ADVERTISEMENT

Blaudschun: UConn hires new AD

Love this!! A $EC guy!

He will fundraise and get us out of AAC ASAP!!

Very diverse sports background. Arizona native spent the his longest stint at Arizona St (1996-2006) And since FB drives the bus in college athletics, he played FB & served as a graduate assistant football coach, comes from a FB family ( father played at Arizona St and was later a FB coach & AD)

Plus interesting BB mention when he was at VCU (2010-12) " Benedict directed a campaign to raise $3.5 million for a new club seating and suite project, raised $1.5 million in 36 hours to retain Head Basketball Coach Shaka Smart and developed a dynamic sales plan for the ticket sales staff, resulting in record sales in basketball and baseball. "

"It's very important to us he had experience with the best programs with the country," Herbst said. "He understands what makes a great program. He believes as all of do that we're at the level of the Power Five as far as sheer winning and championships. The winning we have done is fairly unusual and was compelling to our candidates."

Also regarding the OP I guess Blauds/Jersey guy didn't have clue as to who Uconn would hire with all the names he dropped on us in this thread:
Warde Manuel leading candidate for Michigan AD position

Last edited:
Also interesting ad Uconn ran ( Big 12 Country) in the Dallas Morning News:

Mark Norris ‏@markwnorris
Full page ad in today's @dallasnews from #UConn ahead of Thurs. night's #SMU game at Moody. Interesting.

CcajA5_W0AEs-Fh.jpg

Doc, why ask Ozzie. ?.........gotta get the info direct from the real " experts " ( LOL !) on the Uconn Conference Realignment Board ...though it does get amusing from time to time !

LOL... Blades where is that thread. No idea it was even out there lol.
Anyway Doc my push has and always will be the B1G

I don't believe in the B12 and still feel it may dissolve obviously depends on what Tex and Ou decide.

Would love to get out of this conference ASAP of course regardless!!

Reactions: UConnFamily
Oh ok. Yea I only peruse this site... I don't like doing the other sites

Oz what is your best guess? Acc B10 or b12

Big ten IMO Herbst has been positioning them for that jump since taking over. Academics on the rise along with that new science technology campus, increasing endowment, cultural fit...

I honestly believe the B1G has told/given UConn a blueprint or list of things to get done and when the B1G renegotiated their TV deals UConn will be invited with whoever else they have on the radar.

All depends on if the ACC or Big 12 dissolves. One of those conferences will, IMO

Yeah, the Big Ten has seemed to be what Uconn is building for with research $$$, the scholly hockey add, etc. but there is the AAU Requirement that seems like a roadblock and will the B1G expand and/or do they need to ? Plus if they do expand Maryland has already proved the ACC grant of TV rights are negotiable, so it could be Uconn backfilling into the ACC for a couple of schools like Virginia or G-Tech or one in the Carolina's, etc who are already AAU schools . Either way, Uconn doesn't get to choose.

Last edited:
I think part of the AAU roadblock is UCONN'S hospital in Farmington doesn't get counted for research $$$ or something along those lines

Well like conference affiliation they choose you ... you don't choose them. "AAU membership is by invitation only, which requires an affirmative vote of three fourths of current members." Also the last 2 members were added in 2010/2012...before that it was almost 10 years.

Last edited:
I don't believe in the Big 12 either. I can easily see Texas leaving, the conference imploding in a few years and then if UConn is part of it, having no place to go at that point. I said a long time ago that the existing conference structures are not going to be the same 5 years from now. Just as they were different 5 years ago. The question is what new conference or conferences might emerge. I also think existing Power 5 conference schools could get kicked out or demoted like Temple was in the Big East. At some point the perennial losers and non money makers will be looked at as leeches. If it is a pure capitalist system money makers replace those who don't make as much money. Even if there is revenue sharing at some point the schools bringing in the most money rebel against the leeches that bring in the least. This is all common sense and basic economics.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT