ADVERTISEMENT

Battle 4 Atlantis - Uconn vs. Michigan

the Blades

Gold Member
Jan 20, 2003
Starts press conference with condolences " Former Michigan FB coach Lloyd Carr's 5-year-old grandson died Monday morning after a yearlong bout with brain cancer." But here's Beilein's presser:
John Beilein Media Roundtable - UConn

Starters:
10 Derrick Walton Jr.......6-1/ 190 G JR Detroit, Mich. (Chandler Park Academy)
23 Caris LeVert ..............6-7/ 205 G SR Pickerington, Ohio (Central)
34 Mark Donnal.............6-9 /240 F JR Monclova, Ohio (Anthony Wayne)
3 . Kameron Chatman ...6-8 /215 G/F SO Portland, Ore. (Jefferson HS)
24 Aubrey Dawkins.........6-6 / 205 G/F SO Palo Alto, Calif. (New Hampton Prep [N.H.]) OR
21 Zak Irvin .....................6-6 /215 G/F JR Fishers, Ind. (Hamilton Southeastern)

Reserves:
22 Duncan Robinson ........6-8/ 210 G/F RS SO New Castle, N.H. (Phillips Exeter Academy [N.H.])
12 M.A. Abdur-Rahkman ...6-4 /185 G SO Allentown, Pa. (Catholic Central)
32 Ricky Doyle ..................6-9 / 250 F SO Cape Coral, Fla. (Bishop Verot)
2 Spike Albrecht ...............5-11/ 175 G SR Crown Point, Ind. (Northfield Mount Hermon [Mass.])
5 D.J. Wilson .....................6-10 / 240 F RS FR Sacramento, Calif. (Capital Christian School)

Michigan Basketball ‏@umichbball 16h16 hours ago
Ballroom free throws anyone?

CUnKBNEUkAARAdg.jpg

Last edited:
Read systems that have AXS TV are Frontier, Dish, Direct and AXS( Mark Cuban's station) is offering it free for other systems in CT so if you don't have one of those...
it sounds like a sports bar trip.....Amore wrote earlier in the week about TV options

Last edited:
Yes.... just found this !!!!
Dom Amore ‏@AmoreCourant 18h18 hours ago
If U have Comcast/Xfiniti, AXS - @UConnMBB game will B on Channel 90 in Hartford, Ch 192 in wtby, seymr, norwch o-lyme area, 190 rest of CT.

Dom Amore ‏@AmoreCourant 17h17 hours ago
Right now, @UConnMBB-Mich (and other UC games on AXS) will be available on: Comcast, Thames Valley, DirecTV, DISH and Frontier FIOS. .... Watch the UConn-Michigan game Wed night on DirecTV (Ch 340), DISH (Ch 167), Thames Valley Comm (Ch 702) or FrontierFiOS (Ch 1106)

Thanks Blades. I have Frontier as my provider of cable. Sounds like I will have to go to Eli's tonight - that's where I usually go for sports bar games. I don't think there is too much else going on tonight, so I should get a TV to myself. I remember 2 years ago when UConn played SMU at Gampel and shot 30% FGs and lost I watched that game at Eli's. I hope an Eli's jinx isn't in effect. That was the last game I watched there.

So far Gonzaga is taking it to Washington. It's amazing to me that Sabonis, who is clearly a future first round NBA draft pick likely in the lottery, is coming off the bench for Gonzaga. I think Gonzaga will be the team UConn must beat in this tournament when all is said and done. I look for a UConn-Gonzaga final but we shall see what happens.

Some interesting notes- Syracuse made 14 3s against Charlotte today, and Michael Gbinije dropped 26 for the Cuse. After the game, Syracuse sent out Gbinije to be interviewed by ESPN's Andy Katz, who is apparently working as ESPN's sideline reporter at the Battle of Atlantis. It made me whether Jim Boeheim may be boycotting interviews with ESPN. As you may recall Boeheim had a very testy and downright nasty exchange with Katz, deliberately embarrassing Katz in a postgame press conference after a UConn-Cuse game a few years ago:

Stay tuned for more possible Katz-Boeheim drama tomorrow.

Michigan is being made to look like they suck donkey balls on offense whenever UConn seriously Ds up. Facey is playing great and Sammy is showing who the real Sam Cassell Jr. is all about.

Boxscore ..... 60 - 74

Quick thoughts- Loved the team defense....glad KO shortened the bench ( less Omar, more Sam) ...Purvis does alot of stuff good (pit bull on D) but his TO's and FT's could be a problem in close games.... I thought they took their foot off the pedal and settled for some bad shots when they got up big....Daniel was Daniel...nice to have a big like Miller to knock down some FT's when Mich made their push because it was getting to close for comfort and team 62.5% ain't cuttin' it......next !

I was also horrified watching those two missed FTs by Purvis (neither one was close) and it was a weak closeout to the game by UConn, but all the final stats very good except FTs.......50% FGs, 32% FGA, UConn solidly outrebounded Michigan, 8-20 on 3s, all very good. FTs need to be cleaned up and I agree that Rodney will be fouled in close games if he keeps hoisting up FTs that look like that. And I think the next 2 will be closer games than yesterday.

Cuse zone is the weakest it's been in years. The back line isn't a typical cuse back line and they've been cheating/pushing the back line up more than usual this year. If they do that today Hamilton will be throwing lobs to Brimah or whomever all game long.

Charlotte is an awful team. Not Maine bad but still a very bad team. Their team was gutted after they hired mark price at the end of last season. Cuse win over them not impressive when considering the talent level of charlotte.

I really hope Enoch gets some quality minutes because I fee like his body will be needed in a potential matchup with the big guys of Gonzaga which has a monster front line.

We may see more Adams and Cassell over Purvis in close games because of the FT shooting. Adams still is learning how to play team offense at this level, but his intensity on defense is why he plays so much.

Cassell gave a nice spark off the bench. I think it will be a different guy off the bench that helps each night, which shows our quality depth. How many more of Sam'sshots were waved off because of moving screens?

The early rebounding pissed me off, but they remedied that quickly. And the turnovers should be lower. Once Hamilton can eliminate those 4-5 brain farts, he's going to be as valuable as anyone in the country. He's such a matchup nightmare.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT