ADVERTISEMENT

Boatright..........

Dominicfrank

Aug 28, 2004
This kid has been through more than any kid in 4 years save AJ Price maybe ? One of AJ's was self inflicted so give it to Boat.

He was my favorite player last year and an easy choice this year. I love his family, personally met them this year, they are just good people.

Boat gets what he deserves and that is taking this team to the tourney. I think we are in as long as we don't get blown out tomorrow. Boat with a win tomorrow solidifies his status as the NEXT Great guard after BAZZ and gets to hand the tourch hopefully to Adams.

So happy for Ryan, well done.

This post was edited on 3/15 3:25 AM by Dominicfrank

Hey Dom
Good stuff. He really has matured as i think about him as a frosh and soph. Would love for him to go out with a game or two in the big dance. I would respectfully disagree thought in that i think they have to win or it's NIT bound. Not enough juice in the AAC to get them there with 20 wins and no resume building w's. Win and the point is moot :)

So proud of what Boatright has become and it has been a joy to watch him grow over 4 seasons. I thought heading into the year that if we had a down year that it would be because Boat didn't handle the lead guard and captain role well, but win or lose today that is certainly not the case.

I want nothing more than for Boat to get a chance to play in the tourney as a senior and I have to believe that the way he is playing that he is determined to get this team back to the dance. Let's complete the 4 games in 4 days sweep and go dancing again fellas!

For me and it is tough for me to day but I will... Ryan is in my top 3 favorite huskies of all time!

Much for the same reasons you stated Dom. Will always love that kid and can't wait to see his number hanging one day from the Husky wall of Honors!!

As for this game. FTs bite us again... Been a theme all year. If we just made like 3 more a whole different outcome today

Its all the big men........FT's hurt but the lack of ANY legit Big man defense for 80% of the game made SMU look a lot better than they are. I think SMU blows in the NCAA........really average team.

the lack of ANY legit Big man defense for 80% of the game made SMU look a lot better than they are.
In the first half there were WAY too many easy inside baskets. A lot of this had to do with Brimah's foul trouble. Brimah has to make himself stronger and more reliable in staying on the floor. He is a game changer when he learns how to do that. But right now he is erratic and unreliable against team that have competent personnel inside.

As I said in the other thread Boat is a warrior but a solo warrior when it comes to a true ball handler on this team.
I think the 4 days in a row was to much for him with all he does for this team, so not getting the bye was a huge
factor for him and for this loss....

The big men we've lived with but the refs let alot of physical play go down low until Uconn's guys fought back and then it was
the parade of foul issues that we've seen B4 on top of only having a 3 man frontcout with Facey out. I'm sure Brown knew
all this and that was his plan....but they are what they are....
.....more important is you can't have the leader shoot 1-12 and go 1-9 on 3pt's and look any farther than that....the sad
thing is Boat gave everything he had but I think the 4 days and the beating he took today won out....beyond that SMU plays
smart ball...they don't beat theirself.
This post was edited on 3/15 8:02 PM by the Blades

Big Men have been an Achilles heel for us all year and for the most part last several years. We have had maybe one decent big in Oriakhi the last 4-5 years..... This is why with Stone if we can close him we are a NC type team next year yes next year IMO! We will have the most athletic backcourt Uconn has ever had in Adams and Purv. Mix in a stronger DHam and a front court who is more talented and experienced with Brimah and Enoch adding length and depth as well.

Although the main question even with Stone will be who will be the leader along with Amida on the team and bring the toughness for 40 minutes daily!

Without Stone still can be very good but will still be guard reliant on O

Tough pill to swallow today but this season wasn't lost on this game, it was lost with shitty inconsistent play throughout the year. You take care of business vs. Yale and Houston as you should and you are in the tournament as an at large.

Too streaky of a team that had too many flaws and I'm just upset that Boatright went out with such a bad game, he deserved much better and truly gave his heart and soul all throughout a tough season.

Brimah getting two fouls in the 1st half, both of which were not him trying to block a shot, should neverrrrrr happen. If he wants to continue to lack court awareness and general bball IQ he will never amount to much. Having his 7 foot ass parked on the bench in the 1st half allowed SMU to abuse Nolan and Hamilton and we could never recover. The same kind of game in that Duke tilt, he has to learn to be smarter and not allow the refs and their whistles to dictate his effectiveness.

The only positive I can take away from this game is that Purvis has made some serious strides and hopefully he can keep it up to team up with Jalen Adams and DHam for a great trio. Other than that I'm glad this heat wrenching season has come to a close, NIT is not acceptable to me and I cannot get into those games

Great points on Boat. Tough to swallow him not getting to play in the tourney. it's tough cuz when u look at how he's progressed as a player and as a man, it's truly remarkable. I wasn't sure, to be honest, if it would happen but it's been great watching his development. I'm glad he got the trophy last year cuz otherwise in his 4 yrs the ncaa tourney was a bust...2012 early exit i think to ISU, 2013 grounded, and 2015 NIT. As someone mentioned in this thread, it will be great to see his jersey on the Wall in Gampel.

And yes, it was good to see RP breakout from a shooting perspective. I think as part of his growing process, he needs to add other stats to his box score. It's amazing that he only had 1.1 assist per game, i dont care that he's the off guard. He needs to become a better and more confident passer. And for a big guard, averaging 2.2 boards, 1/2 of what Boat averaged...is not acceptable. Both Purvin & Calhoun, when u look at their stats, are simply scorers. No boards, no assists...

Brimah, i've said it in an older thread that there's no way if i were a GM i would pick him in the 2nd round. Someone reminded me that players get picked on their potential so that was why he was projected so high in one early season mock draft. He still has time to change my opinion of him relative to being drafted but his play this season has not changed that. I love that he's a high motor guy, but unless he grasps that IQ part, it's gonna be a head shaker his remaining two years. Doris Burke actually hit the nail on the head with AB during the game about trying to block shots that are basically unblockable.

Of course i'm already fired up for next year (and i will eventually get fired up for their game against ASU in the tournament we shall not name. Let's hope we get another big to go along with Enoch...who, btw looked very good in the mixed tape that Blades i think posted. I think it's getting to the point where players are becoming more needed to produce their 1st year than any time in the recent history of UC hoops...not sure that's a good thing but it will makes things interesting.

To the end, i may be off here, but i think the effort was always (well almost) there, it's the fundamentals/techniques that have to improve...and who better than KO to teach.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT