yes, I've become someone jaded over the past year with Coach Miller being canned & all of the departures...and the fact that we are still oh-for on '18 recruits. But I see all of these players who have us in their top 5, top 8 and I start dreaming of what could be. I keep telling myself it only takes 1 special recruit to come to Storrs & that could very well get things restarted.

But then I think about why a high profile player would keep us on his list but ultimately chose someone else...and unfortunately for as many good reasons as there are to pick UC, there are just as many reasons why they don't opt for the huskies.

And...none of this is new. It's all been covered in here.

League
Who am I practicing against every day (a huge Calipari recruiting tactic against us)
Concerns about the defections
Concerns about Miller firing
Storrs is still in the boonies...although the campus is looking awesome these days.
Husky linkage: after Ollie, it's only KFree left.

I truly believe all these high profile recruits really connect with KO. But at the end of the day it's just not enough in today's world of college hoops. So, I have to respectfully disagree with the thought that we can still lure a 5 star to Storrs at this point. We have s # of recruits listing us so we'll see. But to start with, my call on Reddish is either Duke or Nova...with UK always lerking. Just don't see us landing this one. Hope I'm way off on this one.
Is Ricky Moore gone from the staff? Where it says Husky Linkage after Ollie ,its only KFree left??Makes no sense

Yeah, my bad on that one. How can i overlook one of the most unselfish players in husky history. FYI: i don't always make sense. In fact, my percentages for making sense have gone down drastically since hitting 5 0 last year. My family deals with it...so i guess u guys have to as well ;)

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT