ADVERTISEMENT

Biggest Trap Game for Every Top 25 College Football Team in 2013

It's interesting that this would be the one game picked for Michigan--Michigan does have some classic trap games in its Big Ten schedule, including Northwestern, who is rated in the Top 25. But maybe the point is to pick a game nobody thinks Michigan will lose.

I think the Huskies have some upset potential, but it's not a great matchup for them--Michigan is generally very content to grind out a game. It's the Big Ten style. I think UConn can pull an upset if they can somehow, some way jump out to an early lead. Michigan has a young team and this will be there first road game, so we don't know how they'll respond to serious adversity. Scoring on Michigan's defense will not be easy, though, unless Whitmer has improved a lot form last year. Maybe a special teams break or two, a defensive touchdown...UConn needs to make something happen early.

The Huskies also must stuff the run. Michigan wants to be a running team, but they are not great at it, especially without Denard Robinson this year. UConn should be relatively well equipped to do this--at least it plays more to their strength than defending the pass. Gardner is going to suprise people with his passing this year, but still, Michigan is not loaded with receiving weapons, and just lost its #2 WR for the season. Beware Jeremy Gallon though. Little guy, plays big.

We'll also see how UConn reacts to having a lot of Michigan fans in the house. The home field advantage may be somewhat diminished. I expect a Michian win but if some things break right for UConn, an upset is plausible. As a Michigan fan, I'm a bit worried about this one.

Should be a great night and the energy amazing, if Uconn fans can get up for Baylor you add
the Michigan fans plus the temp seats and I expect the place to be LOUD !

Robert Griffin III:
"The thing that people think is when you go to
these big stadiums and they have 80,000 people or 100,000 people, that
these are the toughest stadiums to play at, but really, those aren't.
When you have that many people, most of the time, the fans are pretty
far away from the field. The toughest places to play are the ones that
are jam-packed, are really tight to the field, and sit about 45,000
people. When we played at UConn my freshman year, that was the loudest
place I've ever been as a football player. The stands are right next to
the field, it was packed, and everyone was yelling. That was probably
the coolest place for me to play at aside from Texas, Texas A&M, and
Nebraska."

Blades--you said "great NIGHT"--any reason to think this is going to be a night game? I kind of figured it would be a 330 start.

Your right maybe "night" was the wrong word, I guess TV will decide, but I'm not sure if they (ESPN or Uconn's syndicated deal) control it since it's an OOC game. I know the Maryland game the week before (7:30pm start) was made a night game by Uconn because:
" UConn, it is my understanding, asked the American for a late start in observance and out of respect for Yom Kippur."
According to DC- Starting Times For Two 2013 games

This post was edited on 8/27 12:08 PM by the Blades

This will be ESPN/ABC all the way, thanks to the Big Ten's deal with the network. From Michigan's perspective, this profiles as a 330 start, unless ESPN has slim pickings for night games that week. That seems possible, though, because 9/21 isn't a Saturday full of great matchups. Auburn @ LSU, KSU @ Texas, Tennessee @ Florida, Purdue @ Wisconsin...nothing great. Best game that day is Michigan State @ Notre Dame, but that's a 330 NBC game.

I'm pretty sure the home teams TV deal(network) always takes precedent on the first tier but since both teams have ESPN
deals it doesn't make a difference. I was just talking in terms of if Disney doesn't pick it up and it ends up an SNY game.
(which SNY picks up from ESPN Plus and Uconn has one year left on that deal)

This post was edited on 8/27 3:07 PM by the Blades

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT