ADVERTISEMENT

Auburn- Battle of Atlantis, 1st Round

KhalidShockedTheWorld

Gold Member
Mar 28, 2009
Auburn, like UConn, is unbeaten, and untested. Against their only opponent of note, USF, they trailed by 7 at the half, before winning by 6. If you are wondering if that is the same USF that went 4-10 in the AAC last year, yes, its the same guys.

Auburn has some size up front- their front line is 7'1", 6'10" and 6'6", and they have smallish guards. Their best player is 6'10" Jabari Smith. He is a freshman, but is averaging close to a double double and will be a good test for Sanogo, who figures to be matched up against him. Auburn's 7'1" center does no appear to be much of an offensive threat.

The last time UConn played Auburn, in December 2017, Auburn laid a serious 89-64 beatdown on UConn, and the game was not as close as that score. Auburn toyed with UConn in that game and was vastly superior in size, athleticism and strength. I was shocked watching that game, and that was the game where I became certain Ollie would be fired at the end of that season.

As we all know, UConn has seriously upgraded its talent since that pathetic 2017-18 season. Nobody is expecting Auburn to lay any kind of a beatdown on UConn. I would be surprised if Auburn is favored in this game, but it might be. I would expect no more than a 2.5 point spread either way. It's a losable game for both of these teams, and as such it should be fun.

Reactions: permit22
WED--- 2:30pm TV-ESPN

Here's the numbers on the starters & rotation players (click image)
5-Auburn.jpg

Hurley v. Hurley would be amazing. We saw it in the NFL with a Manning vs. Manning football game and a Harbaugh vs. Harbaugh Super Bowl. It needs to happen in college basketball!

we’ve gone out of our way to rip defeat out of the jaws of victory.

blow double digit lead for the most of the second half-check.
blow a 2 point lead at the end of regulation-check.
blow a 4 point lead at the end of OT-check.

it starts with the defense. Just way too many points given up.

Simply an incredible game. Auburn is a tough team and didn't want to lose, nothing more nor less. Sometimes the other team deserves some credit.

If you look at UConn's stats in this game, they all look GREAT, except for the 24 TOs. UConn outshot Auburn 50%-43%, made 15 3s, out-rebounded a big Auburn team 48 to 35, shot 84% on FTs (32 for 38), and had 24 assists to Auburn's 13. Those are all great numbers. What kept Auburn in the game was the 24 TOs, and UConn's weak handling of Auburn's pressure, which was pretty good. But overall, these are the stats of a manly UConn squad, and this cannot be denied:
Cole and Gaffney were CASH MONEY on FTs late, and that means a lot, as we saw in the 2014 NCAA tournament. You make FTs in tourney type games at this rate, and you win.

Yeah I was just about to post about the turnovers. Sanogo was a beast with 30, but 8 turnovers is Russell Westbrook like and at least Westbrook gets 10 assists, Not 1. He also didn’t dunk a ball that got blocked from behind, which gave Auburn some lIfe.

turn it over 10 times and we win 85-72 in regulation.

The officiating was also bad. Both ways.

love this team, but we could use a lock down perimeter defender. Ricky Moore have any eligibility left?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT