ADVERTISEMENT

Boston University

dbaum_

Feb 17, 2014
Another terrible performance at home and we barely beat another low-level team. The shooting was absolutely horrendous and we just settle for jump shots with the shot clock winding down. Careless turnovers and movement on both ends of the floor was just hard to watch throughout the entire game. I know we got the victory but again we are home and it is not a good team we are playing yet we struggle once again. Just got to accept the fact that this is what UConn basketball is this year. It's been seven games and there has not been any improvement in any department. Free throw shooting, rebounding, perimeter defense, turnovers and so on; everything is just bad right now.
If we can't score against a 2-3 zone from Boston University. good luck against Syracuse at Madison Square Garden next week.

The overall defense was not that bad this game, but the offensive attack against the zone sucked moose balls. At times UConn did have good ball movement, but on those occasions the recipient of the pass could not finish the play. There were numerous shots that were makeable that were not made. However, as you noted on many other occasions there was just a lot of passing around the perimeter and a launch of a bad shot as the shot clock wound down. Purvis and Adams really totally sucked this game. I could not believe how badly Jalen played. The team needed him to pick them up on his back and carry them and he had a bunch of bricked shots. Hard to believe after how he played in Maui. The team is not good offensively. Not having Gilbert to penetrate or Larrier in the middle of the zone leaves UConn really vulnerable against zone defenses. Wins will be very hard to come by going forward.

I was at the game and overall it was a terrible game to watch, but the outcome was a strong step forward.

Remember we lost to Wagner and Northeastern at Gample when we were at full strength. BU is arguably better than both Wagner and Northeastern and we beat them at XL with 2 our 3 best players out. That is a step forward. Defense was great.

Shots were not going because guards once again played soft, with their soft floaters, and euro-step moves and poor shooting. If Adams and Purvis do not attempt to drive hard to the rim its going to be a long season.

I was at the game and overall it was a terrible game to watch, but the outcome was a strong step forward.

Remember we lost to Wagner and Northeastern at Gample when we were at full strength. BU is arguably better than both Wagner and Northeastern and we beat them at XL with 2 our 3 best players out. That is a step forward. Defense was great.

Shots were not going because guards once again played soft, with their soft floaters, and euro-step moves and poor shooting. If Adams and Purvis do not attempt to drive hard to the rim its going to be a long season.
Good points AFG. Need, need, need to take this as a step forward. For their confidence...and our mental stability :)
Not sure i agree that the D was great. The stats say they did...but when i watch a guy jump over us for a rebound it is so deflating to me because it's just effort & technique. We deflected a # of passes, but i thought our overall D is still sub-par IMHO.

Agreed on our guards needing the ability to get to the rim & cause contact...just not sure i want Purvis getting off his feet. He is a 5th year senior and if he cannot remain in control then i would prefer he just stay out behind the 3 point arc & take his set shot with the hopes of hitting 33% over the long haul...It is a long road to hoe with no true point guard, but let's see what type of grit they have. Guys just need to step out of their comfort level to get things done. It's basketball & they have some talented players. Now it's time to dig in & get dirty.

Reactions: Ozzie3178
I too am getting tired of the soft Eurostep moves driving to the hole. I never saw Kemba do Eurosteps. He put his head down and drove, took heavy contact and ate teams up at the FT line. He won games singlehandedly driving and getting fouled. I vividly remember the game against Wichita State in 2010 Maui Classic it was like a 1-2 point game with 8 minutes to go. I was watching at a sports bar in New York City and I told everyone there, "for the next 8 minutes Kemba Walker will drive to the hole, get fouled every time, make his FTs and UConn will win." And that is precisely what happened.

Here is the problem with the Jalen Eurostep: he drives to the hole, avoids the contact with the Eurostep, throws up a contorted floater usually off the glass which misses, doesn't get fouled, the other team rebounds, empty possession and no points. Happening way too much.

Last edited:
Good to see some things never change with Purvis: the poor handle; the passing up the open jump shot so he can dribble into traffic in the lane; the inability to finish through contact; and the season wouldn't be complete without my favorite Puvis move - stepping out of bounds for absolutely no reason.

Reactions: Ozzie3178
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT